Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
GreenAppleLS3

Drives: Synergy Green SS Camaro 6 speed
Few questions

Im doing heads and cam on my la3 camaro right now. Going to be running the night fury cam. My question is whats the most id want to be pushing my rev limiter to. And also i was curious if i go with the holley high ram, would it be faster at the track. Loses some down low but gains up top. My cars gutted 3.91 gears and will be on e85. Plan is if i can rev it high enough when i go into the next gear ill be staying in the area the high ram gains at. Thus staying the area where the high ram gains over stock manifold.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
With the high ram your going to yes be lamer down low and be lighter when you have to carve up the firewall, the whole deal is the night fury cam would not be the one best for a all out race intake like a tunnel ram or high ram and with your budget you may not want to go there as the supporting mods go up in price the higher the lift ...duration etc.....there is a reason some things go better with others... and with a nightfury you would be money ahead to stay stock or FAST intake with its little gain, now if price is no matter go small bore LS7 heads from mast, or a 630 lsx engine or a .715 lift cam on a engine with dished pistons and well change your springs like eating candy.....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sag_performa...1&_ipg=&_from=

Dreams cost money, money can be tight with no daddy buying stuff...LOL I am the daddy. And in all reality you would want a couple hundred higher limiter at best as what ever rev your at you would be in diminished returns for the more common aftermarket nightfury grind long before you hit the limiter anyway.....AND well bushing the trunnions costs money, so does a c5r chain, dampener, high volume pump, etc etc.... Sure you can slap a tunnel ram what ever on it and be one of the guys I have seen then sell them right away when they discovered the WTF deal....... lost power....not a daily driver friendly mod etc..... had to cut up firewall, had to fab up new windshield wiper arm to clear.....and that's with the mid rise.......
Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
There are so many better cams than that one.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
The bigger q is why NO tune...like a badge of honor? In the past it was "manly" to be able to set your timing, jet your carb and "run the valves" on a solid lifter cam setup(which I did do-major PITA lookin back lol....now? not so much bro....you are leaving EVERYTHING on the table without a PROPER tune...not some canned handheld but a mail order or dyno tune....these cars are ALL TUNE, especially with any bolt on that affects your AFR...LT's lean out and too much....you get the picture..

Do your self a MASSIVE favor, get a tune and yes I hype dynoSteve but I AM using his tune and speak from my personal experience...and I would never even consider replacing the cam without and tuner involved...just tryin to save you some grief and $$$ down the road...

and high ram manifold??? plan on runnin a setup that has its power band 5000 to 8000 rpm or F/I....they look pretty but that's about it....peace out
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
6600 is real safe. 6700 is still OK. At around 7000 the pins rip out of stock cast LS3 pistons.

So there's your range 6600 all day long, 7000 kaboom. Pick how reliable you want it to be. The rest of your ideas are nothing I would do.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
GreenAppleLS3

Drives: Synergy Green SS Camaro 6 speed
I already purchased the cam so its set in stone. I have the c5r chain ported pump. I dont seem to see what the issue with the cam is. Im not trying to find drivability i wanted a decent sized single plane cam. Night fury was a simple choice. I just wanted info on the high ram if it would run faster times with it or the stock manifold.

My car is tuned right now running e85. With just bolt ons. Only stating what i ran without a tune in the 1/8. I dont know why you assume i wouldnt get it tuned i stated ill be running e85. Cant do that without a tune.....