Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Water in the Intake?

So I was driving in the rain today and the rpms started going crazy. I would be in first gear and suddenly the rpms would just to 4k and force me to shift into second, only to go below 1k and force me to floor it to prevent stalling. This happened for about 20 mins, and after stalling a couple times and having to start the car while still moving in busy traffic, I was able to park it off to inspect the car. To sum it up, the catch can had about 1/4th of a water bottle of muddy water, and when I looked under the car, there was a huge hole cut into the wheel well that exposed the Airraid CAI Filter. I feel like this had to be cut by a person, since I have no idea what could have cut it. The wheel well was still drilled to the fender so it had plenty of clearance from the wheel, and everything else looked fine behind it (no overheating fog lights or wires or anything). Luckily I have a waterproof sock on the filter, but it looks like water had to have gotten in.
Anything I can do besides get a new wheel well? I started the car and drove for a little bit tonight and it seemed fine, but I'm pretty sure the problem isn't gone
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
Who owned the car before you? Are you saying a random person put a hole in your car without your knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRF8 View Post
Who owned the car before you? Are you saying a random person put a hole in your car without your knowledge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had the car for two years, and did not notice a hole in the wheel well when I was messing with my fog lights a couple weeks ago. I don't get why someone would want to cut a hole in their, but I can't think of anyway it happened on its own through driving.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #4
gotexas25
Camaroholic

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
I don't have the IPF on my car yet, but I'm doing a mod like discussed here before it goes in. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80189
I've sucked water into my Injen intake (even with hydroshield on) and I'm not taking chances with the supercharger installed.
gotexas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
You never know what was in an original owner's mind at the time... perhaps providing a cheap way to get cool air to the intake, or thinking it would help with brake cooling- who knows LOL!

But I do know you're going to have to replace that fender liner. Those MAF's will only take so much abuse, and then you're gonna get stranded somewhere.

These cars have been around long enough, maybe you could pick up a used liner on Ebay or a local used parts emporium (junk yard).
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
The water in the catch can is probably condensation since it's in a place that gets cooled faster than the engine bay. Some places it will fill up in a week, others will be months, depends on the weather.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Ventmaster

Bingo- http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-13-Camaro...18cb47&vxp=mtr

Not a bad price with free shipping. Is it that little window that's missing on your car (looks to be pop riveted in place)?
Old 03-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #8
djrasras

Thanks guys. I know the old owner didn't make the hole because it wasn't there when I was working under the car a week ago. I did buy a new fender lining, but I am just worried about any possible engine damage. I drove the car on the highway today and it was fine except for a little bit of shaking in 5th gear at half-throttle. Also, the water in the catch can was VERY muddy. It was almost like sediment was just coming out. Not sure if I should take out the spark plugs or anything because at this point everything should be dry because I didn't drive the car for 2 days.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
That is oil vapors mixed with water, probably smells bad too. Drain it and keep an eye on it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:48 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Agreed, the milky water/oil mix in the catch can is normal and not likely related to your rain event.

The MAF sensor in the air intact tract just got wet from the likely torrent of water thrown at the air filter by your tire.

You could pull it out and give a spray of MAF sensor cleaner. It's sold at any auto parts store. Just follow directions.

Your low speed and traffic probably saved you from anything more serious.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
If you're worried your car took in water, CHANGE YOUR OIL. Quit driving the car until you change the oil.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
djrasras

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to change the oil tomorrow, drain the catch can, and buy some MAF sensor cleaner. And ya I'm definitely lucky, I almost rear ended two cars before I could pull over from all the rev jumps.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #13
djrasras

So I just did everything I stated above and replaced the ripped wheel well (attached a pic of it), and my check engine light turned off, so looks like crisis averted
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #14
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
That hole looks like it was rubbed through by the tire. Has the inner fenderwell been loose? If you pull it back, I'll bet the hole matches up with the shape of the tire.....
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote