AWE Tuning

Old 02-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
The front lower grille opening that looks like it was designed for a turbojet intake suggests "yes".

EDIT: Man...everytime I look at this mule it reminds me how much I'm going to want this car. Why can't I have enough $$$ to buy one of everything?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #30
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
EDIT: Man...everytime I look at this mule it reminds me how much I'm going to want this car. Why can't I have enough $$$ to buy one of everything?
Knowing this car is coming is the only reason I haven't bought a '16 SS. I'll patiently wait until it's finally here.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #31
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeWilson View Post
Knowing this car is coming is the only reason I haven't bought a '16 SS. I'll patiently wait until it's finally here.
Same here this is the car I am waiting for

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #32
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
Quote:
I ask myself that question quite a bit. My collection would be amazing.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
Good questions. 500 miles of seat time in both cars on the same day over the same roads does bring out some differences. First and foremost, the ZL1 is clearly the beast of the two. You know you are driving a high HP muscle car because it sounds like one and drives like one all the time. You don't easily forget you are driving the ZL1. The bigger front tires require your complete attention on bad roads at 70 mph. The 2016 2SS is much more refined and easy to fit into if you are used to the 5th Gens. Visibility is about the same and the lane warnings are nice once you get used to them.

It's very easy to forget you are driving a fast car because the 2SS handles so well and is quiet compared to the ZL1. The adjustability for the exhaust is a nice touch but I left it in track mode except when playing. The seats (non-Recaros) are better in the ZL1 but both cars are easy to drive long distances. Overall, the technical evolution is the biggest difference. Almost everything is refined, easier to use, and seems to have the benefit of five years of testing and engineers who listened. For example, the sun visors are actually functional in the 2SS, the iPhone interface works pretty well, and the backup camera display beats the heck out of the rear view mirror one in the ZL1. The ride and traction control adjustability on the 2SS give you about everything you need to run street tires or DRs in the low 12s and high 11s. To do the same with the ZL1, you have to pull fuses to get power and avoid the nannie surprises.

Both cars have NPP, MRC and 6 piston Brembos and the performance comparison is interesting. The ZL1 is a beast when you hit the gas. It feels really fast and the supercharger just sounds awesome. You have to be careful in the first three gears and treat it like a baby when the road is wet or the tires break loose. The 2SS is kinda boring until you hit the gas. Lots of torque steer like the ZL1 but not the instant power - just steady pull until it shifts. That said, the 2SS was faster in both ET and 60ft than the ZL1 and the 2SS was very consistent. Keep in mind that my ZL1 was an M6 and the 2SS is an automatic. I've never been able to run good (1.8) and consistent 60ft times with the ZL1 but hit it right off the bat with the 2SS on both street tires and DRs.

Braking is awesome but really about the same with both even though the 2SS has smaller tires. One thing I like is that the 2SS doesn't suddenly break traction during normal driving like when you accelerate into traffic, turn at a light on a slick corner, or get frisky getting on to the interstate.

I've put about 2K miles on the 2SS and don't really have anything to add. It's easy to drive in traffic and I don't worry about taking it anywhere (except for the parking). The gas mileage increase on the 2SS was a nice surprise and I really don't notice the 8 cyl to 4 cyl transition anymore.

The switch to a 2SS now was a good move for me. For what it's worth, I am planning on another ZL1 in 2017 and also plan to keep the 2SS.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
I read through your posts, again: I truly enjoyed reading your insights and opinions on this topic. Thanks for putting the time into the posts!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #34
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
FANTASTIC writing trz174. Much, much appreciate it!

For me, ZL1 is just the better (performance) version of the 2SS. Still has all the bells and whistles for convenience but has the bad to the bone performance to go with that. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying the LT1 is slow but in comparison to the LT4 (or LS3 vs LSA), makes it look damn slow!

I am hoping to get my hands on a "ZL1" in the future (2020 model is what I have in mind and I will be keeping my 2SS especially with the history of my car) given it does have the LT4, has all the bells and whistles my 2SS does as well as some upgraded suspension components (mainly eLSD like the 1LE). Only negatives will be the gas millage, insurance and perhaps rougher on DD ability (even though I do not DD my current 2SS nor will I the "ZL1"). 2SS to me has proven both performance and luxury can be 1 package and still be very affordable. Yes, I said it is affordable. The bang you get for the buck is priceless PLUS I can fit and be comfortable in it!

Sadly though, since they announced the 1LE for 2017... We most likely won't know ANYTHING about the "ZL1" till this time next year... Thus "ZL1" is pushed off till 2018 and us learning anything about it really till 2017...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
As long as they keep the manual, I am good haha.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #35
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
FANTASTIC writing trz174. Much, much appreciate it!

For me, ZL1 is just the better (performance) version of the 2SS. Still has all the bells and whistles for convenience but has the bad to the bone performance to go with that. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying the LT1 is slow but in comparison to the LT4 (or LS3 vs LSA), makes it look damn slow!

I am hoping to get my hands on a "ZL1" in the future (2020 model is what I have in mind and I will be keeping my 2SS especially with the history of my car) given it does have the LT4, has all the bells and whistles my 2SS does as well as some upgraded suspension components (mainly eLSD like the 1LE). Only negatives will be the gas millage, insurance and perhaps rougher on DD ability (even though I do not DD my current 2SS nor will I the "ZL1"). 2SS to me has proven both performance and luxury can be 1 package and still be very affordable. Yes, I said it is affordable. The bang you get for the buck is priceless PLUS I can fit and be comfortable in it!

Sadly though, since they announced the 1LE for 2017... We most likely won't know ANYTHING about the "ZL1" till this time next year... Thus "ZL1" is pushed off till 2018 and us learning anything about it really till 2017...

As long as they keep the manual, I am good haha.
I still think the popular opinion is that it will be at NYIAS on 3/25/16. Keep the faith.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #36
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Thanks for the kind comments. A nice lady in Woodhaven MI suggested I do a few writeups since I was doing a lot of miles in the 12 ZL1 and 16 SS within a few days. I finally gave in and said I would - then she handed me the keys so I could drive the 16 SS back to Florida (just kidding Becky!). I did two fly and drives and it worked out great each time. But, driving up in a 12 ZL1 and back in 16 SS is a lot more fun.

I actually delete far more stuff than I post. At the risk of repeating myself, I miss the 12 ZL1 and even considered buying it back at one point. But, I'll focus on the 17 ZL1 auto and see what Al O and the Team can deliver.

I haven't driven the 16 SS for almost a month and am heading south tomorrow night. Looking forward to a car show with Emerald Coast Camaros Saturday in Panama City FL and SGMP Test and Tune in Valdosta GA next weekend. Then it's back to work in Tennessee. I plan to take the 16 SS with me and do some weekend runs around the Smokies and a few up and back blasts at Tail of the Dragon.

Again, thanks for the comments.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #37
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
Get ready to pay the up charge then. The car will 0-60 well below 3.4.

No, at best it will be 3.7. Only adding 60-70 hp. Basically it will be the new cts v engine. Hellcats and gt500s aren't getting down to 3.4 at 750 hp.

As someone said earlier. The zl1 is a full package. If you aren't going to track the car then mod it yourself. If you care about the suspension etc then it's worth the up charge.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #38
EE7

Drives: New
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post
No, at best it will be 3.7. Only adding 60-70 hp. Basically it will be the new cts v engine. Hellcats and gt500s aren't getting down to 3.4 at 750 hp.

As someone said earlier. The zl1 is a full package. If you aren't going to track the car then mod it yourself. If you care about the suspension etc then it's worth the up charge.
Both of those cars also have skinny tires and don't hook up nearly as well as the new SS. I can see a 3.4 happening.
EE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #39
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post
640-455 = 185hp increase. I think 3.5 is possible.

The Stingray accelerates to 60 in 3.7 seconds...the Camaro SS in 4.

The Z06 manages a 2.95 second run....the ZL1 could do 3.4 - 3.5...
Old 03-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #40
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
The ZL1 will have probably 10 less HP than the Z06 and the only real difference in acceleration will be weight, which is what...250-300 lbs? Don't forget the camaro will have a smarter traction control system. I bet we see 3.3 officially and Sub 3.0 with 3 months of them in the street.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #41
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idiocracy View Post
The ZL1 will have probably 10 less HP than the Z06 and the only real difference in acceleration will be weight, which is what...250-300 lbs? Don't forget the camaro will have a smarter traction control system. I bet we see 3.3 officially and Sub 3.0 with 3 months of them in the street.
How will it have a "smarter traction system?" It also will have skinner rear tires then the Z06. I don't see sub 3.0s happening, they are hard enough for the Z06 let a lone a heavier car. I bet 3.4-3.5 official and some guys can hit 3.1-3.2 but that'll be best case scenario.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #42
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
How will it have a "smarter traction system?" It also will have skinner rear tires then the Z06. I don't see sub 3.0s happening, they are hard enough for the Z06 let a lone a heavier car. I bet 3.4-3.5 official and some guys can hit 3.1-3.2 but that'll be best case scenario.
At this point it's probably more about traction than weight.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote