Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-25-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
LT CRANK CASE VENT UPGRADE

We have been doing this for years and it came up in a conversation so we added it to our web site.

The fittings in the Crank case breather box are very large but the line that runs from the crank case to the air intake is far to small 3/8 for performance applications.

This is the clean air inlet for the PCV system when driving around normal

Then when you go full throttle is the crank case Vent.

The Big Gulp comes with the large fitting, that this hose connects to.

If you have a standard Rotofab or other air intake, order the optional fitting.

You may have to drill and tap the air intake pipe to accept the larger fitting,

Our fitting snaps right on the box side.

Ours is 5/8"

https://jannettyracing.com/products/...tm_content=web
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
No chance of a photo of the hose in question is there Ted? Showing connection points as installed?
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:53 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSS2018 View Post
No chance of a photo of the hose in question is there Ted? Showing connection points as installed?
If I had my car here today I would snap one and post it.

But is simply goes from the air intake tube to the breather box on the front of the passenger side cylinder head.

Ted.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Mike and I did this on my 16ss back in 2018, I believe this is one reason we hurt the original Lt1, lack of crank case ventilation. We went to the 5/8 hose instead of the 3/8 that come from GM, we did it on my 2022 Camaro with the 2300 and TooHighPsi PI. Here is a picture of my 2022. For more relief I ran the drivers side around the back of the blower to the factory setup. We also did the larger hose to the RotoFab elbow on the 16ss and the 2022.
This is an easy fix that anyone can do at home. You can order them from Ted, any increase in the size of the hose will help ventilate the crankcase. I did tap the elbow for the larger fitting as Ted said to do.
Name:  20230625_151251.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  277.5 KB

Name:  20230625_151306.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  240.9 KB

Name:  20230625_151323.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  236.1 KB
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Agree 100% with this mod. The DI2650's come with a replacement hose to do exactly this. My next mod is to do what laynlo15 did, and upsize the lines to the valve covers.
Attached Images

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #6
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Agree 100% with this mod. The DI2650's come with a replacement hose to do exactly this. My next mod is to do what laynlo15 did, and upsize the lines to the valve covers.
Mike and I never wanted to run a catch can on either car, they are messy and really don't work that well in our opinion. I'm sure some will disagree, but that was the choice we made and it seems to work very well and cheap to do, a few feet of 5/8 hose, there are two types the parts store will have, one is a little harder than the one I used, its softer and bends more easily without crimping on sharp turns.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 12:08 AM   #7
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Is there a horsepower or boost pressure at which this solution is inadequate and you recommend going to a MM wild catch can setup or similar? I purchased this upgrade from you but want to make sure it is still adequate after I have the joker race port done.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #8
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Are we suggesting this is in lieu of a catch can on Supercharged cars running more than factory boost?
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1...SON View Post
Is there a horsepower or boost pressure at which this solution is inadequate and you recommend going to a MM wild catch can setup or similar? I purchased this upgrade from you but want to make sure it is still adequate after I have the joker race port done.
Good Morning, Obviously there is still a ton of misinformation/misunderstandings regarding crankcase breathers and catch cans.

First you must know they are not one in the same, they are separate jobs and should be handled as such.

There are 2 sides to the PCV system and each are active depending on what the engine is doing at the moment.

And there are other factors to keep in mind, like the fact that we have a MAF in play which has to SEE all the air entering the engine either through the Air filter or through the PCV.

The PCV system is active more than 90% of the time, and is a sealed system.

This is when vacuum pulls fresh air in through our AKA breather hose, it captures all the moisture and gases that collect in the crankcase and enter through the 1 way Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve on in to the intake track where they can be burned in the combustion process.

This is where we would introduce a SEALED catch can on engines Not Equipped.

Our LT engine have one from the factory, The black Box.

The air that enters the Crank Case Breather hose is measured air flow by the MAF and accounted for in the fueling calculations.

When you go to full throttle or Cross the 95Kpa threshold, or the engine switches from Vacuum to Atmospheric pressure or boost, the PCV valve closes and the direction of flow changes direction in the Crankcase Breather Hose and exits in the MAF pipe where there is lower pressure than what is in the crank case which creates a pressure differential which helps ring seal.

This is also a Sealed system so the MAF can see all the air flow in to the engine.

At this point your eyes may be glazing over LOL

The amount of Crankcase breathing that is needed is direct relation to the engines ability to keep the combustion process in the cylinder and not past the rings.

There will always be a small percentage Hopefully 3-4% or less that goes by the rings, The OE breather system with the addition of the larger hose and fittings does a great job.

We are and have run it at 1300 HP because our engines have good ring seal and our tuning avoids detonation.

Detonation will unseat the rings and create excessive blow by.

In the case of detonation it is easy for the Crankcase Breather system to be overwhelmed and push out seals and ultimately oil.

There is no denying that as cylinder pressure rises, AKA increased HP, that 3-4% leak is a larger volume at higher HP Levels.

Which is the Reason we increase the size of this Breather hose in the first place.

Open Breathers should be left for pure race cars running on the edge of Detonation.

So to answer your question your system is more than adequate providing you stay out of detonation.

There is a lot more to talk about but I will leave that for another day.

Merry Christmas,

Ted.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #10
ZL1...SON

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Good Morning, Obviously there is still a ton of misinformation/misunderstandings regarding crankcase breathers and catch cans.

First you must know they are not one in the same, they are separate jobs and should be handled as such.

There are 2 sides to the PCV system and each are active depending on what the engine is doing at the moment.

And there are other factors to keep in mind, like the fact that we have a MAF in play which has to SEE all the air entering the engine either through the Air filter or through the PCV.

The PCV system is active more than 90% of the time, and is a sealed system.

This is when vacuum pulls fresh air in through our AKA breather hose, it captures all the moisture and gases that collect in the crankcase and enter through the 1 way Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve on in to the intake track where they can be burned in the combustion process.

This is where we would introduce a SEALED catch can on engines Not Equipped.

Our LT engine have one from the factory, The black Box.

The air that enters the Crank Case Breather hose is measured air flow by the MAF and accounted for in the fueling calculations.

When you go to full throttle or Cross the 95Kpa threshold, or the engine switches from Vacuum to Atmospheric pressure or boost, the PCV valve closes and the direction of flow changes direction in the Crankcase Breather Hose and exits in the MAF pipe where there is lower pressure than what is in the crank case which creates a pressure differential which helps ring seal.

This is also a Sealed system so the MAF can see all the air flow in to the engine.

At this point your eyes may be glazing over LOL

The amount of Crankcase breathing that is needed is direct relation to the engines ability to keep the combustion process in the cylinder and not past the rings.

There will always be a small percentage Hopefully 3-4% or less that goes by the rings, The OE breather system with the addition of the larger hose and fittings does a great job.

We are and have run it at 1300 HP because our engines have good ring seal and our tuning avoids detonation.

Detonation will unseat the rings and create excessive blow by.

In the case of detonation it is easy for the Crankcase Breather system to be overwhelmed and push out seals and ultimately oil.

There is no denying that as cylinder pressure rises, AKA increased HP, that 3-4% leak is a larger volume at higher HP Levels.

Which is the Reason we increase the size of this Breather hose in the first place.

Open Breathers should be left for pure race cars running on the edge of Detonation.

So to answer your question your system is more than adequate providing you stay out of detonation.

There is a lot more to talk about but I will leave that for another day.

Merry Christmas,

Ted.
Thanks for the detailed response, Ted.
Rotofab CAI, Banks Idash, AEM X series wideband, CSP 2" headers, Jet hot 2500 ceramic coating, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, DMS Fender Tank, Velossatech Big Mouth, JMS Fuel Booster, MPI Billet Lid, Jokerz race port, 2.30" upper, 107mm Soler TB, 160°F Billet DMS, Big Gulp, LPE Big Bore HPFP, XDI +30, ECM & TCM tuned by Elite Tuned, Atturo 315 AZ850DR
ZL1...SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 12:53 PM   #11
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Sorry if I missed it but this uses a 5/8" hose?
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:17 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Sorry if I missed it but this uses a 5/8" hose?
Yes sir.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:48 AM   #13
CamOnlyJabroni

Drives: 19’ ZL1 A10 / 16’ C7Z M7
There are breathers out there that utilize a check valve. With that you have the "effect" of a sealed system when in vacuum with unaltered fuel trims and also have a vent "breather" when in boost. Only thing you don't end up getting with this setup is the air intake creating vacuum to help further evacuate crankcase blowby. If on pump gas this is the setup I would run IMO. Wouldn't want any chance of oil vapor entering the intake/TB and lowering the octane rating of the fuel. If running on E, I wouldn't be worried about it.
CamOnlyJabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:59 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamOnlyJabroni View Post
There are breathers out there that utilize a check valve. With that you have the "effect" of a sealed system when in vacuum with unaltered fuel trims and also have a vent "breather" when in boost. Only thing you don't end up getting with this setup is the air intake creating vacuum to help further evacuate crankcase blowby. If on pump gas this is the setup I would run IMO. Wouldn't want any chance of oil vapor entering the intake/TB and lowering the octane rating of the fuel. If running on E, I wouldn't be worried about it.
The factory box eliminates any oil vapor from entering intake.