Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #15
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
I had both a ported TB and 3:91 gears installed before I installed the VTC and neither one nor both combined provided the instant acceleration as the VTC. Wish the VTC was available before I got the PTB and 3:91s as it would have saved my a LOT of $$$, but now that I have all three
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #16
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I understand with a whipple, it would be moot point probably with that kind of power. Even with a tune, ported throttle body, and stage 2 cam, I still like the pedal commander, it just removes any kind of lag from the pedal to response.
Even before the whipple i didn't have a problem with response, more pedal more go. WOT is WOT right? You like getting 25% throttle when you only push it 10%? Couldn't you just push the pedal to 25%? I mean i get if there's some lag before the throttle starts opening but i didn't feel i had that issue.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #17
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I had both a ported TB and 3:91 gears installed before I installed the VTC and neither one nor both combined provided the instant acceleration as the VTC. Wish the VTC was available before I got the PTB and 3:91s as it would have saved my a LOT of $$$, but now that I have all three
So you'd take a VTC over 3.91 gears?? How does that make sense the throttle control doesn't make you car faster, what the hell am i missing here lol.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 02-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #18
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
So you'd take a VTC over 3.91 gears?? How does that make sense the throttle control doesn't make you car faster, what the hell am i missing here lol.
You're right that a TC does not make your car faster, it just makes it feel quicker, lighter more responsive. And yes I would choose a TC over 3:91s just from a responsiveness perspective not from a speed perspective
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #19
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
You're right that a TC does not make your car faster, it just makes it feel quicker, lighter more responsive. And yes I would choose a TC over 3:91s just from a responsiveness perspective not from a speed perspective
Still doesn't make sense. A TC and gears address two VERY different issues.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #20
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
If I had a choice, I would certainly take the gears, of course. But as said above, they address two entirely different systems. Gears offer a measurable performance benefit and actually DO make the car quicker. But the TC's are more than just a change in perception, but at the same time they offer no true performance benefit. This is what makes it so hard to explain how the throttle controller feels. I could also imagine there would be people that simply wouldn't like the way they feel. They do take getting used to. When I explained it to my son I told him it was like the car had done a couple lines of coke. Like it is just ready to go, if that makes any sense at all lol.

As for just giving the car 25% more throttle, it's not the same as it is also a time/delay thing. I think the way it works is it decreases the amount of time it takes for the throttle blade to open 25%, 50%, 60% etc... It feels immediate, but is adjustable. You still have full use of pedal range. In other words, you are not at 100% input when only pressing the pedal 50%. I really wish I could explain this better. But as you said above, I think it's one of those things you really would have to try yourself to see, and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone that is already happy with their throttle to lay out the money for that.

When I bought mine it wasn't because I was unhappy with my response. I was just curious and also figured for all the rave reviews people were giving, the low relative cost, and the claimed improvement in throttle feel, that it was worth taking the risk. Once installed it really was a 'holy shit' reaction. The difference was night and day. But I totally get that they are not for everyone.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #21
Greenhornet2

I get it, makes it more like a cable throttle I just don't have an issue with mine. I mean I would like to try it to see if I liked it but it isn't worth the price tag to me. Maybe if I saw one used for $50
Old 02-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Most of the people that say just push the pedal down faster just haven't been able to feel it in person. Just try driving another Camaro with it installed and you will see what the difference is.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #23
AshenRyder

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS & 2012 HD FatBob
Quote:
I get it, makes it more like a cable throttle I just don't have an issue with mine. I mean I would like to try it to see if I liked it but it isn't worth the price tag to me. Maybe if I saw one used for $50
My first post (I appreciate everyone's contributions).

I drove a 1969 Camaro in High School in the 80s and recently treated myself to a used 1-owner V6 Gen5 with 172K mi. I love this car.

I just grabbed a used Vitesse TC from Craigslist for $70 shipped. I've only used it on the SP5 setting so far & it is an "instagrin" mod. I like it so much that if my car starts throwing codes or goes into 'limp mode', I will remove it & immediately pay full price for a new one from another manufacturer, probably the one with the US-made circuit board (JMS PedalMax).

Given your car's impressive drivetrain, you may not want instant throttle response - but I am comfortable predicting that anyone with a stock motor or a V6 will be very pleased with throttle response improved such that you must train yourself not to break traction (even with new tires) - or dial down the device's effect.

That's my opinion/contribution to this discussion subject - though I apologize for having no pertinent information on the Commander version.
AshenRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #24
lt1power

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Best Mod I have done. Get the bluetooth version. Works great.
lt1power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #25
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
If I had a choice, I would certainly take the gears, of course. But as said above, they address two entirely different systems. Gears offer a measurable performance benefit and actually DO make the car quicker. But the TC's are more than just a change in perception, but at the same time they offer no true performance benefit. This is what makes it so hard to explain how the throttle controller feels. I could also imagine there would be people that simply wouldn't like the way they feel. They do take getting used to. When I explained it to my son I told him it was like the car had done a couple lines of coke. Like it is just ready to go, if that makes any sense at all lol.

As for just giving the car 25% more throttle, it's not the same as it is also a time/delay thing. I think the way it works is it decreases the amount of time it takes for the throttle blade to open 25%, 50%, 60% etc... It feels immediate, but is adjustable. You still have full use of pedal range. In other words, you are not at 100% input when only pressing the pedal 50%. I really wish I could explain this better. But as you said above, I think it's one of those things you really would have to try yourself to see, and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone that is already happy with their throttle to lay out the money for that.

When I bought mine it wasn't because I was unhappy with my response. I was just curious and also figured for all the rave reviews people were giving, the low relative cost, and the claimed improvement in throttle feel, that it was worth taking the risk. Once installed it really was a 'holy shit' reaction. The difference was night and day. But I totally get that they are not for everyone.

Maybe I should finally put mine on? Haha...

I've been very happy with my throttle response. The car feels light on its feet and the power immediate is to my liking.

I got mine like 5yrs ago... I think its still in my glove box.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #26
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenRyder View Post
My first post (I appreciate everyone's contributions).

I drove a 1969 Camaro in High School in the 80s and recently treated myself to a used 1-owner V6 Gen5 with 172K mi. I love this car.

I just grabbed a used Vitesse TC from Craigslist for $70 shipped. I've only used it on the SP5 setting so far & it is an "instagrin" mod. I like it so much that if my car starts throwing codes or goes into 'limp mode', I will remove it & immediately pay full price for a new one from another manufacturer, probably the one with the US-made circuit board (JMS PedalMax).

Given your car's impressive drivetrain, you may not want instant throttle response - but I am comfortable predicting that anyone with a stock motor or a V6 will be very pleased with throttle response improved such that you must train yourself not to break traction (even with new tires) - or dial down the device's effect.

That's my opinion/contribution to this discussion subject - though I apologize for having no pertinent information on the Commander version.
Yeah that's the one thing I failed to mention. You can just spin the tires at will on the highest settings. Not that most people in here have a problem with doing that already. But if traction off the line is important to you, this won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Maybe I should finally put mine on? Haha...

I've been very happy with my throttle response. The car feels light on its feet and the power immediate is to my liking.

I got mine like 5yrs ago... I think its still in my glove box.
Spec, if you are already happy with your car I would say keep it as is. But of course curiosity may get the best of you like it did to me. Now there is no way I could go back to not using one.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #27
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni068 View Post
I’d love some input from anyone who has experience with the Pedal Commander, as I’m very interested in purchasing one but would like to avoid cels, limp mode, and other problems that seem to be associated with throttle controllers. I know there was mixed feedback from the vitesse but how does this brand hold up? I know it won’t make the car “faster” but I would love a quicker response on the low end. Your feedback is much appreciated!!
I posted this a while ago. I had the Vitesse and had issues with it after about a year. Say what you want about the electronics from China, but I left this unit in my pants pocket, full wash and dry cycles and it still works like the day I installed it.

This unit is $51, shipped. I highly recommend it before spending $200, just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
I've had this for over a year now, not a single issue. I even left the module in my pants pocket once and washed it, still works great! I posted a while back about the VTC. I had quite a few issues with it. I would definitely purchase this product again, not to mention it's much cheaper now then when I bought it. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2f7a6d512TsfBl

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #28
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
[QUOTE=uvraise;10719168]I posted this a while ago. I had the Vitesse and had issues with it after about a year. Say what you want about the electronics from China, but I left this unit in my pants pocket, full wash and dry cycles and it still works like the day I installed it.

This unit is $51, shipped. I highly recommend it before spending $200, just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
I've had this for over a year now, not a single issue. I even left the module in my pants pocket once and washed it, still works great! I posted a while back about the VTC. I had quite a few issues with it. I would definitely purchase this product again, not to mention it's much cheaper now then when I bought it. Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

NEW LINK TO THE PRODUCT:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2b302fc22oCsdn

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote