Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Have a 2016 and have no problems. I avoid stepping on it.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #16
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I have them too, no lifting but I have ding on one and some scuffs. Wish I had put some vinyl protection on them.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #17
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
3 months and left side of the plate lifted on both sides. Not the lettering but the actual plate itself. Tacked the passenger side down with 2 way tape. Then the driver side lifted even worse. I baby her exterior and interior. White gloves and take your shoes off kind babying....I'm actually at the dealer today. Opinions are like a$$holes but based on my experience I would not recommend them. Regardless of using a PPF like Xpel on them.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #18
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
24 months no issues
Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #19
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I have some small scuffs on mine, but no lifting issues since I bought the car in March 2016.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #20
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
24 months no issues
+1
Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #21
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
mine were replaced under warranty. 2 years ago. no problems sence.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #22
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
Came on my brand new 2016, so over 3 years strong and still looks new. Just don't go using them as steps or something stupid. I wipe them down all the time with a microfiber clothe after a wash and it never catches on anything.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #23
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
I have a 2017 ss. When I wash it I use a master blaster to dry it. It puts a lot of air force on it. It has not come off. I also wiped it many times. I never hit it with my foot when getting out of the car either.
I want to pick one up but not sure which model to get. Which one do you guys have?
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #24
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I have a question for those of you who have installed the clear Xpel protective film over these illuminated door sills. Can you just install it dry, without using the soapy water solution? Reason I ask is because I'm a little worried that not all the bubbles will disappear even after using the squeegy. Time and time again, I've tried vinyl overlays on lights and painted areas, and there's always bubbles that I can't get out and never seem to disappear. Sometimes I get it close, but never near perfect. I know I suck at this stuff but oh well lol. I just bought the illuminated Camaro sills today and noticed the letters are not perfectly flush with the sill plate. It's really close but there is a very slight ridge around the letters. That makes me worry that it will be even harder to get ALL that soapy water solution and bubbles out of there
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #25
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
I have a question for those of you who have installed the clear Xpel protective film over these illuminated door sills. Can you just install it dry, without using the soapy water solution? Reason I ask is because I'm a little worried that not all the bubbles will disappear even after using the squeegy. Time and time again, I've tried vinyl overlays on lights and painted areas, and there's always bubbles that I can't get out and never seem to disappear. Sometimes I get it close, but never near perfect. I know I suck at this stuff but oh well lol. I just bought the illuminated Camaro sills today and noticed the letters are not perfectly flush with the sill plate. It's really close but there is a very slight ridge around the letters. That makes me worry that it will be even harder to get ALL that soapy water solution and bubbles out of there
Have you tried using a blow dryer on hot setting when squeegeeing? That helps a lot. You can always use a small needle on those bubbles too without hurting the film. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #26
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
Have you tried using a blow dryer on hot setting when squeegeeing? That helps a lot. You can always use a small needle on those bubbles too without hurting the film. Just a suggestion.
Thanks! Yes I've done both of those things on different occasions, and it definitely helped, but I always still seem to end up with tiny bubbles that I can't get rid of. Even weeks later tiny bubbles remain, making it hard to achieve that completely smooth clear look.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #27
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I can't say I've had a problem. I've done headlights, bumper, sills, phone screen, computer screen..There's really only 3 things to remember.
-The surface must be 100% free of any solid particulate matter
-use a crap ton of soap/water and squeegee out as much as you can, 90% is usually fine
-leave it alone for hours in warm conditions/sun/heat gun

I've wrapped simple things with 3M vinyl wrap like laptops, mugs, emblems and had no issues. I'm not a pro as I only tinker with this stuff.

As another user posted, pins can be helpful. I'm wondering if the surface your applying it to has any slight porous properties or contaminates? I applied film once to a device and hours/day later I noticed a haze, bubbles and a ring around imperfections. Turns out there was hairspray on the device and the soap had caused it to lift but was then trapped under the film.

I took off the film and suddenly got a whiff of herbal essence hairspray. It was giggle worthy. I will claim responsibility for half-assing the job and not fully inspecting the surface. However I don't use HE. Bed head all the way!
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
My ZL1 sat in a dealership lobby for 7 months before I bought it, I have had it 13 months now. So, my car is almost 2 years old now and the lettering still looks great.

and it is kind of cool to open the door at night and see it light up.

Would I have ordered this as an option? Probably not, but my car came that way and they have held up fine so far...