Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
Ricco

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert A10
Weapon X Heat exchangers

Anyone running the Weapon X headers exchangers? The concept sounds good, and the price is decent but I don't see a lot of people running them.

One tuner I talked to suggested that substantially thicker cores don't allow the air to pass through as effectively therefore negating any benefit of the additional thickness. In addition, they suggested that the limiting factor is the heat exchanger in the Supercharger so adding these coolers wouldn't be worth much at all.

I had been considering them as I live in Houston and often sit in traffic in 100 degree wether during summer time, as opposed to prolonged track usage.

So, is anyone on here running them? Any thoughts or experiences with them so far?

PS> I searched already and didn't come up with much.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Previous cars in chronological order
2016 GT350, 2014 MEV Rocket, 2013 Nissan Qashqai + 2, 1.6L Diesel, 2010 Nissan Note 1.5L Diesel, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, 2009 Subaru Impreza STI, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 1997 Subaru Impreza Catalunya special Edition, 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti, 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta
Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
RSFR

Drives: ZL1

I see the kit get listed in builds from time to time. More surface area on the heat sink = better heat transfer. You aren't going to get much airflow sitting in traffic regardless.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post

I see the kit get listed in builds from time to time. More surface area on the heat sink = better heat transfer. You aren't going to get much airflow sitting in traffic regardless.
Agreed on the airflow, however I was thinking the additional coolant capacity would be beneficial in that case.

I'm also considering them as a foundational improvement as I may also add a whipple later on.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

2016 GT350, 2014 MEV Rocket, 2013 Nissan Qashqai + 2, 1.6L Diesel, 2010 Nissan Note 1.5L Diesel, 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins, 2009 Subaru Impreza STI, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 2004 Mini Cooper S, 1997 Subaru Impreza Catalunya special Edition, 1992 Daihatsu Charade GTti, 1978 Mk1 Ford Fiesta
Old 12-29-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco View Post
Anyone running the Weapon X headers exchangers? The concept sounds good, and the price is decent but I don't see a lot of people running them.

One tuner I talked to suggested that substantially thicker cores don't allow the air to pass through as effectively therefore negating any benefit of the additional thickness. In addition, they suggested that the limiting factor is the heat exchanger in the Supercharger so adding these coolers wouldn't be worth much at all.

I had been considering them as I live in Houston and often sit in traffic in 100 degree wether during summer time, as opposed to prolonged track usage.

So, is anyone on here running them? Any thoughts or experiences with them so far?

PS> I searched already and didn't come up with much.
Thanks for the interest, my name is Ben and I own WEAPON-X. We're happy to have shops all over the country that order these for both LT4 wet sump cars when upgrading the pulleys or the entire blower as the HX system is the same on the ZL1 as the V3, the great guys down at Vengeance being one of them a you can see the in the above posted video. They mentioned to me that they worked really well, which is the same thing my tuner said the day we first tested them.

Anytime you compress air, heat is a byproduct. So, the harder you spin the already high strung Eaton 1750, or strap on a big boy Whipple pushing 24psi at 920whp on our Mustang dyno heat soak can come on fast but even in stock form, you can throw the ZL1 on the dyno and do three back to back pulls and the power falls off exponentially by the last pull. Simply put, the OEM HX system can't keep up even in OEM form, but this was no different than the LSA ZL1 or CTS V too and while they've improved the cooling on the gen 6 with all of the heat exchangers, you also have to realize that you have trans cooler heat coming through the HX and all of that heat goes through the radiator along with the AC condenser heat. With our larger side HX, more of this heat is exhausted through the wheel wells. The passenger side ties into the radiator and the driver side ties into the center HX system and all of these are taken into account when tuning by the GM calculated MAT value which replaced the true IAT2 sensor from the gen 4 logic. So, this just doesn't benefit the supercharger, but also the engine temps!

Cores being thicker is only an issue if the manufacturer doesn't know what they're doing. It's a balancing act between core thickness, fin density, and the horizontal tubing inside of them. We've increased the core thickness and adjusted the fin density for more free air flow. The total system capacity of the fluid is increased over 150% with the added fluid in the exchange zone, so you have more fluid before getting heat soaked and more fluid in the critical area to shell the heat. It's all a balancing act with fluid speed, BTU capacity, and the external heat put into the system based on the ambient air temp and the rate at which the air is compressed. I can assure you that your car will make more power more consistently with these, even in stock form!

I hope this info helps! They're on sale this month too if you look under the Year End Sale section

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...ts-v-gen-3-lt4

WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Ricco

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Thanks for the interest, my name is Ben and I own WEAPON-X. We're happy to have shops all over the country that order these for both LT4 wet sump cars when upgrading the pulleys or the entire blower as the HX system is the same on the ZL1 as the V3, the great guys down at Vengeance being one of them a you can see the in the above posted video. They mentioned to me that they worked really well, which is the same thing my tuner said the day we first tested them.

Anytime you compress air, heat is a byproduct. So, the harder you spin the already high strung Eaton 1750, or strap on a big boy Whipple pushing 24psi at 920whp on our Mustang dyno heat soak can come on fast but even in stock form, you can throw the ZL1 on the dyno and do three back to back pulls and the power falls off exponentially by the last pull. Simply put, the OEM HX system can't keep up even in OEM form, but this was no different than the LSA ZL1 or CTS V too and while they've improved the cooling on the gen 6 with all of the heat exchangers, you also have to realize that you have trans cooler heat coming through the HX and all of that heat goes through the radiator along with the AC condenser heat. With our larger side HX, more of this heat is exhausted through the wheel wells. The passenger side ties into the radiator and the driver side ties into the center HX system and all of these are taken into account when tuning by the GM calculated MAT value which replaced the true IAT2 sensor from the gen 4 logic. So, this just doesn't benefit the supercharger, but also the engine temps!

Cores being thicker is only an issue if the manufacturer doesn't know what they're doing. It's a balancing act between core thickness, fin density, and the horizontal tubing inside of them. We've increased the core thickness and adjusted the fin density for more free air flow. The total system capacity of the fluid is increased over 150% with the added fluid in the exchange zone, so you have more fluid before getting heat soaked and more fluid in the critical area to shell the heat. It's all a balancing act with fluid speed, BTU capacity, and the external heat put into the system based on the ambient air temp and the rate at which the air is compressed. I can assure you that your car will make more power more consistently with these, even in stock form!

I hope this info helps! They're on sale this month too if you look under the Year End Sale section

https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...ts-v-gen-3-lt4

Ben, I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post, thanks. What you explained makes sense for sure but I was hoping to hear from people with real world experience of this particular product to either confirm or deny their effectiveness. Now at over 200 views on one of the most popular forums out there for this car, still no one has come forward as to running these Hx’s.

I’m not suggesting they don’t work or refuting any of your claims, however the lack of response here suggests that maybe they aren’t needed.. I assume most people are addressing the heat/iats with e85/meth - the cost of these certainly shouldn’t be putting people off either judging by the amount of money people are throwing at these cars.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Old 12-29-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post

Ben,

Crazy question, has anyone tested these on a road course? I like to go out to Circuit of the Americas and the like and was wondering how this system would hold up there.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
Harry76

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
I have the Weapon X heat exchangers on my car, but they were installed in October and haven't seen any warm weather yet so I can't give much input at this time.
Harry76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSFR View Post
Ben,

Crazy question, has anyone tested these on a road course? I like to go out to Circuit of the Americas and the like and was wondering how this system would hold up there.
Yes we've absolutely had these on road course cars like Mid Ohio and COTA. There is no tuning required to even put these on a stock LT4; however, if tuned with the OEM heat exchangers, a tuner could optimize the MAT spark map for more timing if it was previously tuned with the OEM heat exchangers. Again, it's not that you can't upgrade the pulleys without this, but you don't know what you're leaving on the table with them either.

When tuning, you basically advance the spark until you see KR and then back it down some for safety, then verified on the street to ensure the high pressure pump holds also. A lot of tuners have made the mistake of tuning on the dyno and even with our Mustang, we can see rail pressure drop on the street, when it was holding on the dyno. This lack of rail pressure can also cause knock, but if the rail is fine then the next issue is temperature. The cooler the charge, the more timing it can take, and the further into the MAT map it can go. That is why your car feels stronger on cold mornings/days and you run your best times when the DA is low. The HX system cannot affect the DA, but it can affect the air temps entering the cylinder.

So, with 150% more fluid in your system, the car will keep cooler temps and run faster at COTA I'll put my money where my mouth is with a money back refund guarantee all other things equal!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
Ricco

Well despite the lack of response here, I couldn't resist them being on sale so I've placed my order. We'll see next year how well they work.
2005 STI
2001 2.5 RS

Old 12-30-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
scooter k

Drives: ex-wife's car
Quote:
Well despite the lack of response here, I couldn't resist them being on sale so I've placed my order. We'll see next year how well they work.
Did you just get the three or the whole kit with trunk mount reservoir?
scooter k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but did I read correctly that you don't intend to track, or at least not too often anyway?

You mention sitting in Houston traffic specifically.

I don't recall reading any instance of heating issues in traffic. That would be pretty laughable on GMs part to fail the daily driving test.

Track use heating issues also seems fairly limited if at all as well. So that makes me curious, why the interest in these? If my thought process is on track, could explain the lack of responses you were after.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #12
FASTNUF

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 White Vert
Believe his main concern was our ridiculous Houston rush hour traffic in the dead of summer temps and how that affects the car temps, Ricco, correct me if I misunderstood. Car is a convertible, so track time without a roll bar would be little to none...

From my own experience - I bought my car up in Grapevine back at the end of June 17 and got stuck in Ft Worth rush hour traffic during a 98 degree day driving back. Had a lot of stop & go and I was worried being a brand new car with very little miles what was going to happen since my 2016 Z06 trade hated rush hour traffic / summer temps. I was pleasantly surprised that while my 16Z oil & water temps would creep up higher & higher during stop & go traffic (oil temp reaching 245F+ alone), the new ZL1 did not budge much above 200F on oil temp (the needle was in the middle between 200F mark & next small tick mark) & water temp stayed below the 210F mark. The few times that I have pushed the car hard, it the temps just seem to stay lots lower than my 16Z. I guess the 2 extra coolers helped.

Needless to say that I'm extremely happy with the Camaro design team and how they figured out how not to repeat the C7 Z06 heating issues on this car! One main reason I got rid of my 16Z.

Ricco, curious to see the difference once summer hits around here on what the new coolers do for you. If you did buy the remote trunk tank, please post pictures on the final mounting location, especially since our trunks are so small. Did you also buy the 160F t-stat?

WeaponX does have good stuff, no doubt.
FASTNUF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Got it! You'll be happy with the outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTNUF View Post
Believe his main concern was our ridiculous Houston rush hour traffic in the dead of summer temps and how that affects the car temps, Ricco, correct me if I misunderstood. Car is a convertible, so track time without a roll bar would be little to none...

Ricco, curious to see the difference once summer hits around here on what the new coolers do for you. If you did buy the remote trunk tank, please post pictures on the final mounting location, especially since our trunks are so small. Did you also buy the 160F t-stat?

WeaponX does have good stuff, no doubt.
Our Stealth trunk tank goes right under the hatch floor and there are brackets to relocate the electronics under there to the sides so that well is free like the ATS V and CTS V3. It's odd that Chevy put them under there when Cadillac located them on the sides and the trunk is identical back there.

Holds 6 gallons and when the mat and trunk floor are down, it's invisible. This was the first tank we put in which was raw:

Finished product:

Here is what the Camaro ZL1 trunk well looks like, we put the Alky meth pumps down there and elegantly tuck our 4 gallon trunk tank and custom bracket on the side... turns out clean!

My ZL1: Here is what it looks like with the control modules relocated up to the sides, no harness extensions or anything... just a couple of OEM brackets! This was before we cut the floor out to make room for the Compound Boost OEM blower/94mm turbo setup in my build thread

Old 12-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #14
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
What about a pump upgrade to increase flow along with the XXX HE upgrade? Varimax??

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote