Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #29
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
If you want more power with warranty the ZL1 is the obvious choice. I like the 1LE with a cam better.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #30
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRyVer View Post
The weight and additional fuel consumption are the 2 biggest drawbacks to the ZL1. I have yet to drive a ZL1, but I've driven a Z06 with the LT4, and I'll have the opportunity to drive a modern CTS-V soon. To your point, I didn't mess with the settings since it wasn't my car, I was on a test drive. I did switch back and forth from normal, sport, and track. The suspension and steering wheel difference between the modes was extremely noticeable. I did break a bit of traction while making a sharp turn, on throttle, but the nannies kept it pretty composed (the tires were definitely cold). The Cayman is a light precision scalpel, and I'm not expecting that out of the Camaro. The 335i M-sport is a bruiser in the way it puts the power down. I was hoping for something in between these two cars. I wanted something with brute force when needed, but it also has to handle well. Everyone is saying ZL1 here, and I wasn't anticipating that. I figured some might say to go 2SS 1LE and learn to push the limits of the chassis and powerband. I'm even starting to believe if I feel like the SS is slightly underpowered for my needs, I might spend just as much in fuel consumption as a ZL1, just to keep it in the fun-zone. I do tend to drive spiritedly in both cars. I run Valentine One and Waze on both cars, 100% of the time.
The ZL1 is a very fuel efficient car if you keep your foot out of it. I drove mine from the southside of Indianapolis to Detroit for the Woodward Dream cruise and averaged almost 24 MPG on a 300+ mile trip. Still had about an 1/8th of a tank too. That was at roughly an average speed of about 80 mph.

It's all a matter of how you drive it, and honestly, the weight of this car is something I've never even remotely cared about. It never feels heavy, but for someone used to driving Porsches, it might.

As a previous SS owner prior to my ZL1, these cars are night and day difference. There is zero reason to buy an SS unless you really want something slower. You're essentially buying a Z06 Corvette in a Camaro.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #31
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Wifey just gave me a "loose" thumbs up on the ZL1 vs the SS 1LE! I can't speak for all of us, but the wife's opinion does matter. She thinks the ZL1 looks "too aggressive," but she likes the idea of me buying the one (even if it's about $10k more) that will cost me less time and money in aftermarket modifications =)
I'm still not jumping on anything as I think the timing is bad, but that will change in a few months...

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #32
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You may decide after you buy one and drive it around that no mods will be needed! They are stout from the factory and any money put into mods you probably won’t recover when you get rid of it. Just saying! But each person is different so I understand that. I’m planning on keeping mine stock and just spend money on tires, gas and maintenance items. It’s music to my ears to hear the supercharger whine accelerating between gear changing and the front end to me is wicked looking especially if you see one in your rear view mirror.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #33
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
You may decide after you buy one and drive it around that no mods will be needed! They are stout from the factory and any money put into mods you probably won’t recover when you get rid of it. Just saying! But each person is different so I understand that. I’m planning on keeping mine stock and just spend money on tires, gas and maintenance items. It’s music to my ears to hear the supercharger whine accelerating between gear changing and the front end to me is wicked looking especially if you see one in your rear view mirror.
Hey There Greg! The choice for me is between a 2SS 1LE or a ZL1. To me, the SS would require a few power mods to achieve the performance level that I would personally like and/or be accustomed. The ZL1, I would agree to your point (to each their own), I don't believe I would feel the need for modifications (aside from minor esthetics that are of course personal preference). I am looking forward to driving one!
I will have a few questions that I'd like to ask here since you're all so familiar with these cars:
Does the SS 1LE have the exact same suspension setup of the ZL1? I believe they are the same (at least from reading), but I would assume minor changes to the spring rates on the ZL1 would be altered to compensate for the additional weight up front..? Is there such thing? I ask because some of the Euro competition does alter minor changes in suspension and braking for the same cars with more power.

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Zl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
The ZL1 is a very fuel efficient car if you keep your foot out of it. I drove mine from the southside of Indianapolis to Detroit for the Woodward Dream cruise and averaged almost 24 MPG on a 300+ mile trip. Still had about an 1/8th of a tank too. That was at roughly an average speed of about 80 mph.

It's all a matter of how you drive it, and honestly, the weight of this car is something I've never even remotely cared about. It never feels heavy, but for someone used to driving Porsches, it might.

As a previous SS owner prior to my ZL1, these cars are night and day difference. There is zero reason to buy an SS unless you really want something slower. You're essentially buying a Z06 Corvette in a Camaro.
I would say if you absolutely need more power you're right. If you value weight and balance as much as power it's not as easy of a choice between an SS 1le vs a ZL1. I have a Grandsport and an SS 1le, I prefer the lighter naturally aspirated cars. The lt1 could always use more power like anything else but it's enough to explore the limits of more often, especially on the street.

Randy Pobst himself was quoted saying the ss 1le was the sweetest handling of the 6th gens.

Also if op is going manual, the manual SS's are easier to launch in my experience, though once you're rolling that doesn't matter and manual ZL1 is just as easy to drive but a rocket ship next to the ss 1le.

Obviously budget matters here, but personal preferences do as well. Not everyone is chasing power but sounds like the op already knows the ss 1le won't have enough power for his liking so ZL1 is probably the way to go.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #35
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I can't floor it in 2nd much of the time. I can, but the car is cutting out power to maintain traction, with the nannies off, it'll break. The acceleration where there'll be a big difference with the ZL1 will be far into the illegal zone, so there's just no big reason for me to get it. Friend just got a Z06 and man, I just can't see how he can put down any of that power anywhere near here.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #36
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
ZL1 power is nice but I felt like the SS 1LE had plenty. I liked the SS 1LE suspension for daily usage also and fuel economy was great for what it is.

But I’d drive both and buy whichever you like the most.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #37
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I can't floor it in 2nd much of the time. I can, but the car is cutting out power to maintain traction, with the nannies off, it'll break. The acceleration where there'll be a big difference with the ZL1 will be far into the illegal zone, so there's just no big reason for me to get it. Friend just got a Z06 and man, I just can't see how he can put down any of that power anywhere near here.
My car just likes to leave two lines of rubber everywhere. Zl1 power is useless for normal street driving imo.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #38
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I would say if you absolutely need more power you're right. If you value weight and balance as much as power it's not as easy of a choice between an SS 1le vs a ZL1. I have a Grandsport and an SS 1le, I prefer the lighter naturally aspirated cars. The lt1 could always use more power like anything else but it's enough to explore the limits of more often, especially on the street.
I would also agree. He's used to driving lighter cars with more power than the SS, so it may feel slower to him. That being said, the 1LE is an amazing machine for what it is....and it's certainly a worthwhile car. I simply based my statements on the fact he wont be happy with a slower car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Also if op is going manual, the manual SS's are easier to launch in my experience, though once you're rolling that doesn't matter and manual ZL1 is just as easy to drive but a rocket ship next to the ss 1le.
Good tip btw.... the bog on the 6 speed manual does create some issues...with the ZL1....
Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #39
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
The ZL1 is a very fuel efficient car if you keep your foot out of it.
Which defeats the entire reason for buying a ZL1. I had a '15 Mustang GT that came with a Whipple 2.0 that made about 633hp at the rear wheels. Even with sticky summer tires, that thing couldn't launch at all. It was all over the road. Only higher speed roll-ons could the power really be controlled. My n/a SS is so much more manageable on the street. Boost is nice to have but it was more of a liability than an asset for me especially when trying to take off fast from a stoplight.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #40
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Bang for the buck it's hard to beat a SS with a few bolt-ons and E85 which will put the SS as quick if not quicker in a straight line then a stock ZL1. However, Budget not a concern, and wanting to go full Zoot, the ZL1 is hard to beat hands down.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #41
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Which defeats the entire reason for buying a ZL1. I had a '15 Mustang GT that came with a Whipple 2.0 that made about 633hp at the rear wheels. Even with sticky summer tires, that thing couldn't launch at all. It was all over the road. Only higher speed roll-ons could the power really be controlled. My n/a SS is so much more manageable on the street. Boost is nice to have but it was more of a liability than an asset for me especially when trying to take off fast from a stoplight.
My car is in that sweet middle ground at 560 rwhp and 540 rwtq, roughly at the factory auto ZL1 power level, maybe a hair above in hp---one can't just blindly floor it from a standstill, but a very small rollout is all you need (I did upgrade the tires as well, though). It feels very different from its original NA state, way more powerful and definitely more fun, with no noticeable degradation in handling due to the extra weight of the S/C. Next (slowly coming) mod is the driver mod, the gap between the car's capabilities and mine is now wider than ever.

All this is just to say that a moderate amount of boost is very good even on the street.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #42
samjlee27

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro 1SS M6
For that price get a GT350, more fun car and better looking. But between those two I’d go with the 2SS 1LE
samjlee27 is offline   Reply With Quote