Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
kaz1961

Drives: 2018 RS
Will GM be replacing the fluid on a tranny that hasnt experienced the shutter?
kaz1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #16
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
This entire thing is out of control, and to be honest, it would probably be cheaper for GM to replace the entire trans with the A10 for cars that have the issue instead of multiple services that include flushes, TC replacement and the inevitable lawsuit they may have on every customer that has issues after the warranty is expired.

I would think that even once the warranty is up, people will win lawsuits based on the inability for GM to fix the root problem.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Hagels316

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Not exactly correct. GM started pulsing the TCC solenoid in alignment with the deactivated cylinders to mask the natural jittery feeling and pronounced transitions in and out of AFM modes. All the damage is a result of the pulsating lockup of the TCC. A tune alone will actually rid you of the problem if you disable AFM. If there was a way for us to remove the solenoid pulse procedure from the AFM mode of the 8L TCM it would feel just like a L99 5th gen did and we wouldn't be having dirty fluid issues.
I really don't think the TC problem is caused by AFM (or at least not totally). I have had AFM completely tuned out and actually started getting the shudder afterwards. There is something else going on here or multiple things. Apparently zeroing out the slip tables in all gears can mitigate the issue quite a bit or almost eliminate it.

My solution is to just install an aftermarket TC to go along with an H/C build. Tired of dealing with it and the dealer not able to "reproduce it".

Last edited by Hagels316; 01-04-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Hagels316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 PM   #18
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
About 9 months after I bought mine I noticed after I took it out of park and into drive, it would lurch forward a little during the first 30 or so yards of driving.

This past October my transmission completely gave up at a 4-way intersection and wouldn't shift out of first. Check engine light came on and stayed on after several restarts. Dealership had it for 4 days, wouldn't provide a rental and just did a reset on the car's computer according to GM's recommended "fix" procedure.

About a couple weeks later I started noticing a slight shudder on the highway doing 70 and up hills at around 40-50 mph and it's steadily gotten worse since. It was at about 22k miles when it started doing that.

Something else that's odd is I back out of my driveway at home so after I start it, I drive in reverse about 15-20 yards. When I put it in drive and start moving forward, it doesn't do that lurch. I don't know why driving a little ways in reverse would alleviate that over eagerness in the transmission but it does.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #19
Zrestau

Drives: 17 camaro fifty anni ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chief View Post
About 9 months after I bought mine I noticed after I took it out of park and into drive, it would lurch forward a little during the first 30 or so yards of driving.

This past October my transmission completely gave up at a 4-way intersection and wouldn't shift out of first. Check engine light came on and stayed on after several restarts. Dealership had it for 4 days, wouldn't provide a rental and just did a reset on the car's computer according to GM's recommended "fix" procedure.

About a couple weeks later I started noticing a slight shudder on the highway doing 70 and up hills at around 40-50 mph and it's steadily gotten worse since. It was at about 22k miles when it started doing that.

Something else that's odd is I back out of my driveway at home so after I start it, I drive in reverse about 15-20 yards. When I put it in drive and start moving forward, it doesn't do that lurch. I don't know why driving a little ways in reverse would alleviate that over eagerness in the transmission but it does.
Mine did the lurch forward from park to drive as well and it went away after they messed with the computer and did the flush. Car still shutters though...
Zrestau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #20
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
The article says that over 90% of A8 owners have had no issue. I find that really hard to believe..

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #21
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
The A8 problem is one reason I got rid of my 2017 C7 and got a ZL1 A10.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
ste1n

Drives: 2019 2SS
I have a 19 2SS with 10 speed. After reading this thread I started thinking that I should buy an AFM disabler.

Would it be good idea as preventative maintenance?
ste1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #23
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by ste1n View Post
I have a 19 2SS with 10 speed. After reading this thread I started thinking that I should buy an AFM disabler.

Would it be good idea as preventative maintenance?

Probably wouldn't hurt. I've seen other people say they have done that.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #24
Dudman

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss convertible
Well I love my 2017 ss vert but I’m not really feeling confident about this fix. My car has 12k miles on it and I’ve had the other flush and it lasted about 2 weeks before shudder came back. Dealer told me that the TC would be next step, then said the shudder came back on those so GM cancelled that fix, and now we are back to a fluid change approach. I’d be afraid buy one with the A10 now... could just be a matter of time. Maybe need to go back to the manual transmission but that gets old too.

Come on GM you are making it hard for me to hang with you and I’ve owned 6 vettes, 2 Camaros, an 2008 Avalanche, and 2017 Silverado in just the last 20 years.
Dudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
The article says that over 90% of A8 owners have had no issue. I find that really hard to believe..
There is a poll thread around here showing 70-80% have had it. Now the poll may be skewed some as more people post a complaint then a compliment, but to say 90% have not had it is a lie.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541564
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:36 PM   #26
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
There is a poll thread around here showing 70-80% have had it. Now the poll may be skewed some as more people post a complaint then a compliment, but to say 90% have not had it is a lie.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541564
To give you an idea as to how rampant this issue is... I took my 2SS into the dealer and told them:

Me: "Hi, I have a shudder whenever Im doing between 40 and 80 under light acc--"
Service Adviser: *takes keys*... It'll be ready tomorrow afternoon.
Me: There seems to be a TSB-
Service Adviser: Mmhmm
Me: Oh... I guess you guys are pretty familiar with this issue.
Service Adviser: Ooooohh yes....
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #27
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Quote:
Super mega load of bullshit. I have 2 service managers and a GM dealership owner in my family. GM is going above and beyond to make this problem seem smaller than what it really is. They have done the math, to fix this problem correctly would have them begging for another bailout from the taxpayers.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #28
zag

Drives: 2018 camaro 2 ss
Everybody has focused on the oil. The article also said there would be a tool kit from Bosch. I wonder what the tool kit will consist of and do?
zag is offline   Reply With Quote