Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #29
Marotrent

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The purpose of VVT is a flat torque curve. This translates into lower e.t. at the strip, and better performance at real world speeds on the road.

That's why more and more cars have VVT. Soon, non-VVT cars will not even exist.
So VVT basically adds the torque that a manual would give you?
Marotrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #30
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I hate giving suggestions to these types of questions because its a personal issue that only you can answer correctly. There is no right or wrong answer. If you are asking me, then if I truly liked my car (with no glaring issues) I'd keep it. I like keeping a good car mint where it maintains its looks and performance indefinitely. When I do this, I won't feel most of the symptoms of being upstaged by later versions.

Beware, however, as there is such a thing as "New Car Fever", and one ill advised or unplanned trip to a dealer can upset your plans. Just make up your mind to what you want to do and stick with it.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #31
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I mean... this is a 5th gen specific forum, so you are going to have everyone push to a 5th gen.

Go test drive the 6th and see if you like it. They are nice cars, but I do prefer the size and styling of my earlier 5th gen (probably because I own a 68).

I'm also a little hesitant to jump into a DI engine again. Had issues with my LFX Camaro when I owned it, and wanted to "downgrade" technology and get back into a tried-and-true pushrod V8.

I'd say wait out for the 7th Gen. With the new Corvette slated to come out soon, and ending the FR layout, the 7th gen Camaro might be insane.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #32
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Op sit back and do what I do stare at your car haha....appreciate the styling of the your 5th gen. Outside the 6th gen forums most don't even know theres a 6th gen. But everybody on the planet knows the 5th gen when going down the road.....this never gets old.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1555509791
Attached Images

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #33
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
IMHO your current car is the perfect candidate for customizing and making it "you". When you have a new car you worry about voiding warranties etc. With this one you can play and definitely make it a lot faster than a stock gen 6.
Benman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #34
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotrent View Post
Because the engine can vary the timing in different RPM ranges it improves the performance across a broader RPM range. The stock L99 has a broader and I would say more usable torque curve than even the mighty LS3. And it only gets better with those aftermarket cams. GPI or Texas Speed seemed to be the go to's for these cams FYI. Have a search in the bolton section here lots of good info there.

I have no plans to mod my car but if I did I would go that route in a minute.

Last edited by qcman; 04-17-2019 at 01:39 PM.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #35
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I mean... this is a 5th gen specific forum, so you are going to have everyone push to a 5th gen.

Go test drive the 6th and see if you like it. They are nice cars, but I do prefer the size and styling of my earlier 5th gen (probably because I own a 68).

I'm also a little hesitant to jump into a DI engine again. Had issues with my LFX Camaro when I owned it, and wanted to "downgrade" technology and get back into a tried-and-true pushrod V8.

I'd say wait out for the 7th Gen. With the new Corvette slated to come out soon, and ending the FR layout, the 7th gen Camaro might be insane.
Obviously it’s all speculation still as the new vette finally got its release date but I’ve read in several places that gm is planning to use the 7th gen Camaro to fill the void left by the front engine vette. If this is the case I’m sure it will be an amazing performance car. Especially if it gets any of the engines slated for the new vette. 1,000 hp twin turbos is going to be crazy in the mid engine vette. I just hope they can pull the styling off better than they have the current Camaro.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #36
dadsz28

Drives: 5th gen pending
Wow this is a great thread! I have been contemplating the same question...i just bought my 5th gen in june and luv it it is all stock and only has 10,000 miles on it...l99. I recently drove a beautiful 2018 hyper blue 2ss with white stripes leftover that has been sitting on the dealers lot since last may, and discounted pretty well, but for the extra money and 6th gen issues i have been reading about kinda of doesn't make it worthwile.

So my question is i guess is to mod my 5th gen and even if i put 10 grand into it i would still be almost 10 grand cheaper then buying a 40,000 car! And for that much money investing i should have no problem being close to running high 10's? I would take that in a heartbeat! Original poster let us know what you do.
dadsz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #37
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
But a cheap used Prius to daily drive, then modify the crap out of your 5th gen and not have to worry about the car being down for too long while you do mods.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #38
Marotrent

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
But a cheap used Prius to daily drive, then modify the crap out of your 5th gen and not have to worry about the car being down for too long while you do mods.
I have a 2014 Impala that I use as a daily driver right now. Its a FWD V6 that pretty good on gas
Marotrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #39
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
If you really have the car set up the way you want it and it’s paid for, I would keep it. You can always add horsepower but you’ll always be chasing the latest and greatest anyway, no matter what you have. I got rid of my beloved 4th gen that I spent a few years getting just right because I got walked on by a 5th gen. I could have spent a few grand getting it worked on to make it “competitive” with newer cars but it was suggested i just upgrade to a 5th gen. Now I have a car note, plus I’m going to have to spend money setting it up how I want it AND it’s slower than several 5th Gens, let alone a 6th gen.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #40
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotrent View Post
The L99 has a flatter torque curve. You need to familiarize yourself with the physics of torque and horsepower.

Horsepower is torque x rotational speed. At any given RPM, the engine with the higher torque is producing more horsepower. The L99 produces more horsepower except at a high rpm peak that is rarely attained on the street, and only briefly at the top end of the drag strip. By then it's too late to win.

As you race down the track, the engine that produces more hp over a great length of time generates more kinetic energy, that is, more terminal velocity. Hence, it L99 arrives at the finish line FIRST. If you race a stock automatic Camaro against a stock manual, the auto will take the lead, and then the manual will begin to close the gap, but not in time. to win. At the strip, the flat torque curve has the advantage because it spends more time adding more kinetic energy to the vehicle.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #41
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The L99 has a flatter torque curve. You need to familiarize yourself with the physics of torque and horsepower.

Horsepower is torque x rotational speed. At any given RPM, the engine with the higher torque is producing more horsepower. The L99 produces more horsepower except at a high rpm peak that is rarely attained on the street, and only briefly at the top end of the drag strip. By then it's too late to win.

As you race down the track, the engine that produces more hp over a great length of time generates more kinetic energy, that is, more terminal velocity. Hence, it L99 arrives at the finish line FIRST. If you race a stock automatic Camaro against a stock manual, the auto will take the lead, and then the manual will begin to close the gap, but not in time. to win. At the strip, the flat torque curve has the advantage because it spends more time adding more kinetic energy to the vehicle.
Not according to Chevrolet's official figures.
The L99 has more aggressive gearing but the closer ratios on the LS3 also keep it more in the power-band, never dropping below 4500 when upshifting.
it's also an advantage of the stick launching at a much higher engine speed than the torque converter as well as one less shift.