Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #15
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
There is a d-shaped steering wheel cover that fits our small steering wheels. I searched for about a month and finally found one because I hate the alcantara. Ours is 14" wide and this fits' 13.5 to 14.5. See link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Trend-G...steering+wheel
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
This is the one situation where I’m happy my hands are dry as hell.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I have used a company before called Dallas Steering Wheel - they did a nice job.
I've used them a couple of times and they do *amazing* work.

In fact, I had them do the GT350 steering wheel on my Mustang in half solid/half perforated leather and it came out absolutely fantastic. He can also increase the thickness of the wheel if you want. Super high quality, can't say enough good about this service.

I want to say it was $350 for the whole thing in case anyone was wondering (usually the first question).
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #18
D3adpool

Drives: Garnet Red 2018 SS 1LE "Deadpool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabhart View Post
I love the Alcantara against bare skin however driving the car makes my palms sweaty. I find myself constantly drying my palms on my pant legs. Gloves may be the answer but I would hate to be "that guy".
LOL, tint the windows so nobody can see! And besides...when I'm behind the wheel of my car...my "give a sh!t" meter drops to 0% about what people think, lol.

In the end, I'm the one with the huge-ass smile on my face!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #19
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeKnee Sea View Post
There is a d-shaped steering wheel cover that fits our small steering wheels. I searched for about a month and finally found one because I hate the alcantara. Ours is 14" wide and this fits' 13.5 to 14.5. See link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Trend-G...steering+wheel
That's just wrong.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #20
Lugnutty

Drives: 2022 2SS
I agree about the alcantara. It feels awful and is too slippy on the street without gloves on, and it wears way way too fast.

I bought a leather 1SS steering wheel and shift knob and put them on. Super simple to do both. I didn't replace my shift boot and it looks fine. I don't have to touch the shift boot most of the time, so the alcantara is fine there.

It is easier to keep clean now and it feels so so so much better to handle.

Lethal Garage has a Youtube video up but he seriously overcomplicated it.

Disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes for it to completely discharge.
Use a couple of smallish screwdrivers to push in the spring clips from the holes on the side of the steering wheel below the paddles. That'll release the airbag and you can remove it.
Then unclip the wiring. I found it easier to turn the wheel upside down to have easier access to the little pink and purple connectors. Then turn it right side up and unclip the red plug.
Then unplug the connector at the top of the wheel. See if you can do this with the wheel still attached so you don't risk popping off the cover of the clock spring.
Then use your T50 bit, hold the steering wheel with your hand, and undo the bolt part-way with your other hand. You don't need air tools. You don't need a helper. You just need to hold the wheel with your hand.
Once you've undone the wheel bolt part-way, wiggle the steering wheel loose. Leaving the bolt on there means you can pull it and when it slips free it won't smash you in the face. Once it's loose, undo the bolt the rest of the way and slip the wheel off.
Installation is the reverse of this process. Easy peasy. I think it took me 15 minutes.
Lugnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutty View Post
I agree about the alcantara. It feels awful and is too slippy on the street without gloves on, and it wears way way too fast.

I bought a leather 1SS steering wheel and shift knob and put them on. Super simple to do both. I didn't replace my shift boot and it looks fine. I don't have to touch the shift boot most of the time, so the alcantara is fine there.

It is easier to keep clean now and it feels so so so much better to handle.

Lethal Garage has a Youtube video up but he seriously overcomplicated it.

Disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes for it to completely discharge.
Use a couple of smallish screwdrivers to push in the spring clips from the holes on the side of the steering wheel below the paddles. That'll release the airbag and you can remove it.
Then unclip the wiring. I found it easier to turn the wheel upside down to have easier access to the little pink and purple connectors. Then turn it right side up and unclip the red plug.
Then unplug the connector at the top of the wheel. See if you can do this with the wheel still attached so you don't risk popping off the cover of the clock spring.
Then use your T50 bit, hold the steering wheel with your hand, and undo the bolt part-way with your other hand. You don't need air tools. You don't need a helper. You just need to hold the wheel with your hand.
Once you've undone the wheel bolt part-way, wiggle the steering wheel loose. Leaving the bolt on there means you can pull it and when it slips free it won't smash you in the face. Once it's loose, undo the bolt the rest of the way and slip the wheel off.
Installation is the reverse of this process. Easy peasy. I think it took me 15 minutes.
As I understand it, it is a little more involved with the 2SS wheel, as you have to deal with the heating wire coils. That is why I am just paying the local dealer to do it.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #22
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
As I understand it, it is a little more involved with the 2SS wheel, as you have to deal with the heating wire coils. That is why I am just paying the local dealer to do it.
Wait, so the 2SS 1LE has a heated alcantara wheel? That's awesome hahaha!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I've read so much about this that I wipe and brush my steering wheel, driver's seat and shift knob after almost every time using the car.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #24
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Wait, so the 2SS 1LE has a heated alcantara wheel? That's awesome hahaha!!!
Yes it does.

I will be selling my Alcantara wheel and shift boot after I get the leather one installed.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Here's how my wheel looks currently. It actually feels clean, just looks and feels worn. I clean it every couple of weeks with rubbing alcohol and a soft brush.
Attached Images

R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #26
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
Here is an option for ya.

https://wildhammermotorsports.com/ca...el-wildhammer/
Old 08-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #27
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Is this the part #84097154 ?
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #28
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I changed my alcantara wheel/knob/boot to the base 1ss leather items.

I ordered my parts form Wildhammer motorsports.

The Alcantara sucks, and its time for GM to acknowledge that. The guy from the above company told me he does this all the time for customers. And just from this thread you can see that its very common. People just don't like the feel of Alcantara and I really have no idea why they keep putting it all over the main touchpoints of the car.

I did it mostly myself in my garage, but I could not get my steering wheel bolt off by myself. I ended up stripping out the T50 bolt and then had to take it to my local shop where they used an extra long chisel and hammer to get it off. Don't even try to use a regular ratchet on it. Go directly to a high-torque impact wrench.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote