Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
random155

Drives: None Yet
Why did you buy your Camaro?

I'm curious about what made you buy your camaro? My story is: I'm a car enthusiast, always have been always will be. My family loves cars and we do a lot of our own work on them. Grew up with a 68 GT350 in the family, 69 Mach 1, 68 Z28, among other vehicles. So here I am, 38 years old with wife and 2 young kids. Loving life, but would really like a "fun" car. I have one leased vehicle and one paid off truck. I can afford another car payment but every time I get close to closing a deal, I back out because I feel selfish for spending this much money on myself. I feel like I will regret the purchase down the road. I currently have a small loan for a pool I put in the for the family 2 years ago, but other than that and a mortgage thats all my debt. So what made you get your camaro? Daily driver, weekend fun, any other? Let me know, Im actually very interested to hear your story.
random155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I bought my SS 1LE specifically for its track prowess. Like you, I've always been an enthusiast. I started off with drag racing any clunker I had, then got faster cars, built a really fast car, but drag racing became boring even when running 10s. Then discovered HPDE track days and was fully hooked.

I've had a wide variety of cars, from a Focus RS to an M3, but the SS 1LE is the car I've enjoyed most. I can take it to a race track and overtake nearly anything else on the track below $75K, with no fear of it breaking or overheating, and still has a warranty if it does. This is the first car I've owned and never felt the urge to modify simply because it's so good on a road course.

I daily drive it and track it. It's comfortable and capable. I've never cared about Camaros (or Mustangs) before the 6th gen 1LE package came out and after a lot of test drives the 1LE won out over a 981 Cayman S and F82 M4. For perspective, I'm a married 33 year old with a baby coming in the near future. My wife's CUV will be the baby hauler, and buying the Camaro almost seems like a responsible choice (ha!) when considering what I used to do with cars (drop lots of money on modifications, repairs when drag racing broke something, street racing like an idiot). Now, track days, brakes, tires, and fluids are much cheaper and safer than what I did in my dumb 20s.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
My brother-in-law opened a used car lot when I was 6. He had a blue IROC-Z that I thought was the coolest car in the world, decided I would own a Camaro someday, spent all of my childhood and teens researching and talking about them, then when I graduated college saved every penny I earned until I could afford a used one (at the time it was a 2000 Z28, 6sp, t-tops with 30k miles). Daily drove that for 7 years, then traded it in on my 16 SS. Would love to always drive Camaros - with a growing family, who knows, but for now it works!
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
It was hands down the best bang for the buck performance wise. Also, it looks so mean and aggressive I couldn't pass it up for $40K. I wanted to get out of my mundane Golf R and in to something that I guess kind of scared me a little with the power it has. I have never once regretted my decision.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i always had and been into chevys had a few other models 92 camaro , 94 cavalier, 09 cobalt ss and wanted a 5th gen camaro but couldnt afford a v8 ss so i saved up paid off my cobalt ss and got a 16 1ss after i saw them in person SEMA 2015.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
441bertre

Drives: 1998 SS, 2018 1LE
To tell what made me get my '18 1LE I would have to tell the story how I got into my '98 SS.

I've always been into cars since a young age, my mom jokes that I was born with a Matchbox car in my hand. My dad taught me through his 1982 Toyota Supra that driving a manual transmission and around curves is way more fun than a straight line would ever be. After high school I was at a crossroads with my life and decided to start as an technician apprentice at the Chevrolet dealership down the street from where I live. All the certified technicians would drive their "toys" in on the Saturdays it was their turn to work so after hearing 'cammed' LS engines I was hooked. One of the technicians I use to work with posted on Instagram he was thinking about selling his 4th gen SS that I knew had some work so I jumped on the opportunity. All the modifications I would want to do were already done, all it needed was some minor TLC so it was perfect for me at the time. I'm happy with it but it doesn't fill the void of driving a manual transmission and cornering well.

One afternoon I went to the dealership where I use to work to talk with a friend of mine and I heard the light rumble of a V8 in the distance about to pull into the shop. I turned around and saw a black '18 1LE being pulled in and it was love at first sight. I knew right there I wanted one. I sat on the idea for four months and pulled the plug on this silver 1LE in October. In the 600mi I've driven it I have thoroughly enjoyed it. My friends and family get into and can't believe it is only a 1SS option package.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
dohvb1

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Growing up in Michigan, was always a car guy but couldn't justify getting a sports car like the Camaro with winters up there. Before people start telling me how you can drive a Camaro in the winter, most White Castles are open 24 hours so you can eat there 3 times a day everyday. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's wise to do so. Besides I had way too much fun in my WRX and Vehicross in the winter.
Anyway down south where winter doesn't came very often(although the car hasn't left the garage in a week cuz of the snow we got) I wanted to get a loud, fast V-8 before they disappear. The Camaro was about the only thing I wanted. Well that and the F-Type but it was a little out of my price. I was upset Orange wasn't a color choice. So I had planned on getting an Orange Matte wrap. The Hot Wheels came out and it was perfect.
dohvb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
DexterBerkeley

Drives: 2019 2SS Coupe, 2019 LR Disco
A few reasons. Main drivers were:
  • Wanted to scratch my V8 itch, I'd hadn't ever had one
  • Ideally wanted that V8 to be naturally aspirated
  • Something engaging to drive, has to provide feel and go round corners
  • I'm an immigrant, so a Camaro or a Mustang has a certain appeal
  • Something I can track

The big decision point was do I find a daily that can do the above or keep my SUV and get a weekend toy. The one do-it-all car I could find was a Merc E63 Wagon. I drove that a Camaro SS back to back on the same day. The Merc was a more accomplished piece of engineering, but really you pointed it where you wanted to go, hit the noisy pedal and then get a speeding ticket. There was nothing like the same amount of fun as the Camaro so I ordered one a few weeks later for a 2 car solution. Also I could get a new SS to the exact spec I wanted, the E63 was a stretch to get a 3 year old ex-lease.

To address the justification, I'm the same age as you, mortgage and a mostly cleared loan on my wife's car. I looked at the numbers for months and realized that the money is there, I could do it without hitting our savings and just decided to screw it and treat myself. Looking out for family is a priority, but the way I see it, if you can it's important to treat yourself sometimes, you only get one life so make sure you enjoy it.
DexterBerkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle

This is me and my Dad, Easter 1977. I'm about 15 months old. My Dad loved this '69 Camaro and even though I have no memory of it, he was always into cars and Camaros and he passed that along to me. My first Camaro was a 1987 IROC that I bought in 1994 when I was 18. I've had a total of 12 Camaros and Firebirds over the years since then.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
random155

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterBerkeley View Post
A few reasons. Main drivers were:
  • Wanted to scratch my V8 itch, I'd hadn't ever had one
  • Ideally wanted that V8 to be naturally aspirated
  • Something engaging to drive, has to provide feel and go round corners
  • I'm an immigrant, so a Camaro or a Mustang has a certain appeal
  • Something I can track

The big decision point was do I find a daily that can do the above or keep my SUV and get a weekend toy. The one do-it-all car I could find was a Merc E63 Wagon. I drove that a Camaro SS back to back on the same day. The Merc was a more accomplished piece of engineering, but really you pointed it where you wanted to go, hit the noisy pedal and then get a speeding ticket. There was nothing like the same amount of fun as the Camaro so I ordered one a few weeks later for a 2 car solution. Also I could get a new SS to the exact spec I wanted, the E63 was a stretch to get a 3 year old ex-lease.

To address the justification, I'm the same age as you, mortgage and a mostly cleared loan on my wife's car. I looked at the numbers for months and realized that the money is there, I could do it without hitting our savings and just decided to screw it and treat myself. Looking out for family is a priority, but the way I see it, if you can it's important to treat yourself sometimes, you only get one life so make sure you enjoy it.
This is what I'm talking about, thank you.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
random155

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post

This is me and my Dad, Easter 1977. I'm about 15 months old. My Dad loved this '69 Camaro and even though I have no memory of it, he was always into cars and Camaros and he passed that along to me. My first Camaro was a 1987 IROC that I bought in 1994 when I was 18. I've had a total of 12 Camaros and Firebirds over the years since then.
Great picture.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I was not interested in getting a new car when I got into the 6th Camaros. I had a 2012 Mustang GT that I was happy with, but couldn't decide what direction to take the car - I wanted more performance, but didn't want to dump money into a new car to get there.

Heard a lot about the new Camaro, test drove some, read the reviews and decided to jump into one.

My decision was purely based mostly off the performance, but also the amenities and looks. The 5th Gen never stuck me - too blocky, too heavy, and a little too big.

I started off with a 1SS, but as I got more acquainted with the car, I could see myself modifying it. Since I didn't want to spend time modifying a new car, rather spending that time on track, I decided to go for a 1LE if I could find the right one.

The SS 1LE has quickly become one of my favorite cars and, you know what, I have little inclination to change anything with the car.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #13
LD18SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I was in a 14 high country but was ready to get back into a muscle car, test drove it and that's all it took lol.
LD18SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
Alex74

Drives: 2018 NFG SS 1LE
Simple:

Take one mid-life crisis.

Add a little disposable income and a tea-spoon of agreement from the wife that I'd earned the right to burn some money.

Add 2x cups of my kids laughing their backsides off on the test drive.

Sprinkle with a dash of the Mustang PP1 that was good (great noise), but just didn't steer as well.

Mix in used BMW's M's that were really nice but left me cold (still not sure why).

stir in a used Cayman S that was wonderful but I needed a backseat (no matter how woeful).

Allow to rest while test driving a few other contenders.

Bake with Camaro6 for several days/weeks of research to really read about owners experiences / potential issues.

Serve it up everyday for a thoroughly rewarding driving experience.
Every. Single. Drive.

I bloody love this car.
Alex74 is offline   Reply With Quote