Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #15
Stocktastic

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
No, it doesn't require the small knuckle bolt whatsoever. The easiest way to set the camber is to have the strut bolts just barely snug, that way the camber holds while you torque it down.

Glad to hear you got a refund!
Explain?

Not doubting, serious question. Lol
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
The knuckle bolt only helps reduce camber, it still doesn't guarantee the knuckle is positioned correctly without some muscle.

Just like any mac strut using eccentric holes for camber adjustment, some mechanical competence is required; it doesn't just fall into place at the camber setting you're hoping for. As such, once you loosen the strut nuts, hammer the splines loose, then you can freely locate the strut. Of course it doesn't just stay there, so this is when it helps to lightly snug the upper bolt while holding the strut in place. Sure, the little knuckle bolt might help if the strut magically wants to lean up against it, but it's absolutely not required, or even helpful in all cases.

Maybe I can't explain it well enough. I've done so many alignments on so many different cars, GM arbitrarily deciding that an alignment bolt is "required" is completely asinine to me.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
This is not even my car and im royally pissed. This is why i am not even taking my car into the dealer for the 2 free oil changes they gave me.

Past:
2008 C6 - heads/cam/boltons
2005 GTO - cam/boltons
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #18
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
A kit being necessary is news to me.

My alignment was done by Criswell Chevy in Gaithersburg and they did an excellent job.
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #19
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
How about this.......went to my dealer for the track alignment. The SHOP MANAGER ( who says he's raced cars) tells me they can't do it because....wait for it..................THE CAR WOULD BE UNDRIVEABLE ON THE STREET!
I got that answer several times too. I was in shock lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
No, I think that statement to the OP was false. The track settings involve the same basic procedures as a standard 4-wheel alignment, except for the ZL1 1LE which requires extra work to flip a part in the struts. I doubt even that requires specific tools to perform.
Quote:
The knuckle bolt only helps reduce camber, it still doesn't guarantee the knuckle is positioned correctly without some muscle.

Just like any mac strut using eccentric holes for camber adjustment, some mechanical competence is required; it doesn't just fall into place at the camber setting you're hoping for. As such, once you loosen the strut nuts, hammer the splines loose, then you can freely locate the strut. Of course it doesn't just stay there, so this is when it helps to lightly snug the upper bolt while holding the strut in place. Sure, the little knuckle bolt might help if the strut magically wants to lean up against it, but it's absolutely not required, or even helpful in all cases.

Maybe I can't explain it well enough. I've done so many alignments on so many different cars, GM arbitrarily deciding that an alignment bolt is "required" is completely asinine to me.
^what they said. I had multiple dealers tell me they needed that bolt....I took it as a sign they didn't truly understand what I was asking for so I went elsewhere.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
Stocktastic

Quote:

Nope, I totally understand. That's the way I prefer to do it, but didn't have time to get it to my normal alignment guy.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #21
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
Sorry to hear about this, hope they resolve the situation in an acceptable manner. While calling around for track alignments myself I was amazed by the lack of knowledge at the dealers locally. Half said they "couldn't do that" even tho I pointed out in comes in the track manual and almost everyone else said they could do it but don't do them often and would need the car for at least a day. Luckily I found a local dealer with a performance manager that tracks his personal ZL1 1LE and they got me all sorted out.
Where do you go for this? None of the dealers by me have any clue what I am talking about
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #22
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Where do you go for this? None of the dealers by me have any clue what I am talking about
Check out Matick Chevy at 96 and Telegraph. That's the dealer with the perf. manager that's legit and has the zl1 1le. I also had some warranty work (leaky oil pan) done there.....pulled in for service along a grand sport, c6 and 2 other camaros. When I picked it back up there was a ZR1 that goes there for all of its track prep among various other vettes. Safe to say this is where I will be going for everything in the future. They also got my front camber to -2.5 for what its worth.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #23
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Chevy dealers scare me.. this is just... WHAT?! What's the name of the dealer so none of us ever go there? Even if they refunded you, it's pure incompetence and should not be in business at all doing service of any kind. Having a loose knuckle like that could have ended catastrophically.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:27 AM   #24
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocktastic View Post
First off, the Dealer will remain nameless at this point - I'm going to be speaking with them about a refund of the service price in the morning.

SO....

I have a 2017 SS 1LE. I wanted a track alignment. The dealer seemed to have ZERO clue about what that was. Got a call from them saying they found the info and order the required "kit".

Kit came in and they performed the track alignment. I had my dad take the car to them as I was at work. 7 hours later... the alignment was finished (he waited the entire 7 hours in the dealership). Until I got a call from the dealer saying they had mistakenly done a standard alignment and would need the car back to perform the track alignment. Ok cool, mistakes happen, whatever.

Dropped the car off this morning for the second attempt. They also replaced my steering wheel due to a peeling issue on the Fifty badge. Got a call around 4:30 that the car was ready and I could drop off the loaner. I got there and picked up the car, everything looked good.

On the drive home I took an onramp and it felt pretty good. As I turned onto the main road leading to my house, I felt a slight pull to the left. The pull got worse.

Got home and hopped out to find the top of the left front tire sitting proud of the fender by about an inch. Uhhhh...

Then, to my horror, this is what I found...

So I jacked it up and removed the wheel...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a6KCdv]

I don't even have words. The adjustment bolt is Loctited in, the cam bolt is still there, everything was hand tight. They did, however, give me the stock upper bolts back...

First clue.
Three hours into this fiasco you should have called it a fail.
After waiting 7 hours for an alignment, I would never have gone back and raised hell while leaving, buried them on any survey.
When told they did the wrong alignment after having your car for an entire day, I would have laughed and asked for my money back from the initial alignment.

I would be contacting GM about the danger you and your dad were put in, possibly a lawyer.
No one got hurt this time, but what about the next guy, he might not be so lucky.

This is all because dealers generally hire the cheapest help they can get to maximize their profit margin.
Charge you $120/hr, pay the mechanic $15/hr while yelling "hurry up" at him.

Good luck and I hope this dealer goes out of business.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #25
Stocktastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
First clue.
Three hours into this fiasco you should have called it a fail.
After waiting 7 hours for an alignment, I would never have gone back and raised hell while leaving, buried them on any survey.
When told they did the wrong alignment after having your car for an entire day, I would have laughed and asked for my money back from the initial alignment.

I would be contacting GM about the danger you and your dad were put in, possibly a lawyer.
No one got hurt this time, but what about the next guy, he might not be so lucky.

This is all because dealers generally hire the cheapest help they can get to maximize their profit margin.
Charge you $120/hr, pay the mechanic $15/hr while yelling "hurry up" at him.

Good luck and I hope this dealer goes out of business.
There was no initial charge. I was not happy and they knew it. I gave them another chance to rectify the problem.

When I asked if they could sell me new lower strut mount bolts and rear camber bolts at cost, I was told he couldn't do that. He did, however, give me wholesale pricing on them.

The dealer is Jeff Gordon Chevrolet.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #26
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocktastic View Post
There was no initial charge. I was not happy and they knew it. I gave them another chance to rectify the problem.

When I asked if they could sell me new lower strut mount bolts and rear camber bolts at cost, I was told he couldn't do that. He did, however, give me wholesale pricing on them.

The dealer is Jeff Gordon Chevrolet.
I hope everything works out in your favor and there are no ill effects to the car, and you can get a real alignment done.

Sorry you had to go through this.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #27
Stocktastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I hope everything works out in your favor and there are no ill effects to the car, and you can get a real alignment done.

Sorry you had to go through this.
Yeah, it sucks, but it's whatever. Not worth me getting worked up over.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
For anyone getting an alignment, either track or street....

When you're handing your keys to the guy at the desk make sure they put on the work order that you want to see printouts of the before and after alignment numbers.

If they "forget", make then do it again, that's the ONLY way you'll be sure to get what you want.