Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #15
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Here is some input I have experienced.Starters are fun. First one died at 5.5 years. Four years with shortys. Second one just crapped out yesterday with no warning other then slight heat soak restart issue but not bad, but has been going on for awhile.However these starters gradually wear out it seams, draining down the battery over time. Battery was reading good but at half strength. AAA could not get the car started even with two batteries! Never seen that ever! Brand new starter and battery and fires up great. Also these are new starters, not remanufactured.
Almost sounds like a high tq starter from when I had one on another car.
And these are all made in Mexico and quality I was told had not improved. Last starter lasted just 2.5 years vs the one from the factory.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #16
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Good to hear someone finally listened to me about a Higher torque aftermarket starter Jesus..... I have a damn near new starter on my shed floor in the powermasters box.... Another trick being old school I removed with Xacto knife the center section of the hood to firewall seal as water does not get in the cowled section and I can see it vent the heat as I have no hood penetrations.....A old school trick like having the hood sit up a little at the firewall due to adjusting it on the hinges...… I keep the section of the hood seal also next to all the other stock parts in the chamber of doom...….LOL its not rocket science...….

Strong cranking, and ZERO heat soak issues that Corvettes with headers are known to have. There is no plastic on these to fail like the OEM starters.

Worth noting:
1. On the OEM setup (on all GM V8 motors I believe), the wire that supplies power to activate the solenoid has a plastic connector. This connector must be cut off and replaced with a simple eyelet terminal.
2. It bolts up just fine to a C6 Z06 (LS7 motor). Some people have said that the power wire needs to be extended slightly, but I don't believe that's necessary. The terminal on the end of the primary power cable is L-shaped. Since it's copper, I just flattened the terminal out using a pair of pliers, and the wire had enough length to reach the starter. This may not be necessary on other motors.
Helpful

Comment Report abuse

Sam W.
5.0 out of 5 stars
Resolved my issues with slow turnovers
June 5, 2018
Verified Purchase
I love this product. I have a Magnuson Supercharger installed so my stock starter would get heat-soaked and take a while to turnover. It wasn't a perfect fit in my 2016 Camaro SS, but once it was installed, it resolved my issues with slow turnovers.
Helpful

Comment Report abuse

Dennis K.
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great product. The solenoid can be orientated 360° if ...
April 21, 2016
Verified Purchase
Great product. The solenoid can be orientated 360° if needed to clear headers. This thing is a torque monster. Must have item for going to the track with all the start & stops in the staging lanes.
Helpful

Comment Report abuse

Charles
5.0 out of 5 stars
Two thumbs up.
June 16, 2019
Verified Purchase
Great product, bigger than I thought it was
Helpful

Comment Report abuse

John Meyer
5.0 out of 5 stars
Best starter I ever bought
August 14, 2016
Verified Purchase
Great starter. I was amazed how fast it turned my car over and how quickly the car started. Probably the best thing was being able to clock the position for better header clearance.
Helpful

Comment Report abuse

Questions? Get fast answers from reviewers

‹ See all details for Powermaster 9509 XS Torque Starter