Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #57
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Congrats....Good stuff....That guy has his act together, for sure....

How about that Camaro rear clip?...lol...What in the heck was holding it on?
Witchcraft.

The second Camaro in the pack definitely pushed forward hard over the past two races. 7th place, I think he finished today?

It'll be nice to see a Camaro win, eventually...but given how new the cars are - it's just damned fun to watch.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #58
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Not sure if he could have overtaken that stang, but sure would have liked to have seen a chance. Oh well, great run for the Camaro's.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #59
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZ View Post
2 for 2 for Grandpa Boss 302
I wonder if Aquilante is on any professional race team's radar now? He should be, honestly. That guy is a fantastic driver, with a lot of knowledge behind him.

Chevy did very well in not having a car that breaks down and finishes the races. Second place is very respectable. However, there is zero getting past being beat by a grassroots-built Boss 302S... You can't really make the excuse that it was just the driver, Mr. Aquilante; there were other cars creeping on the rear of Aschenbach's GT4.R... Thing is, I'm not sure what the BoP comparison is for the GT4.R. Was it overly conservative? Was it fairly equal? I haven't seen the info on this yet.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #60
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I wonder if Aquilante is on any professional race team's radar now? He should be, honestly. That guy is a fantastic driver, with a lot of knowledge behind him.

Chevy did very well in not having a car that breaks down and finishes the races. Second place is very respectable. However, there is zero getting past being beat by a grassroots-built Boss 302S... You can't really make the excuse that it was just the driver, Mr. Aquilante; there were other cars creeping on the rear of Aschenbach's GT4.R... Thing is, I'm not sure what the BoP comparison is for the GT4.R. Was it overly conservative? Was it fairly equal? I haven't seen the info on this yet.
The curb on Turn 3 seemed to be a major factor for the Boss. Aquilante flew over that curb with total confidence in his LRA. Aschebach seemed to be less confident in 'abusing' his new racer.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #61
Mountain

Quote:
The curb on Turn 3 seemed to be a major factor for the Boss. Aquilante flew over that curb with total confidence in his LRA. Aschebach seemed to be less confident in 'abusing' his new racer.
Agreed. Even the PWC commentators noticed that. In the instances the camera stayed on the two lead cars for a lap or two, you could clearly seen the Camaro decrease the Mustang's gap, then on turn 2 and 3, it would fall back. I think if Robin Lidell (previous Stevenson Camaro driver), Bill Johnson (Ford driver) or Spencer Pumpelly would have had driven the Camaro, the story may be different. Lawson is a very good driver. He just is a very conservative driver. Im getting impressed with Maxwell so far this seasion. The last two, he's started very fast, for the first, say, 15 laps, then just fell off.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #62
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
It looks like the Camaro GT4.R is not ready to go up against the Mustang GT4.R this weekend at Sebring. Not on the entry list yet.
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #63
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
It's a race car. So, 100% no.
Ok thanks, just wasn't sure.

It is also confirmed here in this news article..

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/chevy-cam...145622579.html

The stock electric power steering is also replaced with an old school hydraulic system, and virtually everything is stripped out of the interior. The GT4.R weighs 3,150 pounds, compared to 3,820 pounds for a stock ZL1 1LE.

Looks like more than 900 from the ZL1 and 600+ pounds of weight savings from the ZL1 - 1LE..
Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #64
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
Ok thanks, just wasn't sure.

It is also confirmed here in this news article..

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/chevy-cam...145622579.html

The stock electric power steering is also replaced with an old school hydraulic system, and virtually everything is stripped out of the interior. The GT4.R weighs 3,150 pounds, compared to 3,820 pounds for a stock ZL1 1LE.

Looks like more than 900 from the ZL1 and 600+ pounds of weight savings from the ZL1 - 1LE..
That's very lightweight - awesome!!!

I can't help but remark that I don't know where some folks are referring to for ZL1 weights. I've noticed this before...

The ZL1 manual weighs 3883 lb. ZL1 automatic weighs 3944. ZL1 1LE is, as quoted 3820 lbs.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #65
Mountain

Quote:
It looks like the Camaro GT4.R is not ready to go up against the Mustang GT4.R this weekend at Sebring. Not on the entry list yet.
Nope, they were targeting Sebring, but the car isn't ready. It will be interesting to see how that version of the GT4.R does, especially against the Mustang GT4 (a very wicked car and one that will be tough to beat).
Old 03-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #66
Mountain

Lawson's article: http://sportscar365.com/features/com...-pete-debrief/
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #67
Mountain

Bringing back this thread for those of us that follow sportscar racing to talk Camaro GT4 racing and all things related to competition.

From the 2017 season start, there is the Blackdog Speed Shop 2-car effort in PWC and the Stevenson Motorsports 1-car effort in the second-half of the CTSC season. The Stevenson Motorsports team didn't last until the end of the season, due to Johnny Stevenson, the owner, passing away, and other financial pressure.

For the 2018 season, the main Stevenson car, and the backup car, were purchased by V8 Racing in Europe, and is racing a 2-car effort in the European GT4 Series. Blackdog Speed Shop has returned in PWC and Robinson Racing has switched from their Mercedes AMG GT4 cars to Camaro GT4.R cars after a couple PWC races, in a 2-car effort.

Late in the 2018 CTSC season, Rebel Rock Racing, under new management, has announced that they will be running a 1-car effort with the Camaro GT4.R for the remainder of the season and a 2-car effort for the 2019 season.

Now that we have some Camaro's out there, in the racing field, let's talk!

Robinson Racing's switch from Mercedes AMG GT4 to Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R in PWC:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531275

Rebel Rock Racing's late entry into CTSC:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536221
Old 08-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #68
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Following
Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #69
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Yeah, it's good to see this. I organized a Camaro Corral for the CTSCC event at Watkins Glen from 2011-2015 after which Chevrolet pulled their support from the series. Got to know some of the Stevenson and Mitchum guys pretty well. Those were some good times. I was hoping to organize something for the PWC event there Labor Day weekend, but at $80 per ticket I guess I'll just read about it here on the ole interweb.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #70
Mountain

Rebel Rock Racing Forging A New Path With Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R
The Chevrolet Camaro GT4.R is back in the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge.

Rebel Rock Racing – a longtime Porsche team – will campaign the No. 71 Camaro GT4.R for longtime co-drivers Robin Liddell and Andrew Davis this weekend at VIR. The team is under new ownership from Frank Depew who is preparing an anticipated two-car effort in 2019.

The team shook down the car, which is rolling on Forgeline one-piece forged monoblock GS1R wheels wrapped in Continental Tires, during a promoter test day at the track Thursday.

“Frank has a very clear vision of what he would like Rebel Rock to become as an organization, and as a result the team has gone through quite a transformation since we last raced,” said Liddell. “It is tremendously exciting to be going back to VIR for what is a debut of sorts. Having Andrew (Davis) as my co-driver will give us the chance to get up to speed very quickly. The IMSA Continental Tire (Challenge) is incredibly competitive, but we’ve been working to put the right people in the right place, and we know the Camaro is quite capable.”
https://sportscarchallenge.imsa.com/...rsday-notebook

Going into the weekend, lets take a look at VIR and the 2017 season for the Camaro GT4.R.

The Camaro entered into the CTSC season late, slated for the Sebring race (Race #2 of the CTSC 2017 season), but didn't make it's debut until the race at CoTA (Race #3 of CTSC). The car did well, and benefited from some race knowledge of the Blackdog cars that had already had four races on them (2 at St. Pete and 2 at VIR).

The races went as followed:
R3: CoTA - 5th
R4: Watkins Glen - 11th (DNF)
R5: CTMP - 1st
R6: Lime Rock - 1st
R7: Road America - 4th
R8: VIR - 2nd
R9: Laguna Seca - DNS
R10: Road Atlanta - DNS
https://sportscarchallenge.imsa.com/results-archive

The DNF from Race #4 of the CTSC, at Watkins Glen, was due to a blown engine, late in the race. The car had great pace, and was on track for a podium finish (was in 3rd with 18 minutes left). The engines in these cars are very similar to the LT1 in the production Camaro SS. Really, it is an LT1 with a different camshaft (as a side note, SS 1LE, ZL1 and ZL1 1LE owners will be happy to hear that the suspension links, front and rear, are FE4/FEA factory pieces). The issue was a freak one and not seen with the Blackdog cars and not one that has been seen since, in any of the other GT4.R's (I cannot 100% confirm on the V8 Racing cars in Europe). The only issue on the Camaro GT4.R that seems to occur is a broken differential. One of the Blackdog cars had a differential go before the first VIR race of 2017 (3rd race for the car) and one of the Robinson Racing cars had it happen twice going into and also during the first race at PIR this season of PWC. The Stevenson car nevere had the issue and neither of the Blackdog or Robinson cars have had it since. It seems that if the car runs into this problem, they are fine from there out...

The DNS are from Stevenson pulling out of racing due to Johnny Steveson's passing and other financial issues, as said.

Now, lets get into VIR. VIR is a narrow track, with many elevation changes and cambered corners. This makes for a very difficult race to get passing done, especially when cars are running very similar lap times. So, this weekends race should be one that shows a lot of aggressive action.

Speaking of lap times, the Camaro GT4.R seems to run times similar to the Cayman GT4 MR and 570S GT4. It also trades paint with the Mustang GT4 as well, when the Mustangs aren't BoPed dumb.

Speaking of Mustang's, going into VIR this weekend, there are a lot of them, with a lot of very good drivers. There are 4 Mustangs in the top 10 for the series. The top 4 cars, #46 AMG GT4, #28 Cayman GT4 MR, #60 Mustang GT4 and #82 M4 GT4.

As noted, the Camaro GT4.R can keep up with the Mustang and Cayman, based on last year in CTSC. Looking over to PWC this also holds true. However, if you look at the PWC results for this season, where the Camaro GT4.R has still been racing, the Camaro GT4.R is, for the most part, either on pace, or just slightly under pace compared to the BMW M4 GT4, AMG GT4, Audi R8 GT4 and, as of recent, the Mustang GT4.

If you look at the BoP for the Camaro GT4.R in CTSC, going into VIR, it seems that the BoP is about where it left off for the car when Stevenson Motorsports left. How will the Camaro GT4.R do? Well, I think if the differential doesn't break, the car has a good chance of being in the top 10, for sure, and likely a shot in the top 5. I think for the car and the team to get a podium finish would be possible, given the driver talent, but more realistically wont happen with a brand new car and a new-ish team.

Photos:
The Revel Rock car
2018 PWC VIR Results
2017 CTSC VIR Results
CTSC Current BoP
PWC Current BoP
Attached Images

Last edited by Mountain; 08-17-2018 at 12:32 AM.