Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-27-2022, 09:56 AM   #1
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Questions about buying a ZL1 from Canada

I’m looking at buying a very nice low mileage ZL1 that originally came from Canada. What do I need to make sure it’s correct, particularly in regards to the gauges and instrumentation?
Is there anything special I need to do to convert the readings from metric to English units?
Thanks!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Anyone? One member PMd me and said that I may want to reconsider buying a car previously sold new in Canada. Does anyone have any information on that particular issue?
Old 08-28-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
gs-63

Drives: Camaro
There is no reason not buy a Canadian Camaro. All gen.5 Camaro were
built in Canada. So that guy does'nt know what he is talking about. About the gauges those on the floor are useless as they are too low. You can set your
DIC and the HUD to show US numbers. The tach. is the same either US or
metric.
gs-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:03 PM   #4
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-63 View Post
built in Canada. So that guy does'nt know what he is talking about. About the gauges those on the floor are useless as they are too low. You can set your
metric.
My thoughts too since the car was built there. But I just want to be sure there’s no issue especially with the gauges and speedo.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:05 AM   #5
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
I’m looking at buying a very nice low mileage ZL1 that originally came from Canada. What do I need to make sure it’s correct, particularly in regards to the gauges and instrumentation?
Is there anything special I need to do to convert the readings from metric to English units?
Thanks!
They have made everything dual KMH/MPH

Like GA 63 said there is nothing to worry about on the instrumentation side.

I found this for you:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/archiv...ada-to-the-us/
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #6
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Thanks! So the needle/analog speedometer will revert to 200 mph top speed then?
Old 08-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #7
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Well an issue has surfaced.
The analog speedo gauge was changed out - but to a 160 mph unit!
So I’ve asked the dealer to correct that. We’ll see.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #8
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs-63 View Post
metric.
Ok I was not going to bring it up here on this board for everyone to see so that is why I sent a pm to the OP. So lets see where this goes. Now I am only talking from my experience. I bought a used 2015 ZL1 from a dealer in Ohio and I did not think a ZL1 Camaro being sold new in Canada would be a big deal so I bought the car. About a year and a half later I got the idea I was wanting to buy a hellcat so I went to a dealer that had one and was going to trade my ZL1 in on it. My friend who works there told me about the car so after we talked they [the new car manager] went in and pulled a car fax on my car and then came back at me and told me they did not want my camaro at all because it was sold new in Canada. They finally said they would give me 23 grand for my car but they again said they really did not want it. I told them they were crazy then left. OK now I have a very good friend who owns a chevy store so I went to him and ask him about this and he told me the same. Dealers do not want cars sold new from Canada and I ask him why. He told me he did not really know why except dealers just do not want them and customers who would want to see a car fax on a used car would not buy them either. So that is what I told the OP. Now I did luck out when cars during this crazy time we all have had during covid I did end up selling my car to a dealer. So as far as I am concerned I will never by another vehicle sold new or used in Canada.
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
GSF600

Drives: Camaro 2SS-RS convertible
Canadian spec Camaro

Hi
I have a Canadian spec 2011 Camaro SS convertible that was purchased new in USA from a Chevy dealer. I have the original window sticker showing the selling dealer . Not sure the history why car was sold by an American dealer to a Canadian resident , but car has metric gauges just like any other Canadian built , sold in Canada Camaro. Anybody ever seen this before ?
GSF600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 12:30 PM   #10
Raven87
C'mon- really?

I was glad Bigtime53 PMd me. And the ironic thing is that the dealer I’m trying to buy the ZL1 from is also in Ohio. But there is a problem that it was not changed to a 200 MPH gauge and only has a 160 mph unit.
Not happy with that especially for the price they want.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Ok I was not going to bring it up here on this board for everyone to see so that is why I sent a pm to the OP. So lets see where this goes. Now I am only talking from my experience. I bought a used 2015 ZL1 from a dealer in Ohio and I did not think a ZL1 Camaro being sold new in Canada would be a big deal so I bought the car. About a year and a half later I got the idea I was wanting to buy a hellcat so I went to a dealer that had one and was going to trade my ZL1 in on it. My friend who works there told me about the car so after we talked they [the new car manager] went in and pulled a car fax on my car and then came back at me and told me they did not want my camaro at all because it was sold new in Canada. They finally said they would give me 23 grand for my car but they again said they really did not want it. I told them they were crazy then left. OK now I have a very good friend who owns a chevy store so I went to him and ask him about this and he told me the same. Dealers do not want cars sold new from Canada and I ask him why. He told me he did not really know why except dealers just do not want them and customers who would want to see a car fax on a used car would not buy them either. So that is what I told the OP. Now I did luck out when cars during this crazy time we all have had during covid I did end up selling my car to a dealer. So as far as I am concerned I will never by another vehicle sold new or used in Canada.
I remember you saying this and also a member saying the GM dealer REFUSED to work on a Canada sold car. It sorta makes sense computer flash different probably due to metric and whatnot. I'm going to mostly pass on a Canada car unless the deal is just TOO good. I didn't post because I didn't feel like proving or arguing details
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF600 View Post
Hi
I have a Canadian spec 2011 Camaro SS convertible that was purchased new in USA from a Chevy dealer. I have the original window sticker showing the selling dealer . Not sure the history why car was sold by an American dealer to a Canadian resident , but car has metric gauges just like any other Canadian built , sold in Canada Camaro. Anybody ever seen this before ?
As far as I know you cannot legally import a brand new vehicle into Canada.

The US dealer could put some miles on it and sell it as used but new sales are forbidden.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote