Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-19-2019, 03:13 AM   #1
TEST DRyVer

Drives: 17 ZL1 6mt with PDR
Considering 2SS 1LE vs ZL1 - pros and cons

It's not an easy decision (first world problem, I know...). First off, I'm fairly new to domestic cars. I've owned over a couple dozen performance cars in my life (I'm 42 and live in AZ), and the only domestics I've owned in the past were: 2005 CTS-V, 2003 SRT-4, 2005 GT Mustang. Recently, the drop in prices on Corvettes got me thinking (and shopping online). I've ruled out the Vette because I would like something more comfortable. This will be my daily, and I will likely have it for 1 year, put 20k miles on it, and sell or trade it.
That being said, buying low and having the highest resale value at the end of one year is one of my main goals. I will of course lose some money, as I do with all my cars, but I'm willing to lose $4-8k, not $15+k in a year. I was pretty set on an 2SS 1LE, but I just recently drove one. It was a balanced car, but I know I would end up modifying for additional power if I bought an SS. From what I've been reading, it seems that Chevy dealerships are not very tolerant of mods (headers, exhaust, cats, etc...)
On the flip side, if I picked up a 17 or 18 ZL1 6mt, I don't think I would be dumping money for mods. I might swap out the wheels, spoiler, and add some strategically placed wrap to change the esthetics a bit, but I don't see the need for additional power on a ZL1. To me, the 2SS 1LE looks perfect out of the box! I wouldn't change anything aesthetically, but I would feel the need for additional power.
I'm in no rush, actually I would prefer to wait till aggressive pricing drops in November. It will soften the market for both cars.
Numbers: I could pick up a low mile 18 or 19 2SS 1LE for $35-41k by November. Possibly even new, if pricing gets aggressive enough. The ZL1 would have to be used, likely between $48-51k in November for a 17 or 18. So? Will the additional price for the ZL1 be worth it for resale value after 1 year and 20k miles of ownership? Or, are there dealerships that are more mod-friendly that I could benefit from on a 2SS 1LE? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
I'll include some pics of my current cars to make this less boring
Attached Images

Esthetics: Nardo Grey wrap with original black accents throughout, complete Xpel ceramic coat, Diode Dynamics markers, Smoked GM tail & 3rd brake light, C7 Carbon 1LE style Spoiler in blk, ACS splash guards, blk'd out emblems. Variant Krypton wheels in Gloss black.

Performance: AWE Touring catback exhaust with resonator, Rotofab dry intake, TM throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with Green Cats, Advanced Fuel Dynamics Flex Fuel kit with e50 blend and dyno tuned.

Current Family car (for the wifey): 2021 Audi SQ5
TEST DRyVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i would look for the lightly used ZL-1.someone else has taken that first drive off the lot depreciation hit and since it has enough power to satisfy you youll save on mods too.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Wait until this fall and buy a used 19' ZL1. The first year hit on depreciation will have been born by the original owner and you will save big $$. The ZL1 is a great car and I plan on keeping mine, I like it that much.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
There are no cons with the ZL1. If it's affordable, it's the one to buy.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Used ZL1 all the way.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
The only con I see is the hard suspension on the ZL1. But as you want to sell it after one year go for it.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Hard suspension? I think you are confusing the ZL1 1LE with the std ZL1.

The standard ZL1 has magnetic ride control and is not hard or harsh at all...
Old 05-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #8
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
ZL1, no question. It's a truly fantastic car.

The thing to watch out for is the price drops after the new year. We bought our '18 in November '18, used with 2700 miles, and got a pretty good deal.

Early this year, GM put a bunch of discounts on the '18s, and we took a big depreciation hit as new, leftover 18's were selling for around what we paid.

Camaros depreciate pretty hard, even ZL1s. I would recommend buying a nice, low mile '18 now, as it's already had that hit. If you buy a '19 in the fall, you could experience the same thing we did, with discounts hitting in early 2020. But if you're always waiting for the best deal... well, your always waiting... why not be driving?
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
ZL1, no question. It's a truly fantastic car.

The thing to watch out for is the price drops after the new year. We bought our '18 in November '18, used with 2700 miles, and got a pretty good deal.

Early this year, GM put a bunch of discounts on the '18s, and we took a big depreciation hit as new, leftover 18's were selling for around what we paid.

Camaros depreciate pretty hard, even ZL1s. I would recommend buying a nice, low mile '18 now, as it's already had that hit. If you buy a '19 in the fall, you could experience the same thing we did, with discounts hitting in early 2020. But if you're always waiting for the best deal... well, your always waiting... why not be driving?

This! If you test drive the ZL1, you will see a huge difference, with only a moderate price difference.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Get a ZL1 and you will enjoy it more! To me the ZL1 is perfect and no mods are needed but every person is different and I respect that. Since you are not planning to keep it for a few years I wouldn’t do anything to it except maintenance and gas. Think you will find out that it’s an excellent performance Camaro just like it is. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
If you buy new and put 20k on in the first year, you will lose $10k minimum. Buy used.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Yes by all means buy used if you find one that you really like!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #13
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Mostly I'd say go for a used Zl1, but I also have a very difficult time telling anyone to buy a ZL1 as a daily driver. It won't be a good daily driver, and that's the reason you see so many used with low miles. Also coming from a tuned cayman any camaro you get is going to feel ponderous and heavy. And the ZL1 will be the worst for that, since it is the heaviest 6th gen camaro. Is this what you really want? I mean you said you drove an SS 1LE and you thought it wasn't enough power. To which I say...really? Because when I had my SS 1LE, at least on the street, I was literally scared by the amount of power available, especially with the nannies off. And on the track I was never wanting for power. Did you try driving the car with the performance traction modes? If not then I can guarantee you, you didn't feel the full power of that car. I also strongly suspect that coming from your Cayman, you really felt the weight of the SS 1LE. Speaking of your Cayman. It's one sexy looking car. How long have you had it? If I had that sitting in my driveway, I definitely wouldn't be day-dreaming

Last edited by protovack; 05-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #14
LT4Greg

The ride is not stiff in my ZL1! It handles real good in all modes but I wouldn’t describe the ride as being stiff. Yes a person has to know what they are getting into when buying one and they aren’t for everyone. The op doesn’t want an SS or SS 1LE because he would have to spend money to get it to the performance level of the ZL1. He said that in his post. Protovack, do you own a ZL1 or have ever driven or even ridden in one? The op wants a ZL1 plain and simple!