Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Jmetc89

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
System upgrade almost complete!

So decided to upgrade my sound system. I liked the Bose but wasn't enough bass or clarity for me. It's a 2 day project but so far I have a 10 inch JL sub, Rockford Fosgate amp and dynomat in the trunk and rear fenders. Tomorrow will be replacing all the speakers with Infinitys. It already sounds 100% better but cannot wait for the finished project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmetc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
Jmetc89

Forgot to mention a lc8 processor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jmetc89; 04-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #3
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Is that a 10W3? - I'm partial to JL subs myself as I had two 10w1's in my F150 years ago... getting the gen6 has inspired me to 'upgrade' the stock sound system.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #4
Jmetc89

12w3 =]
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #5
tecboy

what source did you use for the LC8 input? You mentioned replacing the speakers...are you using the bose amp to power them or ??? I wanted to upgrade mine...at least put a sub in...but after finding the Bose amp has a MOST input that cant be converted to RCA/speaker level to connect to aftermarket amp.....i hit a wall with upgrading the remainder of the system....
Old 04-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #6
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
what source did you use for the LC8 input? You mentioned replacing the speakers...are you using the bose amp to power them or ??? I wanted to upgrade mine...at least put a sub in...but after finding the Bose amp has a MOST input that cant be converted to RCA/speaker level to connect to aftermarket amp.....i hit a wall with upgrading the remainder of the system....
I'm curious about this as well, since removing the factory head unit is really not an option with this car.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Looking good.

From what I have been checking out on my car and have pretty much concluded is the green plug on the factory amp is where you are pulling the audio for your processor. Also the same plug contains the speaker wires. You re-using or running new?

I have the schematic for the output. Any chance you know the inputs?
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
I used to be a huge DBL guy was running two 13w7s. Now I just want something that sounds good but doesn't shake my car apart. This looks like about what I would do. Are you doing this yourself or having a shop do it?
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
Jmetc89

I'm having a professional shop do it. I'll ask the owner for you guys and post what he says =]
Old 04-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmetc89 View Post
I'm having a professional shop do it. I'll ask the owner for you guys and post what he says =]
What are they doing about the ANC signal? Apparently it is fed to all the bass speakers, which I presume means the 6x9's, doors, and possibly the 4" speakers in the rear sides.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
Jmetc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
Hey tecboy I talked to my installer for you and I'll try to explain what he said. He said they took the output from the Bose amp and fed it into the LC8 processor so that a full range signal can be produced. They're then feeding the LC8 into the aftermarket amp. I'm not a sound guy so I don't know if that helps =\ if you have any questions let me know and I'll ask my installer for you =]
Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Jmetc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
What are they doing about the ANC signal? Apparently it is fed to all the bass speakers, which I presume means the 6x9's, doors, and possibly the 4" speakers in the rear sides.
The microphone cables were clipped on the x3 connector on the Bose amp. I know some people were unplugging the entire thing which caused a lot of issues. No issues so far by just clipping them.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Jmetc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Is that a 10W3? - I'm partial to JL subs myself as I had two 10w1's in my F150 years ago... getting the gen6 has inspired me to 'upgrade' the stock sound system.
Definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion. All the bass is in the doors/rear with the Bose. My installer was saying that the way it's setup he wouldn't be surprised if the speakers blew within a year or two.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmetc89 View Post
He said they took the output from the Bose amp and fed it into the LC8 processor so that a full range signal can be produced. They're then feeding the LC8 into the aftermarket amp. I'm not a sound guy so I don't know if that helps =\ if you have any questions let me know and I'll ask my installer for you =]
here is the manual for the LC8:
http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima...61/161LC8G.PDF

It basically takes speaker level signals and converts them to line level. There is signal summing option for certain channels. You can adjust output levels so summed channels don't clip. The LC8 output feeds your aftermarket amp.

The advantage is you can then replace speakers as you see fit. Put full range coaxial or triaxials in all the big openings. You can go to 4 ohm impedance. The choice is yours.

One disadvantage is you are stuck with the signal pre-equalized for the Bose drivers. And the system has been tuned to work with the Bose drivers, as one of our members has pointed out. That may be fine if it passes the "sounds good" test and you are happy with that. Otherwise you need an EQ stage, some audio test tones, and an SPL meter. That is if you want to get back to "flat" response.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote