Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #1
11bravoss

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Cordes breather box

Does anyone have a cordes breather box on their zl1? I was wondering if you can text me or email me some pics of how its set up, connections and placement of the box itself. Thank you
11bravoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Recommend the Elite Engineering E2X vs any vented can

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/e2-x-catch-cans/
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Recommend the Elite Engineering E2X vs any vented can

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/e2-x-catch-cans/
Vengeance Racing only uses Mighty Mouse, I asked about others and they said they use what has been proven to work best. I can't confirm or deny one is better than another, I certainly haven't done the testing, but VR is a big shop with a lot of experience.

My .02 though is that ALL catch cans are better than no catch can on a DI engine so use whatever you prefer, just get one.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 10-18-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
ZX-10R

I'd like to see a comparison to MM, the Elite is proven to work. Vengeance probably likes the larger fittings/hose but the main issue is velocity through the can and removal efficiency, not just big lines. Vent to engine bay (vs closed loop) could also be a warranty issue
Old 10-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Z OH 6

Quote:
I'd like to see a comparison to MM, the Elite is proven to work. Vengeance probably likes the larger fittings/hose but the main issue is velocity through the can and removal efficiency, not just big lines. Vent to engine bay (vs closed loop) could also be a warranty issue
All catch cans are likely going to void your engine warranty if you get one of THOSE type of dealers so its a moot point there. That being said, anything that vents into the atmosphere is probably slightly less legal. I'm sure all of the catch cans available work fine. I was just repeating what VR stated if it even matters to anyone.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
ZX-10R

Actually many catch cans aren't very effective - velocity is too high or no baffling so oil doesn't drop out effectively
Old 10-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems like too much flow from some of the vented-style catch cans could be problematic, as was what was found on a current MM-build on one of our Member's cars. If I understand correctly, a restrictor had to be added in the system.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It seems like too much flow from some of the vented-style catch cans could be problematic, as was what was found on a current MM-build on one of our Member's cars. If I understand correctly, a restrictor had to be added in the system.

Yep that was me. Way to much vacuum was pulling into the can filling it up. 8oz in 100 miles and into the intake it went, fouling plugs and loading the magnuson with oil. The old can had a different style clean output, think it was like a small barb fitting that could be drilled, widened if needed more vacuum. New one is similiar to the dirty side, just a big fitting, hole twice the size. They put the restrictor inside the clean side of the vacuum line. I get a teaspoon or less now in a few hundred miles. and its now crankcase gases etc and not pure oil .

So yes, match up correctly the type of can and setup you have so it works properly. A can with a cam and a can with stock cam yields 2 different results especially the vacuum at idle.
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
ZX-10R

Elite installs the restrictor under the blower. It just seems like there is more science and thought that went into their design.

Have yet to see any of the other guys actually post results
Old 10-20-2020, 04:23 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Yep that was me. Way to much vacuum was pulling into the can filling it up. 8oz in 100 miles and into the intake it went, fouling plugs and loading the magnuson with oil. The old can had a different style clean output, think it was like a small barb fitting that could be drilled, widened if needed more vacuum. New one is similiar to the dirty side, just a big fitting, hole twice the size. They put the restrictor inside the clean side of the vacuum line. I get a teaspoon or less now in a few hundred miles. and its now crankcase gases etc and not pure oil .

So yes, match up correctly the type of can and setup you have so it works properly. A can with a cam and a can with stock cam yields 2 different results especially the vacuum at idle.
If this was normal for everyone using a MM catch can, no one would be using one so its safe to say your scenario is more of an extreme case than the norm. Logically speaking.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #11
Z OH 6

Quote:
Actually many catch cans aren't very effective - velocity is too high or no baffling so oil doesn't drop out effectively
Got a list of those catch cans that aren't effective with documented results? Would be good for the community if you have such a list.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #12
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Vengeance Racing only uses Mighty Mouse, I asked about others and they said they use what has been proven to work best. I can't confirm or deny one is better than another, I certainly haven't done the testing, but VR is a big shop with a lot of experience.

My .02 though is that ALL catch cans are better than no catch can on a DI engine so use whatever you prefer, just get one.
My experience with Mighty Mouse sounds like it’s the same as Vengeance, zero issues. Catches crud that I dump out on occasion and zero engine seal issues at ~990 crank HP. I like that with MM you can size the hoses to the appropriate amount of flow at your HP level (-12AN in my case).
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #13
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post

Not the full story IMO. Your thread mentions that you’re also running the Speed Engineering valve covers, which are not baffled nearly as well as the stock ones. I feel like any catch can would have pulled significantly more oil in that situation until adjustments were made IMO.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Not the full story IMO. Your thread mentions that you’re also running the Speed Engineering valve covers, which are not baffled nearly as well as the stock ones. I feel like any catch can would have pulled significantly more oil in that situation until adjustments were made IMO.
I think you missed the point of my reply. It was simply to make sure the setup is correct and properly configured and setup or ANY can will have issues. Had nothing to do with mighty mouse cans.
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote