Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-17-2015, 01:01 AM   #1
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Unofficial '6th Gen Gripes' thread

We know there are criticisms that you have, why not concentrate them here instead of spreading them around the rest of the site?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:11 AM   #2
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
the fact that such a thread is even needed, LOL. Love it....98% anyways.

not sure I can easily fit my golf clubs yet :P

Last edited by SUKXOST; 05-17-2015 at 01:39 AM.
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #3
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
I don't like how they reversed the lower door line from the 5th gen. The hood nostrils,,,hmmm. The rest I love.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
JGinLA
Since 1978

Drives: 2015 1LE SIM RS/2SS
Hot wings, yes. Camaro wings, no.
1993 Z28 black- 6 sp
1979 TransAm black T/A 6.6- 4 sp
JGinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
My dislikes/nitpicks:
(Exterior)
-Rear bumper creases. Tacky. Wouldn't stop me from buying, but yuck. My #1 complaint about the aesthetics.
-Rear RS or SS badge placement. Would delete immediately.
-Gold bowties (still). Take that awesome new emblem off the sides and replace the bowties with them.
-SS spoiler. Probably functional, but painfully generic and doesn't flow with the rest.
-Nostrils. Not too bad, but larger center extractor much preferred.
-20" wheels. Big 5th gen with SUV sized tires needed big wheels, but IMO smaller car with smaller sidewalls should have smaller wheels. Better for performance as long as the brakes fit and have adequate cooling, and that shouldn't be an issue on any of the models shown so far.

(Interior)
-Chunky instrument panel 'hood'. Way out of proportion. Yuck.
-Overall a bit too 'busy', but not insanely so.
-Center air vent placement. Final opinion TBD until tested, but I think that would annoy me. Similarly, the adjustment rings might be in an annoying place when either scalding hot or icy cold air is blasting out when you go to adjust. Maybe it won't be an issue.
-Tach still not in center. Minor gripe especially considering HUD likely has tach, but I feel that a performance car touted for handling ability should have tach front and center.

(Technical)
-No AFM on LT1 with manual. I know most will disagree based on L99 AFM experiences, but I can say that the implementation on the manual Stingray is spot-on. It gives me measurably better mileage during my daily highway commute, it's barely noticeable when it switches on and off, and if I don't want it to activate, I don't put it in Eco mode. Based on my experience with it on the manual Stingray, I think it will be better received on the auto SS this time around. I don't know why they didn't include it on the manual this time, especially with a mode selector that could leave it deactivated if desired.

(Special note)
-Rear/side visibility. It didn't kill the 5th gen for me, but parking did suck sometimes. A backup camera helps only so much. Final personal opinion TBD until driven. However...
It looks like more sales will be lost if the 'potential customer' general opinion of the 5th gen has anything to say about it. IMO, you don't brush off the #1 complaint from potential customers when it's a legitimately addressable issue. Again, a backup camera only helps so much. I strongly feel that they could have improved visibility without killing the good looks. It doesn't need a super high beltline to look good.

Overall, these are mostly minor gripes for what looks to be a GREAT car. They addressed my #1 complaint... The sheer weight and size of the most massive generation of Camaro to ever exist. THANK YOU GM AND TEAM CAMARO!
I like it a lot. If the C7 wasn't so amazingly perfect for me in every way, I'd probably buy a blue 2016 SS manual with MRC and dual-mode exhaust. Can't wait to see them on the road!
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Classic BowTie

Drives: Buick Grand National, 97 RS, 00 SS,
Emblems

Small gripe here....location and size of emblems. Why so small, be proud you have an RS or SS! Show them off, why have to squint to see them!

Would love to see "SS" size emblems like on the '70 Chevelle or El Camino front grile...."SS" big and bold!

Overall I love this car!
Classic BowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Stewie

Drives: 1968 Camaro
For me the new Camaro looks like a 2 door Impala. I will hold judgement until I see one in the flesh.
Stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
My gripe is all the griping.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
AFM on the V6?, really?...lol
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
The SS spoiler is a bit generic looking for my tastes, but if functional then I can deal with it. Also, I was hoping for a little bit more distinctive looks from the Gen 5, but I think seeing it in the flesh, especially next to a Gen 5 will really show the differences. I'm in regardless, can't wait! Now I'm torn between manual and the 8 speed auto which is going to be wicked fast in the SS!

Somewhatdamaged
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
No active rev match for the 4 cyl and 6 cyl manuals.

Yes it makes track driving quicker, but it is also a big help for inexperienced drivers that don't know how to smoothly rev match when shifting. Would have been a big selling point to gain more interest with the manual in the high volume models.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1since93 View Post
Blind fan boi allegiance cripples progression and market share growth.
But, I hear the Kool Aid tastes great and flows like water, so drink up.

The 2016 SS has many great improvements and is a great buy for the money.
We all can agree on that. That's why I'm buying mine.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
1) Hood nostrils...definitely preferred the old extractor.
2) Tiny trunk opening. I'm fine with a small trunk, as long as I can fit my golf clubs in it, but that opening is going to make it very difficult to make good use of the trunk, when necessary.
3) The way that the infotainment system looks like an afterthought just super glued to the dash.
4) The shape of the AC vents. I do like the placement though, because most center vents just blow onto the back of your steering wheel if you angle them toward the driver.
5) The SS spoiler. I really hope I can get an RS spoiler on the SS.
6) Run flat tires. Why do OEMs use these things? They are heavier, worsen the ride quality, cost more, and are very difficult to align/balance.

Keep in mind that this is just me nit picking. Overall, I am very pleased with the 6th gen.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
1) Hood nostrils...definitely preferred the old extractor.
2) Tiny trunk opening. I'm fine with a small trunk, as long as I can fit my golf clubs in it, but that opening is going to make it very difficult to make good use of the trunk, when necessary.
3) The way that the infotainment system looks like an afterthought just super glued to the dash.
4) The shape of the AC vents. I do like the placement though, because most center vents just blow onto the back of your steering wheel if you angle them toward the driver.
5) The SS spoiler. I really hope I can get an RS spoiler on the SS.
6) Run flat tires. Why do OEMs use these things? They are heavier, worsen the ride quality, cost more, and are very difficult to align/balance.

Keep in mind that this is just me nit picking. Overall, I am very pleased with the 6th gen.
(#5) and the SS badge location... Otherwise it looks nice...