Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #43
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
More from the bleachers

How about just swap a hot LT1 into the ZL1 1LE with more race inspired seats, rear seat delete and a gear change.
Cost effective and easy to produce.
IMO that will sale, but will not get the Z/28 badging, and dont think this is what Al will go for, but we will see, its as good as a SS 1LE.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #44
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I know its sacrilege to say it ... but I still don't want to eliminate the possibility that GM will go in a radically different direction with a 6th gen Z/28.

Instead of aiming for full road courses, what if they optimize it for ripping up autocross circuits? It would need to be as light and well balanced as possible. Outright power is less important too. So the turbo4 would be the best choice for such a car. Since it doesn't have to deal with ultra high speeds or multiple consecutive laps, it wouldn't need much in the way of aerodynamic doodads or extra coolers further keeping weight weight down. The cost saved from not doing those things could be put into the suspension and brakes. On a road course it might get a hero lap on par with the V6 1LE, depending on the track. But on a cone covered parking lot? It would be king.

I don't like the idea ... but I can see it happening.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #45
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I know its sacrilege to say it ... but I still don't want to eliminate the possibility that GM will go in a radically different direction with a 6th gen Z/28.

Instead of aiming for full road courses, what if they optimize it for ripping up autocross circuits? It would need to be as light and well balanced as possible. Outright power is less important too. So the turbo4 would be the best choice for such a car. Since it doesn't have to deal with ultra high speeds or multiple consecutive laps, it wouldn't need much in the way of aerodynamic doodads or extra coolers further keeping weight weight down. The cost saved from not doing those things could be put into the suspension and brakes. On a road course it might get a hero lap on par with the V6 1LE, depending on the track. But on a cone covered parking lot? It would be king.

I don't like the idea ... but I can see it happening.
Thats what the Auto X concept is......a 2.0 liter Turbo 4 1LE RS....but that's NOT what a Z/28 should be in my opinion.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #46
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
why would anyone want one? To buy a slower more expensive option than zl1 or zl1 1le? lol
Then you don't know what a Z28 is. I would not trade my Z28 for a 2019 ZL1 1LE.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #47
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
Then you don't know what a Z28 is. I would not trade my Z28 for a 2019 ZL1 1LE.
Oh I think you would after driving one on the track.
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #48
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I just read this whole thread and thing that surprises me the most is that a lot of people just don't think it is possible to make a faster track car than the ZL1 1LE. If you look at recent history, every iteration of the Camaro has improved track times and all of the models that have come out have managed to be faster around a track.

Regarding the comments that the gen5 Z/28 was the top dog. It never had as much power as the ZL1, it was slower in the 1/4 mile and on some tracks. On many tracks it really was not much faster than the ZL1 because of the power difference. The recent recipe (gen5) for the Z/28 has been less weight, better suspension, better tires, brakes and aero to make a better track car.

Could the current ZL1 1LE be made lighter.... most definitely, many of posters above have listed areas that are easy to improve.... Does GM have better brake technology available, yes..... Could the current ZL1 1LE suspension be improved, it will take some work but I'm guessing it could... Could the tires and aero on the current ZL1 1LE be improved, it will take some engineers some work but I don't think this the current car is a SR71 blackbird that will be unbeatable for decades..... Somehow the Mercedes GTR is beating it around most tracks.

The big issue I see is that Al O has adamantly stated a Z/28 will be N/A. I guess he likes N/A cars. I think he is limiting the Z/28 possibilities by doing this but he is the head engineer. I could go on and on about the current fast Porsche, Mclaren and Ferrari cars choice of engine induction but I digress. So no matter what, we need a different GM engine for a Gen6 Z/28. There has been a lot of talk about the LT5 but I don't know if anyone (outside of GM) has actually seen it. I think that engine is the answer to the Z/28 question.

I'm hoping we see a gen6 Z/28. In my opinion, if it can't beat the current ZL1 1LE around the ring there is no point in doing it. Is it possible? I think so, like I said above I think we should keep an eye out for the next big GM v8 and if it fits the bill we can expect another Z/28.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #49
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I just read this whole thread and thing that surprises me the most is that a lot of people just don't think it is possible to make a faster track car than the ZL1 1LE. If you look at recent history, every iteration of the Camaro has improved track times and all of the models that have come out have managed to be faster around a track.

Regarding the comments that the gen5 Z/28 was the top dog. It never had as much power as the ZL1, it was slower in the 1/4 mile and on some tracks. On many tracks it really was not much faster than the ZL1 because of the power difference. The recent recipe (gen5) for the Z/28 has been less weight, better suspension, better tires, brakes and aero to make a better track car.

Could the current ZL1 1LE be made lighter.... most definitely, many of posters above have listed areas that are easy to improve.... Does GM have better brake technology available, yes..... Could the current ZL1 1LE suspension be improved, it will take some work but I'm guessing it could... Could the tires and aero on the current ZL1 1LE be improved, it will take some engineers some work but I don't think this the current car is a SR71 blackbird that will be unbeatable for decades..... Somehow the Mercedes GTR is beating it around most tracks.

The big issue I see is that Al O has adamantly stated a Z/28 will be N/A. I guess he likes N/A cars. I think he is limiting the Z/28 possibilities by doing this but he is the head engineer. I could go on and on about the current fast Porsche, Mclaren and Ferrari cars choice of engine induction but I digress. So no matter what, we need a different GM engine for a Gen6 Z/28. There has been a lot of talk about the LT5 but I don't know if anyone (outside of GM) has actually seen it. I think that engine is the answer to the Z/28 question.

I'm hoping we see a gen6 Z/28. In my opinion, if it can't beat the current ZL1 1LE around the ring there is no point in doing it. Is it possible? I think so, like I said above I think we should keep an eye out for the next big GM v8 and if it fits the bill we can expect another Z/28.
The 5th gen Z was top dog in terms of price, go fast goodies and "hard coreness" While I agree with you they can build a faster car than the ZL1 1LE, IMO what they can't do is do it N/A (which is why the5th gen ZL1 was called ZL1 and not Z/28, bc it wasn't true to the badge). If they went with some exotic materials, CCB, extreme aero and extreme diet, maybe they could build a car faster than the ZL1 1LE, but at what cost? If it has to be the top performing car, I just don't see it happening.

I still say best bet is slotted between SS 1lE and ZL1
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #50
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Just my opinion - and I'll probably get flamed for it - but a new Z/28 does not necessarily have to be faster or better that the ZL1 1LE to justify it.

GM could follow Dodge's playbook (Scat Pack, SRT 392, T/A) and introduce a different model (ala, Z/28) but that would have the Z/28 trim and some unique to the model features such as an enhanced LT1 (LT5?), different wheels/tires, body flares, etc yet still retain the basic premise of a Z/28.

However, it does have to sell in order to justify its existence. And I think a Z/28 badged Camaro would sell very well as long as they don't over price it.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #51
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Just my opinion - and I'll probably get flamed for it - but a new Z/28 does not necessarily have to be faster or better that the ZL1 1LE to justify it.

GM could follow Dodge's playbook (Scat Pack, SRT 392, T/A) and introduce a different model (ala, Z/28) but that would have the Z/28 trim and some unique to the model features such as an enhanced LT1 (LT5?), different wheels/tires, body flares, etc yet still retain the basic premise of a Z/28.

However, it does have to sell in order to justify its existence. And I think a Z/28 badged Camaro would sell very well as long as they don't over price it.
That is the key there. That is why I don't see an NA Camaro being able to produce faster lap times than the ZL1 1LE, all the go fast goodies that car would need would most likely send the price tag through the roof.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #52
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
I think chevy learned a lesson after seeing new 2014-2015s Z28s sitting new at dealerships after 2 years,and then selling for $15k less then sticker. As of right now there is no reason for a Z28 to happen and i doubt one will happen in the 3 years . I think they will introduce an hybrid or all electric camaro with Z like numbers before we see another Z28.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #53
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The reason the Z/28 sat is because they built too many. Why do you think they are only building 750 ZL1 1LEs a year?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #54
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The reason the Z/28 sat is because they built too many. Why do you think they are only building 750 ZL1 1LEs a year?
I can't see how 500 cars can be called too many, although i know from the start it was never in the plans to sell in high numbers . But either way they sat and didn't sell . In two years there won't be any 2018 zl1 1le sitting on dealer lots at 30 % or more off of sticker . Right now there are so many used Z28s available most don't have over 5k miles and the selling price is dropping like a brick ,thats not a good thing.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #55
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
What hurts the Z/28 is they waited for after the refresh to make it. And people were expecting the leaner, sharper handling alpha platform cars.

With the industry push to integrate electric drive, I wouldn't doubt them kicking around the idea of a Z/28 with an electric front axle. Maybe something like that would also make having Brembos obsolete?
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #56
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
What hurts the Z/28 is they waited for after the refresh to make it. And people were expecting the leaner, sharper handling alpha platform cars.

With the industry push to integrate electric drive, I wouldn't doubt them kicking around the idea of a Z/28 with an electric front axle. Maybe something like that would also make having Brembos obsolete?
I would love to see chevy build an AWD Hybrid High performance, on the lines of the NSX . Chevy will end up years behind the competition if they are not working on something now .