View Poll Results: floor jack vs race ramps
jack 16 55.17%
ramp 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
I use a jack with Race Ramps Adjustable Height Wheel Cribs - 8"- safer and easier for all my lowered cars. I use the single 8" Crib for quick oil changes , at the track or at car shows. Also they come in real handy to adjust the OEM camber settings on the ZL1 ILE.
I can keep one side lifted on a single 8" crib while quickly jacking the other side to get them to engage/disengage. I think the 10" ones might be too high and require a bigger jack than I want to carry to the track to lift it that high.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #16
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
You need both
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #17
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Both... how are you going to do brakes with race ramps?
This.. Need a both option ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:33 PM   #18
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Ironically, jacking up the Camaro feels scarier than any car I'd done before. The chassis is *TOO STIFF*! You can't just do one corner at a time, so the car feels precariously balanced on the jack stands when you jack it from one side and then the other. I have race ramps but they don't clear the front splitter. And since most of the work I end up doing on the car is to swap brake pads, they don't add much value for me. If I do oil and diff oil I'm also probably going to flush brake fluid and do a pad swap at the same time.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #19
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
[QUOTE=R3ctivision;10283953]Ironically, jacking up the Camaro feels scarier than any car I'd done before. The chassis is *TOO STIFF*! You can't just do one corner at a time, so the car feels precariously balanced on the jack stands when you jack it from one side and then the other. I have race ramps but they don't clear the front splitter. And since most of the work I end up doing on the car is to swap brake pads, they don't add much value for me. If I do oil and diff oil I'm also probably going to flush brake fluid and do a pad swap at the same time.[/QUO

Do you have the 56” long race ramp version and it won’t clear the splitter ? I don’t have an le so do you think the ramps will clear as the splitter on a regular ZL1 is shorter and the car may have bit higher ground clearance than an le ?

I’m thinking I’d use ramps in the front, lift the rear from the diff with a jack and use jack stands on my add on’s lift points in the rear then remove the jack to change the diff oil. Really would rather use four ramps but at 8” plus the tire stop they won’t fit under the car. I’d appreciate any thoughts on this scenario form all the experience here.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #20
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post
Are the race ramps high enough for oil changes? Anyone try yet?
Yes, Race ramps are great for oil changes, floor jack for everything else. I have the two piece version.

Lethal Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #21
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
[QUOTE=DANACO;10283973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
Ironically, jacking up the Camaro feels scarier than any car I'd done before. The chassis is *TOO STIFF*! You can't just do one corner at a time, so the car feels precariously balanced on the jack stands when you jack it from one side and then the other. I have race ramps but they don't clear the front splitter. And since most of the work I end up doing on the car is to swap brake pads, they don't add much value for me. If I do oil and diff oil I'm also probably going to flush brake fluid and do a pad swap at the same time.[/QUO

Do you have the 56” long race ramp version and it won’t clear the splitter ? I don’t have an le so do you think the ramps will clear as the splitter on a regular ZL1 is shorter and the car may have bit higher ground clearance than an le ?

I’m thinking I’d use ramps in the front, lift the rear from the diff with a jack and use jack stands on my add on’s lift points in the rear then remove the jack to change the diff oil. Really would rather use four ramps but at 8” plus the tire stop they won’t fit under the car. I’d appreciate any thoughts on this scenario form all the experience here.
For the rear diff, I used my rhino ramps and just backed the car up onto them. Worked fine, had plenty of space to do the rear diff oil change.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #22
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
[QUOTE=Jmueller;10284147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANACO View Post

For the rear diff, I used my rhino ramps and just backed the car up onto them. Worked fine, had plenty of space to do the rear diff oil change.
By doing so the car was not level, I understand it should be when doing this oil change.
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #23
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
[QUOTE=DANACO;10284156]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post

By doing so the car was not level, I understand it should be when doing this oil change.
Fair point, I have a 2 inch drop from my garage floor to my driveway. I left the front wheels in the garage to mitigate or minimize the amount of mis-leveling. It was about a two or three inch difference at most; I feel that is reasonable.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #24
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Both have their uses.

That's like asking "engine or transmission?!"