Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #29
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Haha, i know. It should just say.............

If you want to haul ass..............do this.

If you want nannies to help..........do this.

There shouldn't be like 10 fkn modes. We need just fast or slower.
Lol.....totally agree. SB much more simple. One button, haul ass in a straight line. One button, quickest around a road course. Now that I've got it figured out for road course use I'm generally ok. However, too easy to bump the console switch and move into the wrong PTM mode. Nearly caused an accident on track when I thought I was in Sport 2 but bumped it again and was in Sport 1 and StabiliTrak kicked in on fast corner and the car started trying to "correct" and I started fighting it because I thought that it was my line/speed rather than it being the car. Not cool. Wish that was more definitive on/off for each mode.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #30
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Lol.....totally agree. SB much more simple. One button, haul ass in a straight line. One button, quickest around a road course. Now that I've got it figured out for road course use I'm generally ok. However, too easy to bump the console switch and move into the wrong PTM mode. Nearly caused an accident on track when I thought I was in Sport 2 but bumped it again and was in Sport 1 and StabiliTrak kicked in on fast corner and the car started trying to "correct" and I started fighting it because I thought that it was my line/speed rather than it being the car. Not cool. Wish that was more definitive on/off for each mode.
I disagree. After the frustrations of dealing with too much intervention in my previous M3 and S4, even in the relaxed modes.

I welcome the multitude of options with GM's PTM. There is something in there for every driving style from mild to wild and plenty of in between.

There is nothing worse than having a fast car and having the systems kill all the fun and having the only option to be to defeat them and turn everything off and have no safety net.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #31
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:

So, in Sport 2, everything is off right? Sport 1, ST is still active. I'm not a road course guy, but if I was, I'd imagine after you got the hang of the car, you'd want everything off. I'm a roll race guy, i just don't want any power being pulled so. It's not like the nannies will come on as I'm not spinning so. That's why I just double tap and put it in Track mode. It tightens the feel of the wheel which i like even tho I'm just in a straight line. Makes it feel more planted. But, I can see on a road course, you'd like different modes as your skill set is adjusting.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #32
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Sport 2 still has nannies, just less of them. Race has even less and gives full power according to the manual. If you want to guarantee no intervention, the only way is to hold the TC button for 7 seconds or so in any driving mode, but if you are in Sport mode, double tapping the TC button puts you in Competitive Mode, which acts like everything is off, even though some say stability control is still on. I've tried to get SC to kick on in that mode by power sliding the car to near full steering lock with smoke rolling off the tires and it never cut any power.

If you're not spinning at your power level, then I'd recommend putting it in Sport mode and simply double tapping the TC button. If you want the Track steering feel, go into the settings in the infotainment screen and unlink the steering from drive mode by simply selecting Track. Then the steering will feel the way you like it no matter what driving mode you're in. I keep my exhaust in Track and Suspension in Tour that way.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:21 PM   #33
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Driving modes explained in detail

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #34
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Quote:
Track mode + PTM in Race mode = full engine power and no stabiliTrak.

Not just in the manual, that's how it really works. Unfortunately....I know this to be true given a couple of off track excursions in Race mode. It will not reduce power to save you....and there is no TC or StabiliTrak.

I was not aware that you could also get there with double tap in Tour or Sport mode as well. Never use those modes but good to know.
I'm not sure about just using Race mode, but when you activate launch control within Race mode, there is still TC and even SC I think, because if you turn the wheel slip all the way up so it allows the car to spin a bit and you get too sideways during a launch, it will completely kill the power until the car straightens up. I'll have to try Race mode without activating launch control and see if anything happens. I'm curious now.

The double tap only works in Sport mode. Competitive Mode Active will pop up on the dash and the car acts like everything is turned completely off. It will not do it in Tour and of course in Track, it brings up the PTM menu.

Another tidbit about using Sport/Competitive Mode, is that the simple, non adjustable launch control is supposed to be available. Simply stand on the brake really hard and slam the throttle to the floor the same way you activate it in Race mode. I've not tried that yet, so I have 2 things to try now.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Sport 2 still has nannies, just less of them. Race has even less and gives full power according to the manual. If you want to guarantee no intervention, the only way is to hold the TC button for 7 seconds or so in any driving mode, but if you are in Sport mode, double tapping the TC button puts you in Competitive Mode, which acts like everything is off, even though some say stability control is still on. I've tried to get SC to kick on in that mode by power sliding the car to near full steering lock with smoke rolling off the tires and it never cut any power.

If you're not spinning at your power level, then I'd recommend putting it in Sport mode and simply double tapping the TC button. If you want the Track steering feel, go into the settings in the infotainment screen and unlink the steering from drive mode by simply selecting Track. Then the steering will feel the way you like it no matter what driving mode you're in. I keep my exhaust in Track and Suspension in Tour that way.
Comp. mode will not cut power at all. Comp. mode applies individual brakes to control understeer / oversteer only.

It is the old, original system used on the C5 Z06 Corvettes. Keep in mind though that the slower you are going when you slide , the less the system can do to counter the slide, as it is only using individual brakes to counter it and there is not a lot of momentum to correct you. The law of physics apply.

That is what is so great about the system though, very little intervening at lower speeds, yet is fully there when the speeds increase and it is more effective the faster you are going.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #36
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Comp. mode will not cut power at all. Comp. mode applies individual brakes to control understeer / oversteer only.

It is the old, original system used on the C5 Z06 Corvettes. Keep in mind though that the slower you are going when you slide , the less the system can do to counter the slide, as it is only using individual brakes to counter it and there is not a lot of momentum to correct you. The law of physics apply.

That is what is so great about the system though, very little intervening at lower speeds, yet is fully there when the speeds increase and it is more effective the faster you are going.
I did my testing at low speed, so that makes sense. It felt just like it does with everything off. Very cool! If I ever find myself on a really large open paved area sometime I might just pick up the pace and see what happens.

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #37
creed2

Drives: 2018 Garnett Red ZL1
Great thread and information so apparently now I need to go drive in SPORT MODE and DOUBLE CLICK the TC BUTTON... Thanks!!
creed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #38
SuperMarioZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed2 View Post
Great thread and information so apparently now I need to go drive in SPORT MODE and DOUBLE CLICK the TC BUTTON... Thanks!!
I thought only 2-3 people would respond... I've learned alot, glad i asked
SuperMarioZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #39
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Great link!
This thread overall is informative and confusing. Lol
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #40
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
It's been so long since I've had my car in PTM, I can't remember if it cuts power from wheel spin if not using launch control, but it definitely does if you do use launch control. It will also definitely cut power if the car gets too sideways as stability control kicks in.
I tried a hard launch in PTM Race one time, and it aggressively cut power. I thought it would be smooth and allow just as much power as the tires would allow, but it more or less fell on its face. So I haven’t used it since. Maybe I’ll have to mess with it again, but it didn’t work like I was hoping it would.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #41
bomariam1

Drives: 2018 ZL1, Cadillac ATS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I tried a hard launch in PTM Race one time, and it aggressively cut power. I thought it would be smooth and allow just as much power as the tires would allow, but it more or less fell on its face. So I haven’t used it since. Maybe I’ll have to mess with it again, but it didn’t work like I was hoping it would.
You have to adjust the lunch RPM.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
bomariam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #42
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomariam1 View Post
You have to adjust the lunch RPM.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I wasn’t using launch control. And it wasn’t really a launch — It was more of a full throttle roll on in 1st from 5-10 mph.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote