Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #57
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah but I dont understand why.
And you never will. People do things that may make no sense to you everyday. You'll live a miserable life if you constantly question everyone else about their own life decisions. I did this for many years to people wearing crocs before I let it go.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #58
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
And you never will. People do things that may make no sense to you everyday. You'll live a miserable life if you constantly question everyone else about their own life decisions. I did this for many years to people wearing crocs before I let it go.
I don't care what gas other people put in their cars. But when people keep repeating that you will get a few more HP or that you can feel it under hard acceleration, I would like to understand what is really going on with some test data.
Every article online that I have seen so far, from major automotive publications, government sites, and consumer sites, state that getting more power with higher octane in an engine not designed for it is a myth. Someone stating they can 'feel' it, or it must be so because the ecu makes adjustments is not proof of anything. I understand the basics of compression ratios, octane, pre ignition, and knock, but I don't see how optimum ignition timing with regular can somehow get better by using higher octane. If there is not enough compression pressure to pre ignite 87, that means the 87 octane will ignite properly with the spark. Using higher octane will also not pre ignite, so will also ignite at the proper time with the spark, so what changes? Again, I'm not saying these people are wrong, but just claiming that the LGX engine gets a few more HP with premium does not convince me since I can't find any data or anything online to support the claim. And so far no one on this post making these claims has given any proof.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #59
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
And so far no one on this post making these claims has given any proof.
Because it's unreasonable for anyone to do the testing for this so called proof. Rent a dyno, reset the ecu and make passes with 87 until the ecu detects knock and modifies the timing. Could be dozens of pulls. Completely drain it and prime with 93, reset the ecu and make more passes till you see if the timing changes and what the power numbers will be.

You really think someone is going to do that with a V6 Camaro to give some guy on a forum the proof he needs? No. We just assume and go on. Throw 87 in yours i'll throw 93 in mine and everyone is happy.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #60
17rsvert

Quote:
Because it's unreasonable for anyone to do the testing for this so called proof...
My point is this should not be a matter of opinion; either high octane gas produces more power in the LGX or it does not, and it's possible to prove on a dyno. I have no desire to spend the time or money to do it, because the premise defies logic, nothing I have read supports it with data, and if true, it doesn't sound like it's worth much anyway.

Using your reasoning, it sounds just as unreasonable for anyone to blindly spend more on high octane gas if there is NO so called proof.

If someone believes it's better to spend their money, fine with me.

Then again, there IS a market for those amazing powerbalance bracelets that improve your balance and strength...
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 AM   #61
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
87 octane from new. Runs like the proverbial "bat out of a burning brush pile". The V6 will stomp my original (except now no catalytic converter- straight pipes into turbo mufflers), 79 vette, L48 auto. Amazing the HP from motors these days. My 70 SS396 was 350, gross horsepower. Son's V6 is 335 net. Wow!
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #62
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
My point is this should not be a matter of opinion; either high octane gas produces more power in the LGX or it does not, and it's possible to prove on a dyno. I have no desire to spend the time or money to do it, because the premise defies logic, nothing I have read supports it with data, and if true, it doesn't sound like it's worth much anyway.

Using your reasoning, it sounds just as unreasonable for anyone to blindly spend more on high octane gas if there is NO so called proof.

If someone believes it's better to spend their money, fine with me.

Then again, there IS a market for those amazing powerbalance bracelets that improve your balance and strength...
You'd argue with a brick wall so just have at it. I already said many times just do what you want and let other do it but it's not registering in that lump on your shoulders.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #63
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Wow a lot of opinions here, which is fine. It comes down to reading the owners manual. Assuming you are stock and no high performance tune- If the manual says "regular grade 87" you are good to run regular- there will be not benefit if you use premium. If it says Premium "recommended" then you can still run regular although the timing will retard slightly and reduce power. If the manual says premium "required" and it will usually state the octane minimum- 91 or 93 you need to run that as a minimum or you may experience detonation.

So when I had my 2017 Camaro V6 I ran regular 87.

In my 2017 Fiesta ST it does say in the manual that premium is "recommended" for full performance. I initially ran 89 octane in it and it ran like crap- no detonation but it was like running reduced power. I noticed a significant difference when I switched to 93- and I stayed with 93 ever since.

If you install a tune, go with the stated octane- usually 91 or 93, or E85 or a mix of E85 and 93.
I agree, IF the car is programmed to run on 87 then that is your best bet..

However, if someone wants to spend dollars on extra octane to make themselves feel better. Have at it.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 03-25-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #64
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
When I had a 2LT I always just used regular. If I could run regular now I still would, lol.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #65
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
I've been a life long filler of 91. Recently started filling up with 87 in my V6. I don't notice any difference. I'll just stick with the 87.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #66
17rsvert

Quote:
You'd argue with a brick wall so just have at it. I already said many times just do what you want and let other do it but it's not registering in that lump on your shoulders.
I guess you missed my point, I am not trying to argue, I am trying to learn something. If you bothered to read my post I said "If someone believes it's better to spend their money, fine with me."
I also said to those who claim to get more power from high octane, you may be right. Just back up you claim with data, or at least explain the mechanics behind your claims with a little more detail. Saying the ecu compensates so therefore there's more power is just an assumption unless you provide proof.

Asking for information is not arguing. So someone please educate me and the rest of the readers, or admit you can't.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #67
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
I guess you missed my point, I am not trying to argue, I am trying to learn something. If you bothered to read my post I said "If someone believes it's better to spend their money, fine with me."
I also said to those who claim to get more power from high octane, you may be right. Just back up you claim with data, or at least explain the mechanics behind your claims with a little more detail. Saying the ecu compensates so therefore there's more power is just an assumption unless you provide proof.

Asking for information is not arguing. So someone please educate me and the rest of the readers, or admit you can't.
They arent wrong to say there is a increase of performance... but its negligible, won't be felt under ordinary circumstances either, you would have to be pushing the car constantly to tell the difference, as in..you need to be going WOT from light to light. On a track, that is fine...on the street, I just don't see the point. Its not enough of an increase in performance and fuel mileage to justify the cost.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 AM   #68
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:

blah blah blah blah.....

Just stop dude. Seriously it's annoying. I already explained clearly what it would take to prove it and it's not a reasonable request, so everyone just use what you want and let it go. Yet you still say the same crap over and over and over.... If you want proof go and get it yourself. Otherwise hush.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #69
17rsvert

Quote:
blah blah blah blah.....

Just stop dude. Seriously it's annoying. I already explained clearly what it would take to prove it and it's not a reasonable request, so everyone just use what you want and let it go. Yet you still say the same crap over and over and over.... If you want proof go and get it yourself. Otherwise hush.
You're getting annoyed? Yeah, that's understandable, it might be annoying when someone exposes your lack or critical thinking. But I thought you were the guy who warned us all about making yourself miserable by worrying about what other people do.

I say this with peace and love: Maybe you should listen to your own advice. Lighten up dude, life is short.

And I'm still curious where this extra power comes from..
Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #70
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Regular unleaded. A huge bennie of V6. Woo hoo!
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote