Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

AWE Tuning

Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Unless, of course, the NFL said nobody is allowed to show replays.
Yes I suppose they could try do that but I`m pretty sure since the broadcasters have a contract and paid the NFL a very large amount of money to televise those games they would probably tell the NFL to go pound sand and we`ll do whatever we dam well want to do and then you start getting into that whole sticky censorship thing. Really bad PR.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Yes I suppose they could try do that but I`m pretty sure since the broadcasters have a contract and paid the NFL a very large amount of money to televise those games they would probably tell the NFL to go pound sand and we`ll do whatever we dam well want to do and then you start getting into that whole sticky censorship thing. Really bad PR.
Censorship is not an issue since it's the NFL's product and they can control it however they want to.

And bad PR doesn't seem to concern them much either. From ignoring basic scientific principles (PV=nRT - Deflategate) to incompetent officials directly determining the outcome of a championship game, they pretty much don't seem to care how stupid they look.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #17
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
One call or no call does not change the outcome of a 60 minute game.

Butterfly effect.
Sunday's non-call had an extremely high probability of changing the outcome.

If it had happened in the first two minutes, no. But the later in the game something happens the less variables there are left to be affected by the bad call and therefore the more the bad call directly affects the outcome. Taken to the extreme, an incorrect call on a game winning field goal attempt with no time remaining 100% changes the outcome.

Happening when it did, the change probability of Sunday's non-call basically boils down to the odds of the Saints kicker making a chip shot field goal.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Sunday's non-call had an extremely high probability of changing the outcome.

If it had happened in the first two minutes, no. But the later in the game something happens the less variables there are left to be affected by the bad call and therefore the more the bad call directly affects the outcome. Taken to the extreme, an incorrect call on a game winning field goal attempt with no time remaining 100% changes the outcome.

Happening when it did, the change probability of Sunday's non-call basically boils down to the odds of the Saints kicker making a chip shot field goal.
I get what you are saying...but my counter to that would be....

Stop blaming other people for YOUR outcome.Chances are in that same game there would have been several opportunities when YOU could have done YOUR job better to affect the outcome of the game.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #19
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:

Butterfly effect.
yes it can. As any 15 yard penalty or pass interference call could easy put a team in position to score a touchdown or field goal at the end of a close game.

A bad call, such as a 4 and 25 yard play, gives a team a first down and potentially a chance to score to win the game. Now if the team was up by 15 points, wouldn't matter, but a team only up by 1 or 2 points.. critical.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #20
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
I get what you are saying...but my counter to that would be....

Stop blaming other people for YOUR outcome.Chances are in that same game there would have been several opportunities when YOU could have done YOUR job better to affect the outcome of the game.
This is classic "blaming the victim"... which is an interesting phenomenon, but off topic so we won't go into it now.

What more were the Saints supposed to do?

They were playing a team every bit their equal - it's not like they were letting the Arizona Cardinals hang around in a game they (the Saints) should dominate - and had put themselves into a position to win. So they actually had done their jobs.

The Rams defender admitted that he purposely interfered on the play to prevent a touchdown. So whether or not it was a penalty isn't even a question; it was.

Without interference the Saints presumably score a touchdown. Win probability high.

Had the interference been properly called the Saints bleed the clock and kick a short field goal. Win probability extremely high.

So it seems to me everybody did do their jobs... except the referees.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Iron Lung Jimmy

Quote:

Butterfly effect.

Now that I have bothered to look up what the Butterfly Effect even is - according to the Butterfly Effect even the most seemingly inconsequential event during a game could change the outcome. So the Butterfly Effect actually contradicts the point you are trying to make.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #22

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's turning into a self-perpetuating situation that will only call for more and more cameras, more and more reviews, eventually becoming supposedly the only "fair" way to referee a football game....One or more cameras will need to be on every player for every play, offense and defense, with a review after each play to see if any calls were missed....offsides, unsportsmanlike conduct, an offensive twitch that is technically illegal procedure, etc....The possibilities are enormous, but isn't it the fair thing to do?...Why should only "big" plays be reviewed?...Every play for every team, offense and defense will need to be critiqued for a missed call and a possible penalty. After all, no team should get an advantage that helps them win a game....

The cat is out of the bag, and judgement calls will become meaningless....Only high-tech, absolute thorough video of all possible infractions and non-calls after each and every play will rule the day.

It's bad now and will only get worse. TV broadcasters will demand it...No game without their input and technology can possibly be fair. Sports and sportsmanship will die an inevitable death after grinding to a hi-tech halt in the name of fairness, and "getting it right"....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #23
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
This is classic "blaming the victim"... which is an interesting phenomenon, but off topic so we won't go into it now.

What more were the Saints supposed to do?

They were playing a team every bit their equal - it's not like they were letting the Arizona Cardinals hang around in a game they (the Saints) should dominate - and had put themselves into a position to win. So they actually had done their jobs.

The Rams defender admitted that he purposely interfered on the play to prevent a touchdown. So whether or not it was a penalty isn't even a question; it was.

Without interference the Saints presumably score a touchdown. Win probability high.

Had the interference been properly called the Saints bleed the clock and kick a short field goal. Win probability extremely high.

So it seems to me everybody did do their jobs... except the referees.
Seriously? They play football for a living and most make millions. I hardly classify them in the “victim” categories most associated with the phrase of “blaming the victim”.

There wasn’t a missed tackle by a Saint? There wasn’t a bad throw by Brees? What about Hill being in at QB on 3rd and goal?

There’s plenty of plays where Saints players or coaches could have done their job better to change the outcome of the game.

But yeah, let’s blame the refs for our loss, because god forbid we hold ourselves accountable for our fortunes....

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote