Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss View Post
I got of set of these so I would not have to always use a range device plugged in my odb2 port.
Looks like that involves tuning, AFM can be tuned out, no reason to bolt on the electric motors to the simulators. Any one can just unbolt the afm motors, keep them plugged in and just hang them under the car securely. The engine still goes into AFM mode so no gain there. BTW, I already have a hooker mid pipe system that has a place to hang both electric AFM motors and there are no valves in the pipes. I will eventually install that and then have AFM tuned out. Thank you for your input and suggestion. Temporarily I am just trying to do a work around so the AFM doesnt activate, I have a very sensitive butt meter and ear, I hear and feel afm connect and disconnect. I can hear the exhaust note change and feel torque converter lock up or tighten. I do admit it is extremely hard to detect if you have the radio on and not really paying attention.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #16
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
RANGE TECHNOLOGIES (evidently now part of HOLLEY) techs told me in July that their module will not work consistently with the A10 transmissions. The techs said that they may produce an A10 module, and using the A8 module may interfere with the A10 transmission reliability and shifting. I for one did not want to risk damage to the A10 in my ZL1. Others feel free to take that risk.
Your ZL1 has AFM hardware but it is disabled from the factory. You don’t need the Range AFM device.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #17
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
RANGE TECHNOLOGIES (evidently now part of HOLLEY) techs told me in July that their module will not work consistently with the A10 transmissions. The techs said that they may produce an A10 module, and using the A8 module may interfere with the A10 transmission reliability and shifting. I for one did not want to risk damage to the A10 in my ZL1. Others feel free to take that risk.
I agree so mine stays on the closet shelf. I guess i just need to sell it.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:47 PM   #18
Orange ss

Drives: 19 camaro19mustang72 chevelle 67pon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Looks like that involves tuning, AFM can be tuned out, no reason to bolt on the electric motors to the simulators. Any one can just unbolt the afm motors, keep them plugged in and just hang them under the car securely. The engine still goes into AFM mode so no gain there. BTW, I already have a hooker mid pipe system that has a place to hang both electric AFM motors and there are no valves in the pipes. I will eventually install that and then have AFM tuned out. Thank you for your input and suggestion. Temporarily I am just trying to do a work around so the AFM doesnt activate, I have a very sensitive butt meter and ear, I hear and feel afm connect and disconnect. I can hear the exhaust note change and feel torque converter lock up or tighten. I do admit it is extremely hard to detect if you have the radio on and not really paying attention.
No tunning required..no check engine light and no changing over to 4 cylinder mode ..and a lot more cheaper then the range device i was using .
Orange ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:00 AM   #19
Ron2ss

Drives: 2020 2ss vert
Read more info on this thread:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585528

There are two versions of the A10. 10L80 and 10L90. Check your RPO codes to see which transmission you have. (MI2 for 10L80)

ZL1 uses the 10L90 and that is the version that Range has listed as not supported. SS cars use the 10L80 which has different programming as well as some mechanical differences. The Range device works with the 10L80.

I don't see how the AWE Valve Simulators can turn off AFM without a tune since AFM is controlled electronically within a module.

Your cars - do as you want.
Ron2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:28 AM   #20
Cedar

Drives: 2017 Z06 Corvette
Quote:
I got of set of these so I would not have to always use a range device plugged in my odb2 port.
I have a question: Isn't that plate to keep the valves open but the engine will still go into the V4 mode?
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2ss View Post
Read more info on this thread:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585528

There are two versions of the A10. 10L80 and 10L90. Check your RPO codes to see which transmission you have. (MI2 for 10L80)

ZL1 uses the 10L90 and that is the version that Range has listed as not supported. SS cars use the 10L80 which has different programming as well as some mechanical differences. The Range device works with the 10L80.

I don't see how the AWE Valve Simulators can turn off AFM without a tune since AFM is controlled electronically within a module.

Your cars - do as you want.
No zl1 goes into v4 mode. Why would you buy a range device for it
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #22
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to stay out of AFM mode until I can have it tuned out. I have a 2021 LT1 so there is no track setting, only touring, sport and eco mode. I drive in sport mode and I do believe I feel and hear the car get quiet and throttle feels the same as in the old days when the converter would lock up. A very slight nudge on the throttle and yes it kicks out. I do not want to drive around in manual mode. I do not like AFM, I wished it was switchable for those who do not want it active. If I shut off traction control and or stability control? will that do it? I will be tuning it out in a few months, but for now what can I do??
Range AFM Disabler.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #23
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
I have a question: Isn't that plate to keep the valves open but the engine will still go into the V4 mode?
I believe that you’re correct. I don’t think the plates on the exhaust will prevent the ECU from putting the engine in V4 mode. The plates allow you to install a non-AFM exhaust on a car with AFM without setting a CEL. A person could enable the V8/V4 display on the dash to monitor the engine mode and verify what the engine is doing.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #24
Ron2ss

Drives: 2020 2ss vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
No zl1 goes into v4 mode. Why would you buy a range device for it
You wouldn't. I was just pointing out differences for the inquiring minds.
Ron2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:09 PM   #25
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
Quote:
No tunning required..no check engine light and no changing over to 4 cylinder mode ..and a lot more cheaper then the range device i was using .
I think your car might still be going in V4 mode. Those plates just trick ECU into thinking AFM valves inside the exhaust are still working after you install an aftermarket exhaust. My '19 2SS A10 has full borla/corsa exhaust so I don't have AFM valves anymore but I use range device so I really don't need the plates you got.

However if I drive without my AFM disabler check engine light comes on after few miles because I am missing AFM exhaust valves.

Last edited by ste1n; 12-13-2020 at 06:03 PM.
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #26
Orange ss

Drives: 19 camaro19mustang72 chevelle 67pon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
I think your car might still be going in V4 mode. Those plates just trick ECU into thinking AFM valves inside the exhaust are still working after you install an aftermarket exhaust. My '19 2SS A10 has full borla/corsa exhaust so I don't have AFM valves anymore but I use range device so I really don't need the plates you got.

However if I drive without my AFM disabler check engine light comes on after few miles because I am missing AFM exhaust valves.
yes the plates stop the check engine light ..dont have use the range device anymore ..I have the borla with secondary cat delete and MBRP Axl backs
Orange ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post

If the AFM motors are unbolted from the AFM valve brkts, left plugged in and just hung under the car, everyone says no check engine light. Or just have the Afm tuned out . Tuning it out is for me and I will have the car tuned anyway. The plates give you a place to mount the electric motors if you do not want to just zip tie them up under the car. I have the hooker blackheart midpipe pieces with AFM brkts welded onto the pipes with no valves. Just bolt on the motors, leave them wired up and your good. But the engine still goes into AFm mode till you tune it off or do the range device.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote