Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #8345
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile Slightly longer term update- LED reverse lights

So far absolutely no problems with the LED backup lights and load resistors I added.
My car sat in the garage for about a week and a half without being started (sadly)
The battery voltage only dropped about 0.06 volts over that time period.
And then it started right up with no problems.

That amount of loss seems about normal for my car over such a period of time.
So the 6 ohm load resistors appear to have satisfied the CAN bus light monitor logic.
Also, I added LED side marker lights a couple of weeks ago and even with them installed it is just fine.

I am very happy with both additions to my Camaro.
I have already done the same to the Cruze (also very happy) and soon will add them to my wife's truck (parts on order).

Yeah I know, I am just getting bored with the stay at home, work at home stuff...
Old 05-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #8346
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
So far absolutely no problems with the LED backup lights and load resistors I added.
My car sat in the garage for about a week and a half without being started (sadly)
The battery voltage only dropped about 0.06 volts over that time period.
And then it started right up with no problems.

That amount of loss seems about normal for my car over such a period of time.
So the 6 ohm load resistors appear to have satisfied the CAN bus light monitor logic.
Also, I added LED side marker lights a couple of weeks ago and even with them installed it is just fine.

I am very happy with both additions to my Camaro.
I have already done the same to the Cruze (also very happy) and soon will add them to my wife's truck (parts on order).

Yeah I know, I am just getting bored with the stay at home, work at home stuff...

pre 2019 camaros have a fairly simple reverse light wiring setup. You dont need a load resistor on the reverse lights. You need a parallel resistor though or the reverse switch that turns them on and off will leak enough power to turn on many led bulbs ...leading to an always on dim reverse light or flickering when they should be off. You can make do with a single high ohm resistor in parallel with either reverse bulb. Something like 10Kohm or so should do but you may need to go down to 1Kohm.. quarter watt resistor should be fine. Not a lot of current needs to be used to drop the leaked power low enough so that the current can't trigger the LED bulbs.

Using a load resistor on the reverse lights is going to work, but it's inefficient. A higher ohm resistor will last longer and cause less wasted power and do the same job. You can safely guess and check starting with high ohm 1/4 watt (standard) resistors like 100kohm and working down to 1Kohm before having to worry about anything close to load resistor wattages.

led blinkers need load resistors due to the stupidly programmed bcm module that controls them. One for each side. The reverse light doesn't have a BCM programmed trigger for low current usage.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #8347
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Thanks, but some research I did indicated that a lower value was needed, in the range of 680 ohms due to the typical high side driver chips that are used.

Also, I did try installing them without the load resistors (because I didn't want to drill mounting holes) and they did in fact stay dimly on.
So even on a 2017 it is a problem.

The only reason for the 6 ohm resistance value is that they are what came with the harnesses I bought.
I actually had no idea what value they would be when I bought them but wanted the connectors and wiring.
They are indeed intended for turn signal usage but work just fine for the brief times that the reverse lights are on.
So although not efficient, they work OK.

Last edited by DIYguy; 05-08-2020 at 02:23 PM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:50 PM   #8348
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
I ordered a set of TSP 2” headers with X-pipe today & about to order a flex fuel kit... too bad the woman is working from home so I can’t hide any purchases. Haha
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #8349
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
pre 2019 camaros have a fairly simple reverse light wiring setup. You dont need a load resistor on the reverse lights. You need a parallel resistor though or the reverse switch that turns them on and off will leak enough power to turn on many led bulbs ...leading to an always on dim reverse light or flickering when they should be off. You can make do with a single high ohm resistor in parallel with either reverse bulb. Something like 10Kohm or so should do but you may need to go down to 1Kohm.. quarter watt resistor should be fine. Not a lot of current needs to be used to drop the leaked power low enough so that the current can't trigger the LED bulbs.

Using a load resistor on the reverse lights is going to work, but it's inefficient. A higher ohm resistor will last longer and cause less wasted power and do the same job. You can safely guess and check starting with high ohm 1/4 watt (standard) resistors like 100kohm and working down to 1Kohm before having to worry about anything close to load resistor wattages.

led blinkers need load resistors due to the stupidly programmed bcm module that controls them. One for each side. The reverse light doesn't have a BCM programmed trigger for low current usage.
I installed reverse LEDs on my 17 using 1.4k ohm resistors in parallel. I found that my battery was being drained to the point of reading 4 volts after sitting a few weeks. I had it at the dealer for the free oil change and asked them to check it and they couldn't find any drain, but said they would need to put it in a recording meter for a day to see what was waking the BCM. I took it home, put the OEM bulbs back, and have not had an issue since. Coincidence?
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #8350
CHV2SS

Drives: '19 camaro 2ss
Does anyone know where i can get a front camera and get it installed like the one in this link?? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNN9e6XDxlg
CHV2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:15 AM   #8351
Walnutbear

Drives: 2019 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Carbon View Post
Put down some new numbers
Holy $#@!.
Walnutbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #8352
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHV2SS View Post
Does anyone know where i can get a front camera and get it installed like the one in this link?? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNN9e6XDxlg

The part numbers are right in the video.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #8353
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Ordere ACS Side Skirts, Front Lip and splash guards...
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #8354
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Got a car wash, FINALLY!!!

My local detailer is back open for business.

Now, if I could just find a place to get my damn haircut so I can stop looking like a troll doll, that would be great.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #8355
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
https://www.flowbee.com/
Old 05-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #8356
CHV2SS

Drives: '19 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
The part numbers are right in the video.
Ok but to get it installe? I live kern california and dont really know any shop to do mods etc..
CHV2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #8357
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
So, after I got the car washed, I decided to do a half fill up with 101 Octane and 1/2 91. Went for a 90 mile drive and went thru 1/2 tank.

Holy shit does it wake up with more octane. There was a noticeable peppiness and power increase and the exhaust note took on a cleaner/crisper tone.

Stupid ass CA 91 Octane does NOT do this car justice.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #8358
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Took both the weekend girls out to stretch their legs, then a quick shot before going back in the garage. No favourites here, just the way the picture worked out...
Attached Images