Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #197
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
This is a competitive disadvantage for the United States versus most of Western Europe. In many EU countries, college is free (Germany, Finland, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, etc.) or inexpensive (~$200 semester - France). These costs are for any EU student going to any state university in any EU country. I see this as an investment in the future versus our mortgaging the futures of college students.
But not every student is deemed college material in those countries.

The problem in the US in my opinion is that more students are entering the system than should. Student loans are given to kids whose merits don't justify a $80k financial loan risk. Past academic achievement, combined with job prospects for the desired degree should factor into who gets loans

Tuition costs driven up by easy money given to some who's post college economic prospects make them a poor risk for that debt level. A government created problem, like the housing situation in the 2000s

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #198
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

The problem in the US in my opinion is that more students are entering the system than should. Student loans are given to kids whose merits don't justify a $80k financial loan risk. Past academic achievement, combined with job prospects for the desired degree should factor into who gets loans

Tuition costs driven up by easy money given to some who's post college economic prospects make them a poor risk for that debt level. A government created problem, like the housing situation in the 2000s

Not to travel any further into this other than to state that you may need to check your facts on your entire statement.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #199
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
This is a competitive disadvantage for the United States versus most of Western Europe. In many EU countries, college is free (Germany, Finland, Ireland, Denmark, Austria, etc.) or inexpensive (~$200 semester - France). These costs are for any EU student going to any state university in any EU country. I see this as an investment in the future versus our mortgaging the futures of college students.
Except, you can't look at those costs in a vacuum. Consider the overall cost of living and tax burden including income taxes, VAT, fuel taxes, etc., etc., and the view begins to change.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #200
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Trucking will go autonomous first and in a big way. $$$$

I have less faith in public transit. Our fool mayor just put in a fixed light rail trolly that serves no one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Agreed on public transit and delivery/trucking.

What gets lost in translation is the massive job losses due to not needed drivers. That is a ton of money removed from the economy.
I don't see trucking going autonomous, maybe long haul OTR stuff but deliveries in industrial parks, cities, you need a human driver for that. especially in areas effected by weather.

Quote:

Without dereailing this thread to much more, the problem is people my age (31 and younger) were told you have to go college you have to go to college it's the only way you will get a good job. IMO the problem is not only what you said, but also the fact that there are so many useless majors. I have a buddy who went to college for 6 years, got a degree in general studies or some shit like that, he drives an armoured car for a living and still lives at home. Another buddy went to work right out of highschool, got in the union and is now a 150 crane operator. Just bought a 4 bedroom house. College is not for everyone
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #201
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Not to travel any further into this other than to state that you may need to check your facts on your entire statement.

I spend a bit of time in Germany and have discussed this with friends. A student’s options start to focus them at a young age. Not every student can attended university.
Quote:
German School System

...Children aged three to six, may attend kindergarten. After that, school is compulsory for nine or ten years. From grades 1 through 4 children attend elementary school (Grundschule), where the subjects taught are the same for all. Then, after the 4th grade, they are separated according to their academic ability and the wishes of their families, and attend one of three different kinds of schools: Hauptschule, Realschule or Gymnasium. Grundschule teachers recommend their students to a particular school based on such things as academic achievement, self-confidence and ability to work independently. However, in most states, parents have the final say as to which school their child attends following the fourth grade.

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/germanschools.html
I found this article to support what I was trying to express. Cheap, easy, government student loans are driving up tuition. Often leading to degrees that don’t support the debt taken to get there.
Quote:
Where student loan debt is a real problem
By Jeffrey J. Selingo
January 5, 2018

...Many students pursue a master’s degree to further their career prospects, and especially their earnings. But a separate report to be released Sunday by the American Enterprise Institute finds that the payoff from master’s degrees varies greatly, based on field of study, and often isn’t understood by prospective students who lack salary data typically associated with earning a bachelor’s degree over a high school diploma. Using new data from three states — Colorado, Florida and Texas — the study found that master’s degree graduates in fields such as philosophy, art and early-childhood education have the lowest median earnings, often less than graduates with bachelor’s or even associate degrees, who go into other fields.

As more and more students pay ever-increasing tuition and borrow more and more money to pay for their studies, it’s remarkable how little information we have about the wage outcomes associated with different programs,” said Mark Schneider, vice president of the American Institutes for Research and one of the authors of the report. “This kind of information is essential for students to have before they enroll and before they borrow tens of thousands of dollars to pay for a degree that is not highly rewarded in the labor market.”
Name:  62E4C6C2-D977-4391-8FF9-75C59E537D63.jpeg
Views: 330
Size:  56.7 KB
One reason graduate school debt has grown is that students have nearly unlimited borrowing capability from federal programs — with few credit checks or examinations of ability to repay, which are required for most other consumer loans. Knowing that, schools have continued to push their tuition up.

While undergraduates don’t need to go through a credit check or supply documentation that they can pay back loans, they do face limits in what they can borrow from the federal government — $57,500 over four years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5e802b0302b3

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/l...d-unsubsidized

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #202
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD

Saw this and thought this was interesting.

My my my....Why this certainly is News to me.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #203
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
After seeing the debacle of that ugly facelift on the 6th Gen, I can see why there's a shake-up in the design team.

All of them should have been fired.
Attached Images

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #204
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
After seeing the debacle of that ugly facelift on the 6th Gen, I can see why there's a shake-up in the design team.

All of them should have been fired.
What shake up in the design team? I've only seen the announcement of Al moving but nothing on changes in the design team.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #205
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Al to Depart Camaro for Electric Division

Al is leaving

link: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD

Mark Dickens will replace him. Is this the next Z/28 behind Mark? Article says last variant of this generation has been launched - so that would say no Z/28 - but what a way to arrive for Mark if he released a new Z/28!
Attached Images

Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #206
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
How to be a Debbie Downer, but there have been multiple threads on this board that have already discussed this topic at great length...
Old 12-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #207
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
Al is leaving

link: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD

Mark Dickens will replace him. Is this the next Z/28 behind Mark? Article says last variant of this generation has been launched - so that would say no Z/28 - but what a way to arrive for Mark if he released a new Z/28!
thats the Copo 2019... look at the Drag Tires
Old 12-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #208
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...socialflowFBCD

Saw this and thought this was interesting.

HE is!!!???
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #209
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Thank you Al, and Merry Christmas. I love my Camaro. Best car I have ever owned, and that includes a gaggle of early Camaros.
I hope you build in an exterior audio system to give those electric motors a track mode growl! I can’t wait to see what your team creates!
Happy New Year
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #210
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
Last August, Scott Settlemire (fbodfather) said that GM is working on the 7th and 8th. gens of the Camaro.

Although, as we have seen, that can change on a dime. Remember not too long ago GM said they were committed to Sedans ?

Wonder if anybody can reach out to Scott to get an update?
Hi all! Did a search of "fbodfather" on this site and just read thru the entire thread.

I've been retired for over three years, so I have not been in product planning meetings since before my retirement. So -- I may be as clueless as some of you.........but I do know this: Up until recently, all vehicle lines at GM were working two generations out because of EPA CAFE standards --

Now -- I've communicated with Al O. and he's very well thought-of by Barra and Reuss and company --

As to the future of Camaro? An educated guess is to "keep the faith" -- just as I told you starting in 2002.............