Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 07-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #421
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I went to Atco las night...

The DA hovered around +1,800.

So my original goal with my power mods was to have an M6 SS that could run in the 11s in almost any reasonable DA. This would make my SS competitive with almost any NA M6 car and also a few stock FI M6es. I am getting close to my goal.

I loaded up my SS with my conservative E85 6,500 Shift limit tune. I also got my shift light working and now we all know No Lift Shifting is real. I wanted to try that too. Hats off to the early NLS believers. It definitely IS there.

As to the shift light I was disappointed I bought a light that only has one RPM setting, but oh well way better than nothing. If you want my Autometer shift light PM Me an offer. (Auto Meter 3387 Sport-Comp 2-1/16" Level 1 Digital Pro-Shift)

Anyway the shift light worked pretty well and is in nice spot on the top of my Aeroforce vent pod.

As to NLS being an ET benefit, the jury is out. It seems like it pulls a little timing on the shift.

But now with a real shift light I am more consistent. My three runs:

12.114@116.95
12.093@117.90
12.091@118.19

We can see the DA going down a little 1,800 DA was a low point I think.

No good racing. I did race an interesting clean green mid 90s Mustang GT that was spraying. He smoked me on the launch and then he had problems getting down the track. No wonder he did not lift his hood in the lanes. He said he is coming back for a rematch. Nice guy though he was not looking for a $$ run.

So I smoked the ailing GT and then raced a rather slow Porsche 15 second Mecan twice.

It was a very weird night where the starter was running the bikes and Slick tired T&T cars twice for every street car run. It made me frustrated especially when I wanted to head home. He was either told to do that or he can't remember things that happened a few minutes ago. I was especially frustrating when he waved some slick tired cars up where they spent like 5-10 minutes fooling with tire pressure in front of the lights.

At one point I waved to him and then he came over literally hollering at me that I needed to keep my cool while I waited. What the... I waved to him. Very strange. I hope they train or replace him.

I know the real racers racing for $$ get priority. Makes sense to me. But if this keeps happening I will wave again. Maybe I will get kicked out for losing my temper.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #422
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night as the DA was a little better around +900. I made 2 runs. before the rain hit. Amazingly Atco opened where it was drizzling and later raining everywhere but at the track. Finally around 8:15 it closed in and I left. I feel bad, the Gamblers did not get to finish.

My first run was 12.012@118.73. Oh so close!

My second run was against a good looking blue LS1 GTO from NY with a bad a$$ sounding cam. He was stuck in the mid 12s though. I ran 12.071@118.68 to his 12.798@110.38. I did short shift 1st and over rev 2nd or it might have been an 11.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #423
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Damn close. Surprised you haven't gotten there yet. This fall should be great for you with your mineshaft air at Atco. How's Pat doing these days?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #424
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Damn close. Surprised you haven't gotten there yet. This fall should be great for you with your mineshaft air at Atco. How's Pat doing these days?
DA has been about +900 - +2,500. Still not so bad.

I have been in the high 11s easy in good air, but I was hoping with my latest round of mods to get into the 11s even in +2,500 DA.

I am close. Still working on the tune. I have a new one I could try but was rained out tonight. And now I am thinking adding a drag pack to complete the bolt-on process. There is not much else I can besides get even more seat time.

As for Pat he is not even bothering to bring his GT to Atco in the summer weather. No one to run he says. He just comes to watch. Now he is eyeing up the 2018 GT. LOL
Old 07-29-2017, 05:56 AM   #425
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Seems very strange to me that your car is not going faster with E85 than it did with pump gas. You are getting tunes from a professional, correct?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #426
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
DA has been about +900 - +2,500. Still not so bad.

I have been in the high 11s easy in good air, but I was hoping with my latest round of mods to get into the 11s even in +2,500 DA.

I am close. Still working on the tune. I have a new one I could try but was rained out tonight. And now I am thinking adding a drag pack to complete the bolt-on process. There is not much else I can besides get even more seat time.

As for Pat he is not even bothering to bring his GT to Atco in the summer weather. No one to run he says. He just comes to watch. Now he is eyeing up the 2018 GT. LOL
Good to hear, love the back and forth between you two. I enjoy this thread, keep us updated.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #427
Fraxum

Quote:
Good to hear, love the back and forth between you two. I enjoy this thread, keep us updated.
Once Pat gets his 2018 it will be game back on!

First he needs to sell his 10 second 2017 GT.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #428
Fraxum

I went to Atco last night....

It was a pretty good air for a summer night which started at +1,500 DA and later dropped to +900. But it was a frustrating night for the 9 + 10 street car lanes. We got a couple of runs in when the track opened, but then only got 2 more for the next three and a half hours. What is happening is they are running the bikes and slick tired cars over and over rather than letting the street tired cars go. The real Gambler racing of course gets first priority, that makes sense. But why punish the street lanes? There was a ton of grumbling and I have never seen Pat so mad.

But it was fun to have Snowblind there. He was fast as usual running 11.55 on his second run. Amazing for a self tune and ported car. His car is fast and he did it on his own.

As for me I made progress with my tune and now it looks like my shifting problems are over. I got to to run 4 times. The first was against Pat's last S550 Coyote. I ran a so so 12.091@117.90 to the GTs 10.864@131.37. Close race! LOL. Then I ran a forgettable solo 12.191@117.67. I hit the limiter on the 1-2 shift.

But then after the long delays I bumped up my shift light RPM and made two more runs, both 11.8s. Great! I have reached my goal, that is, to run 11s even in so so air. That 11.839@119.75 is my second fastest run ever. Good things will happen in the fall air. My goal is 11.6, but we will have to see. I have to be ready for Pat's 2018 A10 GT next spring. He is coming for me.......

Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #429
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Congrats! Love it when a goal is reached.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #430
Fraxum

Quote:
Congrats! Love it when a goal is reached.
Or so I thought.

I went to Atco last night....

It was pretty crowded and the DA hovered around +1,200-1,400. It turns out my SS still can run close to 120 MPH but I have a much harder time getting into the 1.8 60' range. My theory is this is the fault of the MSD intake lowering the mid range torque and requiring such high rpm shift consistency. And the A8 SS experts agree. So I thought the MSD was more suited to the M6 but I think it is the other way around. One day I may switch back to a ported stocker and see what happens.

I had two okay runs 12.082@119.43 and 12.067@119.18 and two runs where i missed 2nd. How did that happen? Maybe being tired and running on Monster is the explanation.

What was interesting was lining up with a mildly modified solid axle Coyote M6 that was faster than my SS and better driven. It was an immaculate lime green M6 with an awesome looking drag pack, a CAI, some suspension work, and a pro tune. The owner explained his goal with the car is to work hard on getting the most out of a mild combination without spending a ton of cash. Sort of my goal too but I spent a lot more on my car and my mods. What was even cooler is he enjoys taking his kids out in the green meanie. Having a car seat on board is a good luck token I think.

He ran 11.936@117.30 spinning at the line and an 11.791@117.62 when I let him have the left lane. He wasn't missing 2nd.

He said, and I believe him, that he has run as fast as 11.5 and in good air and with a 5K clutch dump he can get some air under the tires. See below. He had some nice pics I had him text me. I told him there is another solid axle bolton M6 GT that has more work done that also can get air and even faster 1/4s. It turns out they know each other and the green Mustang guy helped the red Mustang guy set up his car for fast times. Why can't I remember peoples names? It's a problem for me.

I can just imagine the coming Camaro shout downs about this yet another fast Coyote if anyone reads this drool any more. This green GT does not run only at Atco. But here is the saving grace. It turns out the S550 auto GTs are just as fast as the solid axle Coyotes, but the M6 S550 Coyotes are not. So with both cars on IRS and M6 right now the Camaro has the advantage. Once the 2018s hit the track things might change with that 7,500 rpm redline.

Here you go Mustang naysayers:

Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #431
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Looking forward to your results if you ever switch to ported stocker. I have heard such mixed things about the MSD intake on the Camaro.

Damn your post makes me miss my green 13 GT. I loved that car.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #432
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
I may have some extra free time in the fall Mark, once I see how a diff swap performs (installing it Thursday) and get some passes with that...then i'll swap intakes with you and see if it helps your times.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #433
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
My car ran faster than that s197 when I was stock tune and drag pack. The 6gen is superior period.

You're trapping 120 now and could be smoking him if you were launching as hard.

With a 5k clutch dump and good conditions you would be bottom 11s. I don't know why you compare your 1.8-1.9 60 ft soft launches to a guy going banzai and think it shows something ? Apples to apples you would be ahead no problem

I haven't had a problem with any na mustangs. Even with them having a converter I just been slaying them
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #434
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
My car ran faster than that s197 when I was stock tune and drag pack. The 6gen is superior period.

You're trapping 120 now and could be smoking him if you were launching as hard.

With a 5k clutch dump and good conditions you would be bottom 11s. I don't know why you compare your 1.8-1.9 60 ft soft launches to a guy going banzai and think it shows something ? Apples to apples you would be ahead no problem

I haven't had a problem with any na mustangs. Even with them having a converter I just been slaying them
Sure the A8 SSes have an advantage over even the S550 autos agreed. But here I am comparing the solid axle coyote to the CA6 SS. And has an A8 SS run 11.5 with just a tune, CAI, tires, and a little suspension work?

And you can't really clutch dump the M6 SS @ 5K. There is this weird 5k limiter that seems to roll back timing if you try. I have tried some 4,500 clutch dumps that didn't go so well.

But you could be right if that limiter could be tuned out, stronger axles were installed, softer rear springs were installed, the rear camber was toed in, and the diff will take that. Not sure I would want to drive that SS around for fun though. The solid diff has a basic advantage launching the car. As for me I would rather have a good handling car with a manual for the most driving fun.