Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 04-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Bose "Active Noise Cancellation" problem. Need advice.

This system on my 2SS is malfunctioning and creating an intolerable buzzing/resonating sound at idle and diminishing the overall quality of the sound system. Sounds similar to a blown speaker at low volume.

I've had three visits to my dealer since purchase for this issue, and so far, no satisfaction. Even when I was able to demonstrate the problem to their Tech on the most recent visit, they returned the car to me with the issue somewhat toned down, but still present. After a week or two, it's back to full volume annoyance.

I called the service writer yesterday to figure out what my options were, or how to get the next level of assistance with this. Of course, he told me to bring it back in and leave it. I'm really sick of this, and after three tries, I'm not sure why I should expect another visit to resolve this.

If anyone has any ideas or wisdom on how I should proceed, I'd welcome it.

Thanks
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
illiam09

Drives: Nissan Altima
I have a Cadillac Cts Vsport and I added a sub to my car. It would hum so I searched and found there is a plug that goes into my factory amp that is hooked up to the mics for the ANC. I just unplugged it (It is also hooked up to a factory sub speaker but i cant tell the difference since my sub is better) Maybe if you can find your amp in the trunk you can just pull that plug. Just pull the carpet out and look around. See if you can find a thread about adding subwoofer and diabling the ANC in a camaro 6th gen. I do not recommend cutting wires. They would probably void your warranty. Also you could try taking it to a different dealer. And look up the lemon law for your state.
illiam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
I would try unplugging the microphones in the doors. It is documented elsewhere here.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
DetCam

Drives: 2016 1SS (12/10/2016)
I had a loud "drone" sound, at very low RPM, it was like the noise cancellation system thought it had to cancel out a very loud exhaust note that wasn't there. There was a bulletin on it. (Early build, December of 2015 delivery). They unplugged the Noise Cancellation module for a while. They were going to have to replace the module, but none were available yet. Many months later they got me one, and replaced it. At least they said they did, I honestly can't tell the difference now that it's back in there. At least that loud drone didn't come back.

I'd be tempted to find a new dealer and get the module swapped out.
DetCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
ticner58

Drives: 16 RS 2LT 2.0T, 11 HHR, 08 Enclave
I had the same problem with my RS a few months back. Mine only did it up to about 1500 rpm and then stopped. Drove me crazy driving around town at slower speeds. The dealer had it for 2 weeks and could not figure it out. Finally somebody from Bose came down from Detroit and determined it had the wrong right speaker in it. I believe he said it had a speaker that was meant for a convertible. Made sense, mine was built the same week convertible builds started.
ticner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I didn't know active noise cancelation was an option? I have a 17 2SS Fifty, does it automatically come with the Bose in the 2SS? Is there no options for it in the settings?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #7
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I didn't know active noise cancelation was an option? I have a 17 2SS Fifty, does it automatically come with the Bose in the 2SS? Is there no options for it in the settings?
Yes. My understanding is that it's part of the Bose systems in the 2SS and 1LT cars. As has been mentioned, its mis-calibrated or is trying to cancel out a noise that's not present. The sound is present with the stereo on OR off. It can be silenced by opening a door or popping the trunk.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #8
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticner58 View Post
I had the same problem with my RS a few months back. Mine only did it up to about 1500 rpm and then stopped. Drove me crazy driving around town at slower speeds. The dealer had it for 2 weeks and could not figure it out. Finally somebody from Bose came down from Detroit and determined it had the wrong right speaker in it. I believe he said it had a speaker that was meant for a convertible. Made sense, mine was built the same week convertible builds started.
Interesting. I wonder what I would need to do to get the attention of the Bose guy. I've been through this with the resident "ringer" Tech at my local dealer, which is a pretty good sized GM store that does high volume, and he can't nail it down.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetCam View Post
I had a loud "drone" sound, at very low RPM, it was like the noise cancellation system thought it had to cancel out a very loud exhaust note that wasn't there. There was a bulletin on it. (Early build, December of 2015 delivery). They unplugged the Noise Cancellation module for a while. They were going to have to replace the module, but none were available yet. Many months later they got me one, and replaced it. At least they said they did, I honestly can't tell the difference now that it's back in there. At least that loud drone didn't come back.

I'd be tempted to find a new dealer and get the module swapped out.
Good idea. I'd been sticking with my dealer so far because I bought it there, they run a better operation overall than the store thats more local to me, and they'd been familiar with the issue up to this point.

They've claimed to had updated amplifier firmware and the last two times I picked the car up, the sound was...not as bad. Muted. But still there. In both cases, after a week or two, it returned to full annoyance.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
Oil Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
I would try unplugging the microphones in the doors. It is documented elsewhere here.
It may come to that, but I think it's my last resort option. I did read a thread where an owner disconnected the ANC mics, but doing so disabled the cross-traffic sensors and might have had an impact on the overall sound of the stereo system.

I'm still in "I paid good money for something that should be right, so make it right" mode.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
AndyUK

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post
It may come to that, but I think it's my last resort option. I did read a thread where an owner disconnected the ANC mics, but doing so disabled the cross-traffic sensors and might have had an impact on the overall sound of the stereo system.

I'm still in "I paid good money for something that should be right, so make it right" mode.
if you disconnect the entire connector from the amp in the trunk then thats true, if you just disconnect the ANC mic wires then you keep cross traffic and it will have no other effect on the sound system
AndyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
if you disconnect the entire connector from the amp in the trunk then thats true, if you just disconnect the ANC mic wires then you keep cross traffic and it will have no other effect on the sound system
anyone have a diagram of which wires are the mic wires?