Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-21-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
kbear951

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Do I need to replace the hub assembly too?

Okay, so I get my Brembo rotors and pads in, which I’m super stoked about. However, changed my plans to pay someone to do it because money suddenly got a little tight. Disassembly of caliper, brake pads, and rotor, easy as pie. But, I’m looking at my hub assembly and wondering if it needs to be replaced because it’s risky and had a little sound during rotation. I’m also wondering about the rubber bushings inside the caliper, I am worried they may need to be replaced as well. Basically, I’m just wondering if I have any business doing this and am asking why I even started. Lol. Brakes are important. If my hubs didn’t need to be replaced, then they probably do now....I scratched them a bit in trying to get the rust off. I thought it only looked like a little rust/brake dust, but it just won’t stop coming as I am trying to get it off. So tell me, what’s the damage...? 😅

Here is the video of the sound - it is NOT nearly as amplified in person. In fact, it’s rather quiet and a bit hard to hear if I am spinning it any slower.

https://youtu.be/ikHZYS1lJ2M
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
dru21281

The hub does sound bad, unless it's hitting the dust shield or something else? If it's not then I would replace it.
The piston boots look fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
dru21281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
^^^ same thought. The hubs are an easy replacement for the front. 3 bolts on the rear of the hub. If you can swing it, do both front because the other is probably in the same shape. The rears usually hold up better since they don’t turn.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Try eBay for the hub 25954415. There is some trash on eBay but some have had good luck and this is the best hub for the 5th gen camaros. They should have “SKF” on the back of the hub. There might be other things to look for but that’s the one I know of.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
kbear951

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Okay thank you. I’d like to wait a couple of weeks. Do you think that by sanding down the rust and leaving a bunch of surface scratches that it might tear up my new rotors a bit? Because if that is the case then I won’t wait a couple weeks, I’ll just bite the bullet and do it now. Oh and what is the safest thing to use to clean up the rust if I do hold onto them a couple more weeks? I was using sandpaper and the some PB Blast. Thanks for the tips guys!

ETA:
Also, using the part number you gave me, there’s a pair on eBay for $85, yet GM said around $500 each which makes me suspicious of authenticity of eBay pair. Also when I gave my VIN number to GM, they said my part number is 13507374 because I have the L99 motor. Which part number is better to go with if price isn’t a factor? They quoted me 196/ea for 13507374 . Is there anywhere other than GM that might have what I need locally?

Last edited by kbear951; 01-21-2021 at 02:56 PM.
kbear951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear951 View Post
Okay thank you. I’d like to wait a couple of weeks. Do you think that by sanding down the rust and leaving a bunch of surface scratches that it might tear up my new rotors a bit? Because if that is the case then I won’t wait a couple weeks, I’ll just bite the bullet and do it now. Oh and what is the safest thing to use to clean up the rust if I do hold onto them a couple more weeks? I was using sandpaper and the some PB Blast. Thanks for the tips guys!

ETA:
Also, using the part number you gave me, there’s a pair on eBay for $85, yet GM said around $500 each which makes me suspicious of authenticity of eBay pair. Also when I gave my VIN number to GM, they said my part number is 13507374 because I have the L99 motor. Which part number is better to go with if price isn’t a factor? They quoted me 196/ea for 13507374 . Is there anywhere other than GM that might have what I need locally?
My opinion is your hub scratches are fine to use. I don’t see anything deep or bad enough to worry about but just make sure the rotor fits flush. The hubs and rotors will rust and so try your best to prevent it but don’t lose sleep if there is surface rust. Unless it’s a show car, LOL.

GM parts from the dealer are always inflated. Different Camaro performance models have different hub performance criteria. They will all work but the 415 part# is the highest performance hub. Rock auto is a good place to look as well. If your worried about eBay then just email or read seller info on the hubs. If your not comfortable then don’t buy them. Some of those are just bulk buys of hubs that aren’t packaged and “dressed up” in labeled packaging but are the same hub. I put 2 front 415 hubs on my V6 and ran it for a few years and it made a difference since I had wide front tires(285) and those were eBay sourced.

As far as your hubs, they will most likely make noise in turns so addressing them when you get the $ is probably ok as long as you don’t push it too long.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
If the $85 are the ones by rollingautmotive, several of us have used them and I don't remember anyone ever have a problem.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote