Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
stang stopper

Drives: 45th anniversary camaro ss
Valve seals

Is it a good ideal to put oil on the valve seals before installation?
stang stopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Like most the other valve train parts...assembly lube. Oil in a pinch if no assembly lube on hand. But oil runs off, assembly lube will stick there for quite a while until the engine is ready for that first cold start. Same as your PR ends, rockers... oil is better than nothing, but the right way is assembly lube.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
stang stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Like most the other valve train parts...assembly lube. Oil in a pinch if no assembly lube on hand. But oil runs off, assembly lube will stick there for quite a while until the engine is ready for that first cold start. Same as your PR ends, rockers... oil is better than nothing, but the right way is assembly lube.
Thanks for the info. And a bit of info that might come in handy, is if anyone is running a stage 4 cam check the rocker arm tips on the valve end. Mine are beat up pretty bad from the BTR stage 4 cam. I ended up replacing all of them just to be on the safe side. At least 6 were damaged.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang stopper View Post
Thanks for the info. And a bit of info that might come in handy, is if anyone is running a stage 4 cam check the rocker arm tips on the valve end. Mine are beat up pretty bad from the BTR stage 4 cam. I ended up replacing all of them just to be on the safe side. At least 6 were damaged.
I would check your sweep pattern and lifter preload. If it's tearing up the rocker tip something is not ideal. If good pattern and preload, it's just the lift is too much for that rocker tip and time for some nice roller tip rockers.

Close to .600+ lift is pushing it for a non roller tip. It'll work and tons of people do it, but as you saw - not ideal. If it's tearing up the rocker tip, imagine the side load on the guides.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
stang stopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I would check your sweep pattern and lifter preload. If it's tearing up the rocker tip something is not ideal. If good pattern and preload, it's just the lift is too much for that rocker tip and time for some nice roller tip rockers.

Close to .600+ lift is pushing it for a non roller tip. It'll work and tons of people do it, but as you saw - not ideal. If it's tearing up the rocker tip, imagine the side load on the guides.
Can you give me some insight on which rockers to use, I assume I will have to change pushrod lengths.