Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
burnningice

Drives: 2016 SS Mosaic Black
Dear GM, goodbye forever

To whom it may concern.
I have bleed Chevy for 20 years. No longer shall I follow you.
I have a 2016 Camaro 1SS. My car has less than 13k miles on it and has never seen a day on the track or been abused. This weekend I started my car and the low oil pressure light came on. I towed it to the dealer and they informed me that the oil pump had failed. I'm still under the 3year 36k mile warranty.
I'm then told that because I added an aftermarket oil cooler my warranty is void. Please tell me how an oil cooler that can destroy an oil pump. If anything, my oil cooler stopped the metal parts from the pump from being pushed through the rest of the engine. My part saved you an entire engine.
I guess that it's cheaper to loose a life long Chevy customer than to pay for a warranty claim for your faulty part.

I'm now out approximately $3000 to fix a defective part. I had planned on buying a ZL1 1LE next year but not now. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely your,
Heart broken former Chevy customer

PS. I will attach a picture of the scrap metal parts from your oil pump that were caught in my aftermarket oil cooler that saved your engine.
Attached Images

burnningice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #2
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
dont they have to prove the aftermarket part is directly responsible for the failure?

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
burnningice

That is what I thought but apparently they just told the dealership to reject my claim. Taking GM to court would probably cost more than the price of the repair.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
You have to prove aftermarket part did NOT cause the failure.

got expert witness you can tap ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
burnningice

I'm trying to have a positive attitude but I'm pretty much out of hope. I have a lot of aftermarket parts on my car. I dint buy cheap stuff either. I probably have about $13k in aftermarket parts
Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #6
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
ahh, in that case, look at it like an upgrade, drop in a new motor and make that thing the baddest thing on the road

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
burnningice

I thought about that. Build it to 1k hp. But that's a lot of money too. I would be representing a brand that doesnt support the customers.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnningice View Post
I thought about that. Build it to 1k hp. But that's a lot of money too. I would be representing a brand that doesnt support the customers.
Just build the short block with forged goodies and call it a day. Probably $5K, and add a blower, etc down the road.

Regarding your last sentence, and to be as polite as I can: get over it. Pretty much every brand of car will have a group of customers who hate them for one reason or another. I really don’t know any manufacturer that will continue to warranty a car with $13K worth of mods to it. If you want a fast car, you have to forget the warranty and let the chips fall where they may.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My oil pump failed also when doing some data logging for Pray while I was just bolt ons. It made me a little sour but after some phone calls and 11k later she's fully forged with new heads and a cam aswell just debating what blower I want to try out now. Shit happens and it's just part of the risk when you modify the car. Good luck op on whatever you decide to do though.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:37 AM   #10
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Ouch. That is tough luck!

Could this be caused by the oil pickup tube retention bolt coming loose?
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447820
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Dear burnningice.

Your beef is with the dealer, not GM. GM didnt climb off their ivory tower to come down and smite your warranty. The dealer did. Not GM. Your warranty is not VOID. Thats not legal anymore to do. You need to take it somewhere else where their dont have their heads wedged in their asses, and get a second opinion. There is no need for this over dramatic dear john letter addressed to GM.

Furthermore, you are really going to hate life if you switch over to dodge or ford. If you think warranty claims are any better for modded cars with those two over chevy, man you got a few more letters to write. LOL
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
From the pics it looks like the pump just let go. I don't think the pickup tube was at fault but you never know. His being a 16 model I would definitely check into it.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #13
burnningice

Sense text cannot convey emotion, I'll explain how I feel. I'm not raving mad. I'm just very disappointed that something like this would happen. The vast majority of the mods to my car are cosmetic and nothing to do with performance. I added the oil cooler to help with engine longevity.
One of my biggest gripes is that after I got back from SEMA, my car started making noise. I took it to the dealer 2 or 3 times. They said the sound was my oil cooler lines rubbing against the engine (they werent) I chalked it up to the cold weather but always kept an eye in it. I'm now convinced that the sound was the oil pump failing and you could hear it through the cooler lines. If they had diagnosed it correctly, I would have removed the cooler prior to this happening. Then apparently this would have been covered. Once the repair is complete, and the oil cooler is back on, if the car no longer makes the noise that I brought it to them multiple times before I'm going to loose my shit. I have no problem paying for services rendered but I will be paying for something that was misdiagnosed. Shop rate is $145/hr here.
This is the only car that I've had that had a warranty. Usually I buy cars just out of warranty because that's all that I could have afforded in the past. From my experience, it is such a pain to have anything done under warranty from any dealership. I think that I'll go back to buying older cars without a warranty and save the money. I'm sorry I'm rambling. Woe is me lol

I called GM and filed a claim for them to look into it.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #14
burnningice

I had thought about doing and building a crazy monster. But this could not have happened at a worse fine to me. I'm moving to the other side of the country in 4 days. That's what makes this even worse.