Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 09-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #15
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
FYI, to confirm what someone else already said.

The magnet is acting on the unfiltered oil.

Not sure it really works but can't see how it could do any harm so I always used both a filter mag & mag drain plug
Attached Images

Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #16
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Marketing animation from jegs for a product they sell? Turbonator had the same stuff.

Standard and cheap filters have a paper media. Any oil going into the filter that isn't being bypassed at the time is going to go through this paper. Anything that makes it through is going to be only a certain number of microns large and that's not large enough to do damage to an engine or everyone's engines would be damaged and not running for the 15+ years that they all basically do these days.

The oil that leaves the filter when it's not being bypassed is the cleanest oil in your car at any given time. If you have a problem where damaging sized particles of metal are making it through your filter so that you need a magnet to improve protection at the filter then your filter media has been perforated or otherwise damaged and you need to replace the filter and think about getting one that's much better quality or change it sooner so it's not stuck always in bypass mode.

A magnet in the oil pan (usually via the plug screw) makes sense because oil in there has not yet been passed through the filter and will carry particles down from the engine where they will settle when the car is off or oil pressure is low. So there is both time and opportunity to capture those by the magnet.

Oil filter magnets wont do you any harm, but they're a waste of money.

edit: if your argument is that filters just dont filter enough when operating as they're supposed to then we're living in different universes.
You still don't get it. I suppose condoms are 100% protection in your eyes also. Believe what you want.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
You still don't get it. I suppose condoms are 100% protection in your eyes also. Believe what you want.
If the condom company warrantied me against pregnancies for 10 years then i would be pretty confident that it was doing it's job. Way more than someone selling a device that would be nearly impossible to verify is actually functional since where it's at will be full of junk due to the filter material keeping all the dirt and junk where this magnet is supposedly capturing steel.

Your magnet is at best redundant at the filter.

You can believe what you want, but since it looks redundant and the OEM doesn't think it's necessary to include to keep their engine that they're warrantying safe, I will file it under crap that used to be a thing back in the 80's and earlier but doesn't really matter anymore.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
If the condom company warrantied me against pregnancies for 10 years then i would be pretty confident that it was doing it's job. Way more than someone selling a device that would be nearly impossible to verify is actually functional since where it's at will be full of junk due to the filter material keeping all the dirt and junk where this magnet is supposedly capturing steel.

Your magnet is at best redundant at the filter.

You can believe what you want, but since it looks redundant and the OEM doesn't think it's necessary to include to keep their engine that they're warrantying safe, I will file it under crap that used to be a thing back in the 80's and earlier but doesn't really matter anymore.
Believe what you want!

Your last statement is kind of redundant also since the car doesn't come with a magnetic drain plug from the factory either but that doesn't mean there aren't metal particles in the oil that could possibly damage the engine.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #19
flooZL1

Drives: 2020 RGM ZL1
Quote:
Marketing animation from jegs for a product they sell? Turbonator had the same stuff.

Standard and cheap filters have a paper media. Any oil going into the filter that isn't being bypassed at the time is going to go through this paper. Anything that makes it through is going to be only a certain number of microns large and that's not large enough to do damage to an engine or everyone's engines would be damaged and not running for the 15+ years that they all basically do these days.

The oil that leaves the filter when it's not being bypassed is the cleanest oil in your car at any given time. If you have a problem where damaging sized particles of metal are making it through your filter so that you need a magnet to improve protection at the filter then your filter media has been perforated or otherwise damaged and you need to replace the filter and think about getting one that's much better quality or change it sooner so it's not stuck always in bypass mode.

A magnet in the oil pan (usually via the plug screw) makes sense because oil in there has not yet been passed through the filter and will carry particles down from the engine where they will settle when the car is off or oil pressure is low. So there is both time and opportunity to capture those by the magnet.

Oil filter magnets wont do you any harm, but they're a waste of money.

edit: if your argument is that filters just dont filter enough when operating as they're supposed to then we're living in different universes.
Not to revive an old thread but if anyone is doing significant research on oil filter magnets as I am....this dude seems to have the correct answer.

I'd be concerned about magnets interfering with the bypass valve cracking pressure as well.

Unfortunately there's no conclusive research that proving or disproving the effectivity of oil filter magnets, and whether or not the particles they catch would've been caught by the filter anyways.

I'd love to see someone do something like that.

'06 GTO Spice Red (RIP)
-Full Pedders, K&N, Ported TB, FAST Manifold, SW Exhaust, Stoptech Brakes, DBA5000XS

flooZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote