Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Mikewired

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2Lt RS
Buying a 14 2LT, Anything in I should look for?

I am buying a 2014 2LT V6 with RS and Color Hud and 36k miles today and is their anything I need to look for? I have test driven it and all seems fine. In the passenger seat I thought I felt a slight hesitation during low speed shifts but did not feel it while driving. Oil on the dipstick was between marks. Are these LFX engines oil users like the 5.3's? We started looking for Mustangs and each and every on had issues like bad vibration, driveline clunk, and fenders popping out. These were 15's and 16's in the 20k mile range. The Mustangs all seem to have had bad evap cores on the A/C. Thanks just checking if I should be aware or look for something.
Mikewired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I have the same basic car and it’s been reliable overall. Mine does not use oil between changes. I added a throttle controller because the stock throttle response is pretty laggy and might be what you noticed in the passenger seat. I bought mine two years ago with 19k and have 41k on it now. I had one issue with the key getting stuck in the ignition which is a fairly common problem with 14s and 15s and is either the auto shifter or the key solenoid. Mine was fixed under warranty. Other than that it’s been a great car.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
The other two cylinders? Welcome to the club and yes, we tend to have 'spirited discussions' from time to time regarding the V6 v V8. You'll like either one.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:42 PM   #4
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
My 2015 2LT doesn't use any oil with 60k on it. Problems so far is key getting stuck in the ignition, that's about it. I have read about people having trouble with the blend door for the HVAC breaking which is a expensive repair 1200-2200 dollars.

The most annoying feature on the car is the auto grade braking feature. If you live where there are a lot of big hills coming down grades if you are on the brake too long the computer takes over and down shifts the transmission(if its automatic) uses the engine to brake the cars speed down. I HATE THIS FEATURE because after its activated it doesn't let go right away even after coming to a stop mine has held it in the lower gears. I have found a way to turn it off but its a pain if you need to do it all the time. For some strange reason GM chose not to include a switch to turn this off like in the pickup trucks where you can turn it off. To turn it off in our cars you must put it in manual shift mode then back into auto mode after the incline.

My car runs very well and gets 25mpg local driving, hard to beat that with a car that looks handles and runs this good on regular fuel. It is a blast to drive and is quick as anything else on the road.

Last edited by 152LTRockin; 05-20-2019 at 01:12 PM.
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
My 2015 2LT doesn't use any oil with 60k on it.
how many miles have you put on it?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

6k, I have the service records on the car 1owner. The only repair was heater blower motor and I repaired the key problem myself.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
Mikewired

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2Lt RS
Ok thanks everyone, the car is for my son so v6 no v8. Haha but I told him if the keys are gone take my truck. Last fun car we had was an 85 vette before kids.
Mikewired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewired View Post
Ok thanks everyone, the car is for my son so v6 no v8. Haha but I told him if the keys are gone take my truck. Last fun car we had was an 85 vette before kids.
Its plenty for a teenager for sure. Keep an eye on the oil level.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewired View Post
good idea to stick with the v6 for the kiddo... that's why i bought a 2LT as well. Ours is a convertible and the wife and I take that out way more than my modded SS... very fun car. I will caution you though that you probably won't get the gas mileage that 152LT gets though. I am only getting about 19-20 with mixed driving. To me that's like an economy car though compared to Yukon that gets 14 and my SS that gets 12. As far as oil consumption goes, the V6 for me consumes a little less than the V8s I've had at just under half a quart with almost 100k miles. It is the LLT though but I imagine the LFX is the same. All of my LS-based GM v8s have consumed oil between half a quart and 1 quart between 3K mile changes all with mobile 1 5w30.

2001 5.7 WS6 TA brand new consumed a full quart
2003 5.3 tahoe brand new consumed half a quart
2005 5.3 silverado brand new consummed half a quart
2004 5.3 suburban 150k miles consumed half a quart
2008 5.3 yukon 215k miles consumes almost a full quart (still have it)
2011 5.3 silverado 165k miles consumed more than half a quart
2005 5.3 swapped 65 c-10 over 200k miles consumed more than half a quart
2010 6.2 Camaro SS 130k miles consumes more than half a quart (current DD)

I looked at mustangs for my son's first car too and found that they were all in pretty bad shape as well. Everything I looked at was in the 80k-100k mile range and it seemed like the camaros held up much better (maybe that was my GM bias subconsciously affecting my decision though)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
my 2015 2LT is a great car,no major repairs at 44,000 miles.a lot of fun to drive.you only need the V8 if you are going to race it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
good idea to stick with the v6 for the kiddo... that's why i bought a 2LT as well. Ours is a convertible and the wife and I take that out way more than my modded SS... very fun car. I will caution you though that you probably won't get the gas mileage that 152LT gets though. I am only getting about 19-20 with mixed driving.
Actually my fuel mileage has gone up since I started using premium fuel. Because of the tune in the car it was pulling timing in the warmer weather. Now I'm getting 27 local and on the highway, it doesn't really change but I do live in the country so local driving isn't stop and go city. Its more 45-50 lots of small hills, how this thing squeezes 25-27 is crazy good. Very good tune who ever tuned it, I'm trying to find someone to pull the tune just to find out whos it is if that's possible. Maybe retune it for regular, I'm cheap when it comes to gas.

All my LS1 cars used ALOT of oil, 1 qt every 300-1000 miles depending how long the oil was in it. !st 2500 miles wasn't bad but after that not good.

I noticed when we changed oil in this v6 Camaro there was a strong fuel smell but it didn't look diluted.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
The most annoying feature on the car is the auto grade braking feature. If you live where there are a lot of big hills coming down grades if you are on the brake too long the computer takes over and down shifts the transmission(if its automatic) uses the engine to brake the cars speed down. I HATE THIS FEATURE because after its activated it doesn't let go right away even after coming to a stop mine has held it in the lower gears. I have found a way to turn it off but its a pain if you need to do it all the time. For some strange reason GM chose not to include a switch to turn this off like in the pickup trucks where you can turn it off. To turn it off in our cars you must put it in manual shift mode then back into auto mode after the incline.
You must have an extra special 2LT, because it's not a built in feature and not even listed in the manual.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #13
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You must have an extra special 2LT, because it's not a built in feature and not even listed in the manual.
I haven’t noticed mine doing that either, although both my Honda and Toyota do have that feature and it takes a little getting used to. Maybe it’s part of a tune?
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #14
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Well I don't know what to tell you but the neighbor has a 17 and it does the same thing. You have to be on a steep incline and on the brake above 40mph. From the little info I could find there is a level indicator someplace in the transmission. The trucks have it too but they have a switch to turn it off. Its called grade braking, I can't find too much about it but if you have a auto trans you have it. Its too reduce the temp of the front brake rotors going down long steep grades. Trust me like everything else I can't help I notice things other people don't. It was the 1st thing I noticed about the car because we live at the bottom of a long steep grade in a valley. Also noticed this car goes up that grade better than ANY of the LS1 cars we owned. sorry if that makes you boil but its true, same with the fuel mileage, I keep good records. Its been 24-25 every time over the past 6k miles and since I started putting premium in its gone up to 27.