Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #1
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
GM performance intake review

Since there is not a lot of information out on these cars and modifying them I thought I’d give my impression and info on the gm intake. I got it from shopchevyparts.com for $370 shipped. Cheapest I could find anywhere.

My car is a 2017 RS with the 8 speed and 12k miles. Install is super easy. Took 20 minutes and that’s me being anal about every clamp being lined up and everything clean.

Impression of car after install BEFORE the tune, maybe more top end by butt dyno. Car idles worse and just shakes and is not smooth in general. After 5 drive cycles the check engine light came on.

Had the dealer do the reflash the next day. Car was back to running like stock, smooth driving and perfect idle except with more top end and much better sound.

Before the intake bone stock on 93 octane it ran a 13.8 @ 103. Will be going back to beech bend in the next couple of weeks for a run with the intake and tune to see if there is any improvement.
Attached Images

Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
This basically mirrors my experience with the intake, a little more pull up top and some nice sound. I'm definitely interested in seeing what kind of improvements you get at the strip. Is the intake your only power mod?
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Solid choice

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
audir18

Drives: 2019 Camaro V6 1LE (on order)
Nice review, thanks...looking forward to new time on a run with the CAI.
audir18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
This basically mirrors my experience with the intake, a little more pull up top and some nice sound. I'm definitely interested in seeing what kind of improvements you get at the strip. Is the intake your only power mod?
Yes sir, car is bone stock otherwise. Same mods, tires, everything. Temps at the track since my last run will be the same also. If I run the same times or slower even I’ll be the first to say it.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
Interested to see your next run.

Trouble with these CAIs is they normally increase only the very top end output at the cost of low end torque. Kind of the opposite of what the LGX needs, but maybe since it's a GM design it won't harm the low end. Need a dyno to be sure.
AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDream View Post
Interested to see your next run.

Trouble with these CAIs is they normally increase only the very top end output at the cost of low end torque. Kind of the opposite of what the LGX needs, but maybe since it's a GM design it won't harm the low end. Need a dyno to be sure.
All intake are built differently, so a statement like that can NOT be applied to every intake.

the gm uses a uniform size tube throughout. the AFE uses a funnel ram style that decreases in size from the bell opening down to the TB connection.

the stock one is similar to the GM aftermarket one, however with the removal of the maf screen, and the NEED for a reflash of the MAF via the PCM, you don't really lose ANY low end.

with anything airflow, as long as you keep the velocity at the same as stock if not raise it...you aren't gonna lose anything down low.

the gains up top (as well as down low) are due to less turbulence, a less restrictive filter, and recalibration of the reading of air.

from having this since last year, I've seen my ET's drop, and i'm confident to say if I wasnt spinning off the line when I was getting 2.048 60 foots, I could have surpassed my previous 2.002 60 foot times dead hooking from the previous year.

that was my new problem after adding the GM intake...spinning off the line. doesn't sound like a loss in torque at all

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
All intake are built differently, so a statement like that can NOT be applied to every intake.

the gm uses a uniform size tube throughout. the AFE uses a funnel ram style that decreases in size from the bell opening down to the TB connection.

the stock one is similar to the GM aftermarket one, however with the removal of the maf screen, and the NEED for a reflash of the MAF via the PCM, you don't really lose ANY low end.

with anything airflow, as long as you keep the velocity at the same as stock if not raise it...you aren't gonna lose anything down low.

the gains up top (as well as down low) are due to less turbulence, a less restrictive filter, and recalibration of the reading of air.

from having this since last year, I've seen my ET's drop, and i'm confident to say if I wasnt spinning off the line when I was getting 2.048 60 foots, I could have surpassed my previous 2.002 60 foot times dead hooking from the previous year.

that was my new problem after adding the GM intake...spinning off the line. doesn't sound like a loss in torque at all

Have you noticed the GMPP being any more sensitive to temp than the AFE? What are your ETs now?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Have you noticed the GMPP being any more sensitive to temp than the AFE? What are your ETs now?
Theres really no heatsoak or anyrhing of that natures...as in comparison to some metal based intakes.

Best with the afe was 13.5, solid launches.

Best with the gm was 13.4 with traction loss off the line.

Addressed the cradle & diff lockout, added LSD, & toe rods this past spring/summer. Handling and consistency has increased. Will be getting to a drag track within the next few weeks.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Theres really no heatsoak or anyrhing of that natures...as in comparison to some metal based intakes.

Best with the afe was 13.5, solid launches.

Best with the gm was 13.4 with traction loss off the line.

Addressed the cradle & diff lockout, added LSD, & toe rods this past spring/summer. Handling and consistency has increased. Will be getting to a drag track within the next few weeks.
I want to take a few runs after I get my tune. 13.4 isn’t bad at all though. Stock is 13.8 right?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
I want to take a few runs after I get my tune. 13.4 isn’t bad at all though. Stock is 13.8 right?
Something like that. Chevy said 13.5, motor trend was 13.8... other mags varied from 13.7-14.0

I know it had more than 13.4 that day. I just didnt have my basics completed, so thats on me.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #12
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

I have noticed more wheelspin off the line, better throttle response, and all around better driveability. I think it’s mostly the tune and some the intake. Went to a no prep no time event and it would spin through 1st pretty easy. Felt quicker but again it’s really hard to tell. Run was against a full bolt on and cammed Silverado.

https://youtu.be/WDLn_RmswsI
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #13
JakeF_RS

I didn’t notice any more wheelspin with the intake, but it was noticeable in the midrange and at high RPMs. How’s the filled manifold treating you? I’m really thinking about picking one up sometime, seems like I’ve hit a brick wall with my 0-60 times.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
AlphaDream
Piston Slapper

Drives: Volt gen2, Colorado V6, soonCamaro
Quote:

Excellent explanation, thank you! Sounds like the GMP intake is the one to get.
AlphaDream is offline   Reply With Quote