Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 03-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #29
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Oh man! This gave me a sick feeling. I'm so sorry this happened. I know you just got the 1LE and now this!

I constantly watch my mirrors for the traffic behind me because of this world of inattentive and distracted drivers. I just wrapped up the repairs on my wife's SUV that was rear ended to the tune of $5800.00. Now I am fighting with the at fault insurance company on the diminished value. Their first offer was an offensive and rejected amount of $500.00.

If your car is deemed repairable - press the issue of diminished value as that might push the vehicle into the total loss column.

I wish you the best and I understand your concerns about the hidden damage - especially the electronic stuff.
He will also receive $$$ for pain and suffering. But bottom line is he walked away and will heal.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #30
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
Once the car gets fixed you are entitled to dimished value. These guys have helped a few owners on this forum. Zb negotiations. 516-428-2392. Ask for John. Tell him Eddie k sent you.
Thanks very much for the encouragement. We aren't going to let this one slide. We lost a good friend who was rear ended in a similar situation where the offending vehicle ended up on the roof of the car crushing the driver. So, it could have been much worse. God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryssm View Post
I'm sorry you were in a crash, but thankful you are alright!

For comparison: I was rear-ended toward the end of 2017 by a car doing 40mph, while sitting at a light, also. His car's damage was a nightmare, but my Camaro held up exceptionally well; very similar in damage to yours, in fact. Anyway, they wound up repairing mine, with a grand total of around $11,000 in damage. I sought diminished value, and received that, as well. Granted, mine is not a 1LE or an SS, so numbers will vary, obviously.

The tow truck driver said he thought the Camaro must be built with a lot of strength to absorb that much force. I'm guessing that diminished value has to be an additive to the cost of repair? If so, would any of that be included in an insurance company's determination to repair rather than salvage the car.

Well wishes, and I hope this all gets resolved soon enough!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
They might anyways. Every car I've rebuilt now has had both fire if any airbag deployed, even if a passenger wasn't in the car.
You seem to have a lot of experience at these repairs. I am very curious why the air bags didn't go off. The crash did trigger a call from OnStar. Someone suggested that they might have some indication of what the G-force may have been. I'm going to call them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
3,500 isn't close. Airbags not going off is a good sign for it's future though. The smoke is a question mark.

Here's based on a repair estimate for another 2018 SS 1LE:
S1 86 102708 MCH REMOVE/REPLACE Rear Exhaust Muffler -M 84314681 2,440.24 1.6

So I was off by a couple hundred.. it's $2,440.
I'll forgive you for the error, especially since it's in my favor. The tow guy said the exhaust pipes were buckled up in the middle of the car and pushing up to the underside of the car. With that much force, the damage may have gone all the way to the exhaust manifolds???

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
He will also receive $$$ for pain and suffering. But bottom line is he walked away and will heal.
Very nice words and I appreciate that perspective. Romans 8 has words that say something like: "And we know that all things come together for good to those who love the Lord!" We may never know why these kind of things happen, but I've found out in my lifetime that tragedies sometimes happen to prevent a greater loss.

I can't thank all of you enough for the kind and caring words. Car guys and girls are GREAT people. Obviously, we will have to wait for the estimates, but I can tell you, I'm going to be fairly vociferous about every detail of the estimate and the insurance agency's offer to settle.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1

Last edited by ParisTNDude; 03-07-2019 at 11:11 PM.
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #31
cryssm

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
The tow truck driver said he thought the Camaro must be built with a lot of strength to absorb that much force. I'm guessing that diminished value has to be an additive to the cost of repair? If so, would any of that be included in an insurance company's determination to repair rather than salvage the car.
He's got that right!

The diminished value claim was filed after all repairs were completed, and approved by me. As far as I experienced, the diminished value had little to no bearing on whether the insurance company decided to repair or total my car (they weren't convinced the value had diminished at all). In my opinion, it seems the insurance companies are not fond of diminished value claims. If you seek diminished value, be prepared for the insurance company to offer an almost insultingly low number. I had to do some homework in proving the value of my car was diminished beyond what they believed it was. I ended up settling for more than originally offered, but less than I feel was justified; as they stated it would require litigation to award anything further.

Quote:
I can't thank all of you enough for the kind and caring words. Car guys are GREAT people.
And girls You're very welcome!

Last edited by cryssm; 03-07-2019 at 12:09 PM.
cryssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #32
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
Are the airbags supposed to deploy from a rear end collision? That would not be logical.
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #33
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
It seems the OP is trying to convince us the car should be totaled. If that's what one truly wants then I hope the best. I personally don't think it will.

The burning smell could have been from the exhaust being bent and pushed against a harness somewhere under the car.

I also highly doubt the car was hit at 40mph.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #34
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxcc6spd View Post
Are the airbags supposed to deploy from a rear end collision? That would not be logical.
Direct rear collision, generally not. Any sideways or 3/4 type impact and they will. (the side impact bags specifically). However in wrecked Camaro's I've seen the airbag strategy seems to side with safety by deploying far more bags than needed. Fairly minor left fender impacts and I've seen the leg/knee bags, front bags, side impact bags, etc all deployed. That crash on many cars would deploy the occupied seat front bags only. Seems like this is really just a newer car thing though, the testing standards change and the new offset tests likely mandated a much more aggressive deployment strategy.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #35
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
So often I see people texting, watching movies, or doing who knows what else when they are driving - I always worry about getting rear-ended by these people. Of course we don't know what actually happened in the OPs accident, but cell phone use by the pickup driver has to be a significant possibility.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #36
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
He's got that right!

The diminished value claim was filed after all repairs were completed, and approved by me. As far as I experienced, the diminished value had little to no bearing on whether the insurance company decided to repair or total my car (they weren't convinced the value had diminished at all). In my opinion, it seems the insurance companies are not fond of diminished value claims. If you seek diminished value, be prepared for the insurance company to offer an almost insultingly low number. I had to do some homework in proving the value of my car was diminished beyond what they believed it was. I ended up settling for more than originally offered, but less than I feel was justified; as they stated it would require litigation to award anything further.

And girls You're very welcome!
Please forgive me...I wasn't thinking and you're right, there are some awesome girls who drive and enjoy Camaros. I am going to edit that post tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
It seems the OP is trying to convince us the car should be totaled. If that's what one truly wants then I hope the best. I personally don't think it will.

The burning smell could have been from the exhaust being bent and pushed against a harness somewhere under the car.

I also highly doubt the car was hit at 40mph.
The smoke was literally boiling out from under the dash. It was so bad that, as bad as I felt, I climbed over the center console and got out of the car on the passenger side. Maybe I'm paranoid, but a Corvette forum member had something short out under his dash and his car was never right after that. Things would work and then they wouldn't and some electronic gadgetry never worked again.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #37
cryssm

Quote:
Please forgive me...I wasn't thinking and you're right, there are some awesome girls who drive and enjoy Camaros. I am going to edit that post tonight...

No worries!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #38
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
No worries!
Fixed it! Thanks for pointing out that inexcusable mistake.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #39
cryssm

Quote:
Fixed it! Thanks for pointing out that inexcusable mistake.

Don't beat yourself up over it—it's all good! and for the edit/inclusion!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #40
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Big bummer.

I'd want to unload the car - repairs are never like new...did the quarters get tweaked at all?
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #41
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I'm betting those quarters are tweaked. Looks like there was some deformation in the C-pillar at the bottom of the roof line. Shame. Gorgeous car.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #42
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Big bummer.

I'd want to unload the car - repairs are never like new...did the quarters get tweaked at all?
I really don't want it back to be very honest. The electrical issues are the most disturbing...seems you never are able to get everything to work right. The right side looks like it was tweaked a bit. Not sure what the trunk floor looks like, but I'm guessing it's messed up. I would venture that the battery was damaged causing a short and the subsequent smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinQueen View Post
I'm betting those quarters are tweaked. Looks like there was some deformation in the C-pillar at the bottom of the roof line. Shame. Gorgeous car.
If they total it, I will be looking for another just like it. Been perusing the for sale threads and there are several. Wouldn't mind upgrading to a ZL1, but they may be beyond what I want to pay. It was only a month old to me and I really didn't get to drive it more than 3 or 4 short trips...it rained nearly every day since I brought it home. I bought a bunch of bolt ons for it and some sit in the garage waiting to be installed.