Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
hep4186

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Kirkland Oil

Anyone use the Kirkland Dexos 5-30 oil in an SS? Price is too good to believe but is it decent oil?
hep4186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That’s the point of dexos. If they got it certified it should be good right
Old 08-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
If it meets the standard of the Dexos that's required for the car, then I see no reason it won't be fine.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
it's the same oil that walmart and amazon basics gets for their branded oils.

Pretty much any modern full synth (gasoline intended) motor oil is going to be fine and meeting all the current specs if they bothered to pay for the testing to get the little spec logo.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
RWT

Drives: 2020 Camaro RS
I have seen others posters that use the Kirkland Dexos approved oil. My thoughts are if you perform your oil changes on schedule, any proper weight Dexos approved oil will work fine.

I use Mobil1 because I can get it Sam's on sale $29 for 6qts. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Dexos approved house brand if I didn't get such a great deal on the Mobil1.

The differences in Dexos approved oil offerings are not that significant (here come the flames) and become even less important with strict adherence to OCI's. Are some better than others, yes. Does that difference really matter if you are changing it often, no. Often times the only significant difference is the marketing.

Here's a video that contains a new and used oil analysis of the Kirkland Oil (at about 8:45 minutes):

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed.

2020 Camaro RS, V6, 6MT, Satin Steel
2020 Silverado, 5.3L CC, RST, Z71, Shadow Gray
2019 Equinox LS, 1.5L Turbo, Nightfall Gray Metallic
RWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i personally wouldnt use it just like i wouldnt use costco/sams club gas in my camaro only my daily lol but everybody is different
Old 08-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I use Kirkland oil, no problem.

Also, I use Costco gas - it is certified Top Tier, so no problems with saving 60-80 cents/gallon. I don't think Sam's club or BJ's gas is Top Tier though.
Allez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
I use Kirkland oil, no problem.

Also, I use Costco gas - it is certified Top Tier, so no problems with saving 60-80 cents/gallon. I don't think Sam's club or BJ's gas is Top Tier though.
I personally use BJs gas, the one closest to me has always been good, or even better than some top tier stations. When I've run data on this and past cars, I almost never see corrections from knock, whereas a couple of the top tier stations I would see more. I have heard of people having issues with their gas in other regions though, so I'm sure it varies quite a bit.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Why would anyone not use Costco fuel? It’s top tier unlike the majority of fuels.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Why would anyone not use Costco fuel? It’s top tier unlike the majority of fuels.
Mostly because i dont have a huge family (just me and the wife) and paying for a membership to a place that is geared towards bulk sales to save money doesn't make any sense.

Plus, all gas stations where i live are top tier. I dont think they even allow non-top tier stations. One of the benefits of living in an uppity area.

plus, viewing gas buddy...the costco prices are only 30 cents lower for premium. So it would save me 5-10 bucks a month and the membership costs 5 bucks a month so a savings of 0-5 bucks a month assuming i only ever filled up there.

I'll pass.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i use it in my daily 17 cruze lt and i switch between 87/91 but im good on using it in my camaro ss lol i literally only used to use it for the gas and then went inside sometimes but since the rona hit i havent even stepped inside since then
Old 08-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I save way more than the $50 fee in my gas savings per year alone. They are at least .30 less a gallon than anywhere near me. I buy some clothes that are dirt cheap and paper towels as well. It is also right by my work.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #13
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
In short - good to go with Costco, SAM's, BJ, large Grocers, Speedway, RaceTrac, etc.

Long story if interested and same for all major metros. Fuel from local refineries and imports are injected into the regional pipeline system (Kinder Morgan in LA basin) and moved downstream to local storage tanks (KM ships to Vegas and Phoenix out of LA) where different grades are stored in community tanks. When the local transportation company loads gasoline for a station, ethanol and additive packages "may" be added to the community fuel as it pumps into the tanker. Ethanol (oxygenate) blends are regulated and additive “package” depends on the customer and referred to as "branded" fuel. The additive packages are generally "top tier" and should be indicated at the pump. Any QC issues are generally related to less than stellar local station operations and poor hygiene of their tanks (water, etc.). To a lesser degree, some QC issues can be transporter induced depending on the QC of their tank fleet and cross contamination. Costco, SAM’s, and most major distributors use a “top tier” additive package, have best in class tank hygiene and most importantly turn over their fuel on a regular basis which may not always be the case for the local, small name your franchise down the street especially if they don’t sell a lot of “premium” fuel. The exterior of the station can give you insight as to where the money is going (or not) and it may not be in the QC of their lowest margin product --- fuel (tanks, filters, etc.) …..

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 08-08-2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: ..
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote