Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Crawco

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL-1
GM Halts Production of ZL1 over Brembo Brake Issues

I have tried to place my order for a new 2021 ZL1 at two dealers in the San Francisco East Bay Area within the last week. Both have told me GM will not accept any orders for ZL1s as there are issues with the Brembo brake pads. The reason is different with each dealer. One told me California outlawed the car because the brake pads emit copper when braking. The other dealer that accepted my order and will hold it until production resumes stated it was a nationwide hold relating to the Brembo brake pads.

Being impatient I found a new ZL1 in southern California that was close to what I wanted. I drove 350 miles with my enclosed car carrier trailer and upon arrival I was told there was a stop sale recall on the engine. They described it as a valve adjustment and flash of the ECM. I can't find any information online about a recall or even a TSB for the LT4 engine. Not knowing the skill level of the mechanic at this dealership I did not want a car that the engine was screwed with that ends up being a lemon law suit. I drove home empty handed.

Are there any Chevrolet people that might know what is going on here?
Crawco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Interesting, I got my 2021 in the first week of Sept, it had a build date of Aug. 23. I removed the stock brake pads immediately though when I got it and replaced them with Carbotech 1521 pads. The only thing I recall about the stock pads was that they had copper paste on the backside of the pads.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
SquirrelyZL1

Drives: ZL1, C63S Coupe
Just called a random dealer in California since all the dealers are closed on the East coast. They have one in stock, ready to go, no stop sale, no problems.

I don’t know what issues you’re encountering, but you definitely had me worried since I have a TPW on one.

Maybe they don’t have any allocations?
SquirrelyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
The only thing I can say is that there are no recent campaigns or TSB's for either of the two scenarios you are being told about.

This does not mean that there isn't "something going on".

The OE pads are Ferodo pads, the "DS Performance" variant (yes, I know the pads say "Brembo HP1000/1" on it). It is believable that there is a level of copper in those pads from looking at them, but I honestly don't know for sure and don't know, if they do have copper, if it is a level on California's radar.

Quote:
This law bans brake pads containing more than trace amounts of heavy metals and asbestos in 2014 and then also bans brake pads containing more than 5 percent copper in 2021. By 2025, the law reduces the amount of copper allowed to almost zero.
https://dtsc.ca.gov/scp/brake-pad-legislation/
January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2020: unstated percentage for copper.
January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2024: cannot be greater than 5% by weight copper.
January 1, 2025+: Cannot be greater than 0.5% by weight copper.

Last edited by Mountain; 11-27-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawco View Post
I have tried to place my order for a new 2021 ZL1 at two dealers in the San Francisco East Bay Area within the last week. Both have told me GM will not accept any orders for ZL1s as there are issues with the Brembo brake pads. The reason is different with each dealer. One told me California outlawed the car because the brake pads emit copper when braking. The other dealer that accepted my order and will hold it until production resumes stated it was a nationwide hold relating to the Brembo brake pads.

Being impatient I found a new ZL1 in southern California that was close to what I wanted. I drove 350 miles with my enclosed car carrier trailer and upon arrival I was told there was a stop sale recall on the engine. They described it as a valve adjustment and flash of the ECM. I can't find any information online about a recall or even a TSB for the LT4 engine. Not knowing the skill level of the mechanic at this dealership I did not want a car that the engine was screwed with that ends up being a lemon law suit. I drove home empty handed.

There have been reports of valve problems:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582121
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Yet another reason that state has to suck to live in.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Well by 2025 or 2030, California is banning new passenger petrol vehicle sales. Then sometime later, banning the sale of new commercial petrol vehicle sales.

California is a strange place and the laws are ridiculous
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
CA is broke and its leadership is living in a dream world driven by climate fear hype (which is 90% religious bluster and 10% verifiable science) - all the while ignoring the real issues such as rising homelessness and street people. It just shows how the delusional, mindless left will make any once beautiful place a shithole. Gavin Newsome is a kool aid drinking moron. I'm all for alternative energy, but oil and gas will always be primary energy sources - period (long road to hydrogen viability).

In any case I think it's highly likely 2022-23 will be the end of the ZL1. Glad I thread the needle between the oil pump failures and this latest valve spring issue.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
Crawco

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL-1
Yes it does. We ask ourselves everyday why we stay. Short answer, the rest of my family is here as well.
Crawco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
CA is broke and its leadership is living in a dream world driven by climate fear hype (which is 90% religious bluster and 10% verifiable science) - all the while ignoring the real issues such as rising homelessness and street people. It just shows how the delusional, mindless left will make any once beautiful place a shithole. Gavin Newsome is a kool aid drinking moron. I'm all for alternative energy, but oil and gas will always be primary energy sources - period (long road to hydrogen viability).

In any case I think it's highly likely 2022-23 will be the end of the ZL1. Glad I thread the needle between the oil pump failures and this latest valve spring issue.
Grew up in So Cal, Glad I was there when it was a great place to live. I'm also glad I seem to have thread the Bad Valve Springs issue. Damn, Pulling the heads here would be a task. Anybody have a spare valve spring clamp (if they still use those). Then again, I guess that would be the perfect excuse to drop the cash for a streetfighter 850 kit, LOL
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawco View Post

It seems to me like you're being fed lines of crap at every turn.

CA does have a law that has been on the books since 2010 requiring the continual decrease of Cu levels in brake "friction" (material). For pads that are SOLD after 1/1/2021, the level of Copper must be below 5%. However, the law EXPLICITLY excludes that material which was manufactured prior to the start of 2021. In other words, it will ONLY restrict the sale of brake materials that contain more than 5% Copper that were manufactured AFTER 1/1/21.

There is no production halt on cars as a result of this law as of right now.

There is also no "stop sale" order in place on the Camaro, the Corvette, or any one of the other multitude of vehicles in the GM fleet equipped with various V8 engines. There was what seems to be an issue with a batch of valve springs supplied to GM that made their way into many different motors, and these springs could fail in a few different ways. There is a TSB out in reference to how to handle the various issues that may arise, but that's it.

Those dealerships can't get cars and are making up BS stories about the low inventory in an attempt to get your money when they can finally get one. The dealer that told you they couldn't sell you the car in their inventory almost certainly had a full MSRP offer on it by the time you got there. Or, the motor failed on them before they could deliver it to a customer (it could have failed when they were going to prep it to sell to you, even) and it needs to be repaired...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #12
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Go buy one from another state.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #13
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
As much as Cali may suck, it was 75 degrees out today here so there’s that.....hahaha
Old 11-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #14
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
As much as Cali may suck, it was 75 degrees out today here so there’s that.....hahaha
It was 70 here in GA today and we don't put up with none of that nonsense in California.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote