Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 12-13-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Anyone else a part of FSAE?

Just curious if anybody was. For anyone who doesn't know, it is a collegiate formula series. My school is lucky enough to field a team. Each year 120 teams compete at Michigan International Speedway in a bunch of different dynamic and static events. Definitely solidified my choice with the Camaro. The big 3 are the main sponsors of the event.
Attached Images

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
HartfordRacingCaptain

Hmm probably should have posted this in off-topic...

Old 12-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I really wish I would have got into it before I graduated. I took almost 8 years for my ME degree. I was busy there during the beginning and you need to get into it from the beginning. I know I missed out on a lot, and I know how much getting into clubs and especially being the captains and leaders helps with getting a internship, which means a good job.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I really wish I would have got into it before I graduated. I took almost 8 years for my ME degree. I was busy there during the beginning and you need to get into it from the beginning. I know I missed out on a lot, and I know how much getting into clubs and especially being the captains and leaders helps with getting a internship, which means a good job.
There's nothing wrong with focusing on school. What school did you go to if you dont mind me asking?

Old 12-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
There's nothing wrong with focusing on school. What school did you go to if you dont mind me asking?
I went to Florida state, they are trying to create their own engineering school, but for now the engineering school is tied to FAMU. It definitely dosent carry the same prestige as University of Florida or Georgia tech, but I think the education is no different, a BSME is so rushed anyway you learn enough and fast enough to forget it right when you get out haha
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I went to Florida state, they are trying to create their own engineering school, but for now the engineering school is tied to FAMU. It definitely dosent carry the same prestige as University of Florida or Georgia tech, but I think the education is no different, a BSME is so rushed anyway you learn enough and fast enough to forget it right when you get out haha
Yeah I kinda agree. Especially when you get into a position that doesnt use the learned knowledge much like mine.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra

Like I stated on my intro post, I was part of the Texas A&M FSAE Team in 2000. We won the competition out of 110 teams around the world. I was on the engine team. I was also responsibile for designing and constructing the electrical system. I built the harness like an OEM modular harness with weatherpack connectors that I salvaged from Hondas, since they were rebuildable. This kept my bonehead teammates from cutting wires to work on something. It also contributed to our win, since it rained during the endurance event and teams without sealed systems didn't finish.

We won all of the performance events except the drag race.

Car was powered by a naturally aspirated 600 CC Yamaha YZF engine that was converted to fuel injection using a Motec ECU and custom inlet plenum. Peak HP was about 90-95 with the restrictor in place. Car weighed ~500 lbs.

http://www.texasaggieracing.com/track-record/

There is a FSAE group on Linkedin, although it is not very active. A bunch of international students ask questions. I would highly suggest that you find a local college that is participating and see if you can volunteer for the advisory commitee.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/42098

Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Just to add, it sucks that I don't have more photos or videos. It's hard to believe, but no one had a cell phone back then and smart phones didn't exist.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post

Like I stated on my intro post, I was part of the Texas A&M FSAE Team in 2000. We won the competition out of 110 teams around the world. I was on the engine team. I was also responsibile for designing and constructing the electrical system. I built the harness like an OEM modular harness with weatherpack connectors that I salvaged from Hondas, since they were rebuildable. This kept my bonehead teammates from cutting wires to work on something. It also contributed to our win, since it rained during the endurance event and teams without sealed systems didn't finish.

We won all of the performance events except the drag race.

Car was powered by a naturally aspirated 600 CC Yamaha YZF engine that was converted to fuel injection using a Motec ECU and custom inlet plenum. Peak HP was about 90-95 with the restrictor in place. Car weighed ~500 lbs.

Nice! By "drag race" do you mean acceleration, or did they actually have neck and neck drag races in 2000? That would be so cool.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Acceleration.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:04 AM   #11
Grahamexl

Drives: Camaro z28, Lexus SC 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattracer
Any news about Formula SAE Volunteer program? I'm a college graduate (with a degree in Race Car Aerodynamics). I worked on the design project of a competition-winning racecar for Formula SAE and I want to get hands-on experience volunteering at Formula SAE. Where can I find the updates?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
You can download the Formula SAE App with maps, schedules, news and other helpful stuff to get the latest updates.
Here's the list of 2020 Formula SAE Virtual Event Updates:

https://www.fsaeonline.com/Page.aspx...7-8b9415a9f128
Grahamexl is offline   Reply With Quote