Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Rudolpho

Drives: '18 2SS 1LE Garnet Red
Moving to the UK, know of any requirements?

So I'm in the military and PCS'ing to the UK and was curious if I'd have to modify anything to meet UK standards. I know I'll probably swap out my summer only tires for some All-Terrains but other than that I should be good? I'm not sure and finding requirements other than it needs to be very very VERY clean before shipping is actually difficult.

Car:
2018 2SS 1LE

Thank you for your time!
Rudolpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
If it's anything like mainland Europe you really shouldn't have to do anything to it (other than learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road haha). I know in Germany our cars are just registered as "international" or something like that so it doesn't have to meet the European regulations, basically just has to pass a safety inspection. I'm moving to Germany (USAF) in December so I'll be dealing with the process soon.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
Will need to pass an IVA test in the UK. Modifications will include:
1.turning signals/indicators viewable from a 45 degree andgle. Can drill a hole in the wing (easy but doesn't look good) or can put them in the side mirrors (can have a few individual leds put in, looks much better)
2. Headlight adapting to dip to the left, not right
3. Rear light cluster adapted to flash amber for turn signals and a rear, red fog light (can use switchbacks or install the eu reverse/fog light in the rear valance)

There are companies that can do the conversion for you and get it tested and registered but all of the parts required are easy to source online (easiest in the US) and definitely in the scope of DIY.

Originally intended to import from the US and did a lot of research into the mods needed but eventually found a good EU spec camaro in the UK.
Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
Will need to pass an IVA test in the UK. Modifications will include:
1.turning signals/indicators viewable from a 45 degree andgle. Can drill a hole in the wing (easy but doesn't look good) or can put them in the side mirrors (can have a few individual leds put in, looks much better)
2. Headlight adapting to dip to the left, not right
3. Rear light cluster adapted to flash amber for turn signals and a rear, red fog light (can use switchbacks or install the eu reverse/fog light in the rear valance)

There are companies that can do the conversion for you and get it tested and registered but all of the parts required are easy to source online (easiest in the US) and definitely in the scope of DIY.

Originally intended to import from the US and did a lot of research into the mods needed but eventually found a good EU spec camaro in the UK.
This is all very good information, but he may not have to do this stuff. I'm assuming you are a UK citizen right? Well US Citizens living in the EU and/or UK don't always have to comply with all of their regulations, though like I said it could be different in the UK vs the rest of the EU.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Uk2019
UK2019

In order to register the car in the UK it has to pass the IVA inspection. In order to pass the inspection it will require those modifications. The only exception to this would be using the vehicle in the UK for a (very) short period, as one would whilst on vacation, but the vehicle would need to be registered in the US and insured in the US for use in the UK. A UK car insurance company won't insure a car for UK roads that doesn't meet the requirements.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Uk2019
UK2019

With the exception of the headlight beam direction, the other modifications will not need to be reversed if taking the vehicle back to the US and all of the mods are fairly cheap, easy and quick to do.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
Gary H

Drives: Camaro ZL1
There's no need to do anything with the headlights as they are already a flat beam.
Whether or not you require side indicators is down to the IVA tester - I'm hoping to get away with my front markers flashing as indicators. If that doesn't cut it, then one small LED in the mirror housing, bottom outer edge, as the IVA states it needs to visible from 15 degrees from the rear of the car.
It will also need a fog light - easiest method is to wire up the central brake light with an IVA approved dash-mounted switch.
The EU Spec cars have a low central fog/reversing light with the normal reversing lights converted to indicators. The IVA is now a little funny about dual purposed bulbs.
The EU spec cars also have indicators built into their mirror housing but they are HUGE and fugly...but they do manually fold in.

Velossa intake, Rotofab, Mamo TB, Custom ported NX Lid & Jokerz Full tilt ported LT4 charger, 3 port CoolingMist Meth injection - ATI 15% lower pulley, E2X CC, TSP ceramic coated longtubes, de-cat and Borla 60608 to NPP box, JRE tune, BMR rear control & trailing arms, lock-out kit, lowering springs and front strut brace, Custom carbon trim interior, Xpel ultimate front PPF and Prestige window tint with Chameleon Windscreen tint...ever evolving...
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Uk2019
UK2019

When I asked an IVA tester about beam pattern they advised that even with a flat pattern, they still need modification as illustrated in the attached picture. Not a big deal if they do require modification, none of the mods are prohibitively expensive.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Agree - UK is different than Germany. I lived there for 3 years with a STI. I used stick on LED lights on the rear of the front fenders - tapped into the turn signals. The turn signals were already amber (can't be red like the Camaros). My foglight was similar to UK Subaru's...disconnected two of the rear brake lights and rewired one for a switch 'fog' light. I also added small black out tape to the headlights to angle them the opposite of the US. When I was there, no winter tire requirement like Germany (actual snow tires).

Obviously the Camaro owners in UK have the best info.

Good luck - there are many road circuits in UK too! An easy 10 within 2 hours of RAF Lakenheath, for instance.

Note, was just at Lakenheath...nothing, but 90 octane! Believe they offer accommodation off base for 93 octane...