Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 04-03-2024, 01:19 AM   #1
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
RT660 life? Heat cycles?

Hey y'all -

Curious what folks are seeing in terms of heat cycles before a drop off with the RT660. Best guess is between 28 - 30 heat cycles on the current set.

Not sure what to expect - are they fast till they cord or do they give up the ghost after some heat cycles..

Thanks!
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:20 AM   #2
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
Hey y'all -

Curious what folks are seeing in terms of heat cycles before a drop off with the RT660. Best guess is between 28 - 30 heat cycles on the current set.

Not sure what to expect - are they fast till they cord or do they give up the ghost after some heat cycles..

Thanks!
If I were you, I'd expect to be buying another set of something pretty soon.

My experience has been that they're consistently good until 20-23, the next few are inconsistent, and then grip falls off the face of the earth with plenty of tread left.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:08 AM   #3
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
If I were you, I'd expect to be buying another set of something pretty soon.

My experience has been that they're consistently good until 20-23, the next few are inconsistent, and then grip falls off the face of the earth with plenty of tread left.
Agreed, they're good when new but I'd say they start falling off even earlier, like 15 cycles or so... Also, I had better luck with the 1st set I got when they first came out, they cycled out differently, giving me good grip but requiring more warm-up as they aged, the next set I got fell off quicker and was more inconsistent, finally having no peak at all, they got slower as they warmed up before I threw them away with 40% tread left.

RT660 are not as good as RE71RS or Nankang CRS.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:48 PM   #4
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Agreed, they're good when new but I'd say they start falling off even earlier, like 15 cycles or so... Also, I had better luck with the 1st set I got when they first came out, they cycled out differently, giving me good grip but requiring more warm-up as they aged, the next set I got fell off quicker and was more inconsistent, finally having no peak at all, they got slower as they warmed up before I threw them away with 40% tread left.

RT660 are not as good as RE71RS or Nankang CRS.
The RE72 don't come in 315 unfortunately.

Curious - how are the CRS v2 in terms of drop off over session. Are they like the A052, a one lap wonder, or can they stay more consistent over a 20-25 min session? I didn't notice too much drop off over a session with the RT660.

Keeping in mind my previous experience has been with Toyo RA1, Toyo RR and a brief R888 (which I did not like), it felt like the RT660 could string together 2 - 4 fast laps and then need 1 or 2 laps to gather themselves back. If I keep pushing past 4 laps they get greasy and slowdown but don't drop off a cliff...
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:10 PM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
The RE72 don't come in 315 unfortunately.

Curious - how are the CRS v2 in terms of drop off over session. Are they like the A052, a one lap wonder, or can they stay more consistent over a 20-25 min session? I didn't notice too much drop off over a session with the RT660.

Keeping in mind my previous experience has been with Toyo RA1, Toyo RR and a brief R888 (which I did not like), it felt like the RT660 could string together 2 - 4 fast laps and then need 1 or 2 laps to gather themselves back. If I keep pushing past 4 laps they get greasy and slowdown but don't drop off a cliff...

I got a set of RE71 after throwing away the RT660s... went from ZLE size wheels/tires (but 315 on the back) in the 660s to 295/35/18 on 18x12 square and my results improved dramatically. That setup is competitive with 315 Yok A052s and costs much less, also doesn't fall off nearly as fast. That said all these tires including CRS are more for autox or time trials so they will all fall off pretty quickly compared to something like the OEM SC3s.