Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
SS 1LE or ZL1 for a street car

Which is better as a street car, 2SS 1LE or ZL1 M6 (not 1LE)? The ZL1 is heavier, but the non-1LE ZL1 might be more fun in regular street use and occasional canyon runs. Both manual cars, not interested in the auto. What do you think?

Last edited by 6sigma; 11-07-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: edit for better context
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
I think street racing is stupid, and either car is likely to end up wrapped around a tree without a competent driver.
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
I think street racing is stupid, and either car is likely to end up wrapped around a tree without a competent driver.
Agreed. I don't mean street racing. I mean regular street use with occasional canyon runs. Not street racing. Which is the more fun sports car?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Both cars have limits just about impossible to get even close to on the street and designed more as track cars.
I wanted more of a gentleman’s GT so I opted for a 2SS with the goodies in my sig.

I couldn’t imagine a harder ride, expensive short lived steamroller tires and the expense.
The SS is still insane as far as handling on the streets.
I am older and wiser so take that into consideration.

Edit, one more thing. Insanely high handling limits can get boring unless you can explore all of it.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
HP levels with cars like the ZL1 are getting so high that you can't reasonably stretch the legs unless you have a big track IMO. Yes, you can tear up the canyons or stoplights, but you can do that in the NA 455hp model too. If you take SS in 2nd to the shift-lights, where the optimum shift happens, it's already going 80mph.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
HP levels with cars like the ZL1 are getting so high that you can't reasonably stretch the legs unless you have a big track IMO. Yes, you can tear up the canyons or stoplights, but you can do that in the NA 455hp model too. If you take SS in 2nd to the shift-lights, where the optimum shift happens, it's already going 80mph.
Yeah, that's the thing, both are excessive for street use. But if I'm going for excess why not go all the way? I had a 16 CTS-V 640hp and it was fun but hard to use the power. I just think the SS and ZL1 would be pretty similar in that regard so why not go with more.

I do like the exclusivity of the 1LE, if that makes sense. And I might track it some but not enough to really justify the track package. I'm more interested in what would make a fun street car, since that is where I would use it 99.7% of the time.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish View Post
Couldnt have said it better myself
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I have daily driven my 17 SS 1LE for almost 2 years now, the last 6 months of that while being supercharged. I was at 460rwhp and now am at 650rwhp.

Car drives just fine, hasnt been wrapped around a tree nor has it hit a curb or tried to hit a person. I know several people who daily drive a ZL1 and at least 3 people that daily drive a ZL1-1LE.

What fun is it to buy a SS 1LE or ZL1 and then leave it parked all the time unless you are able to go to a track? Seems like a really expensive track toy, not that some people on here dont do that at all but they are the 1% that can afford a nice DD and also have a brand new SS 1LE track car as well.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD

Last edited by TJay74; 11-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
ZL1
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You'll never get full use of the power of the ZL1 on the street. The 1LE will be amazing for canyon carving. Plus you get to save $10k-$15k over the ZL1.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Glad someone brought up this topic. I too have wondered about this. Having owned my ss 1le for around 5 months now, i still feel like my SS is too slow for my taste, at least in straight acceleration. Seeing the non-1le ZL1s going for as low as 55-57k makes me wonder... then again i really like the grandsport and the shelby350 too.

If i were in your shoes coming from a high powered car like your cts v, id go with the zl1.

Past:
2008 C6 - heads/cam/boltons
2005 GTO - cam/boltons
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
Having owned my ss 1le for around 5 months now, i still feel like my SS is too slow for my taste, at least in straight acceleration. Seeing
No offense, but people who feel this way seem to always feel this way after X months of having the new car or power upgrade.

SS is lots of power for the street imo. For those who always need more I'd seriously consider a dedicated track car to put that money and effort into.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
Yeah, that's the thing, both are excessive for street use. But if I'm going for excess why not go all the way? I had a 16 CTS-V 640hp and it was fun but hard to use the power. I just think the SS and ZL1 would be pretty similar in that regard so why not go with more.

I do like the exclusivity of the 1LE, if that makes sense. And I might track it some but not enough to really justify the track package. I'm more interested in what would make a fun street car, since that is where I would use it 99.7% of the time.
Honestly, it sounds like you know what car to buy.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #14
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Coming from a V6, the SS power level would be a nice step up without going the full 650hp of the ZL1 right off the bat. The ZL1 can be a daily driver, but you're going to want to swap the tires out to something more friendly for rainy days if you do highway driving on your commute.

Fuel economy isn't mentioned but the ZL1 does use more fuel than the SS. I was able to get the SS over 30mpg on long highway trips, sometimes getting nearly 32mpg! The ZL1 likes to be closer to 25 mpg on those same trips. Not that we buy these cars for fuel efficiency, but something to know as a DD is your total cost of ownership.

Insurance-wise, it'll depend entirely on your own situation but for me, the difference was pennies a month. ZL1 tends to get older more responsible drivers (less wrecks) due to the economics of buying a $57-67k car.

Ride quality and handling wise - The SS 1LE is hard to fault. It's pretty much the perfect combination of street ride quality with sports car handling. The ZL1 is very similar, but you can feel the front end weight a bit more and it's not as quick to steering inputs. We are really splitting hairs though at this difference.

If I had to do my entire Camaro experience over again, I would have waited a year for the 2SS 1LE and left it at that. The ZL1 is definitely worth the upcharge, but for the streets I drive on, the acceleration advantage comes in very short bursts where I need to drive out of my way to use it. It makes me smile like something is wrong with me when I punch the gas and hear the supercharger whine away, but with how quickly it goes past any speed limit around me locally, this is a rare occurrence. Mostly, it's just trying to manage the clutch around the dead spot from a stop. Stupid software.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote