Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Another AWE exhaust review

I just installed my AWE exhaust and I must say, it is LOUD.

I have the resonated touring with long tube headers and high flow cats. I was worried this combination would have made it too quiet but hell no, it's VERY loud at start up and VERY loud driving around. I like it, but it was surprising. It's much louder than the NPP with open valves and decatted (which I was before).

The good news is that is it 100% drone free, once you pick up speed and go into the upper gears, the loudness tones down and the "bassyness" of the exhaust goes away and quiets down to near stock level. Highway cruising is pretty quiet.

Honestly though, I can't can't imagine how people could live with the track exhaust. It must be insanely loud.

Anyways, I'll post up some pics soon.

Day 2 edit: I drove it a lot more today and honestly I can't believe how quiet it gets while cruising so I'm super happy with that. Cold starts are still insanely loud, but driving it around is not too bad. All in all, I'm really happy with it.

Last edited by GT-ER; 03-20-2019 at 10:35 AM.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
GT-ER

Here are some pics...
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
I just installed my AWE exhaust and I must say, it is LOUD.

I have the resonated touring with long tube headers and high flow cats. I was worried this combination would have made it too quiet but hell no, it's VERY loud at start up and VERY loud driving around. I like it, but it was surprising. It's much louder than the NPP with open valves and decatted (which I was before).

The good news is that is it 100% drone free, once you pick up speed and go into the upper gears, the loudness tones down and the "bassyness" of the exhaust goes away and quiets down to near stock level. Highway cruising is pretty quiet.

Honestly though, I can't can't imagine how people could live with the track exhaust. It must be insanely loud.

Anyways, I'll post up some pics soon.

It sure is PRETTY....DAMN I can't wait to get mine installed in mid April. I went with the Touring non resonated BUT I still have the stock headers.

I am so glad you validated that it is 100% drone free. I wasn't worried necessarily given all the other reviews but its nice to hear anyways.

I am assuming you did not have to use the paste??? I know the exhaust is supposed to fit like a glove and hoping you had no issues?

Sounds like you are very happy and I am sure I will be as well...Christmas can't come soon enough or should I say Spring!!!!!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
GT-ER

No paste was used. The fit was top notch, but I guess that at the price point I would expect no less. If you still have the factory primary cats, I doubt you'll miss not having resonators.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Canadian ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
No paste was used. The fit was top notch, but I guess that at the price point I would expect no less. If you still have the factory primary cats, I doubt you'll miss not having resonators.
Good to know about the paste and I agree paying top $$$ I expect nothing but the best.

Yes I will and still have the factory primary cats.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I wouldn't hesitate to go with AWE if they made an NPP version....
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Canadian ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to go with AWE if they made an NPP version....
Just curious why you care about still wanting the NPP feature?

I believe if you were to go with any after market exhaust you would lose the NPP feature regardless?

Here is a good explanation:

I am personally looking for a deeper tone and little more grunt/muscle from my exhaust hence why I went with AWE. Also I am wanting the snap crackle and pop when I am down shifting..I'll get that too!

I am in Sport mode all the time so I am not going to miss the NPP feature other than the fact my neighbors will hear me more now upon start up.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
Just curious why you care about still wanting the NPP feature?

I believe if you were to go with any after market exhaust you would lose the NPP feature regardless?

Here is a good explanation:

I am personally looking for a deeper tone and little more grunt/muscle from my exhaust hence why I went with AWE. Also I am wanting the snap crackle and pop when I am down shifting..I'll get that too!

I am in Sport mode all the time so I am not going to miss the NPP feature other than the fact my neighbors will hear me more now upon start up.
I was in the same boat as you wanting a more deep, throaty sound which is very different than most of the aftermarket offerings (corsa, borla, etc..) and I also wanted to keep the NPP.

So I went with the Stainless Works 3" catback WITH NPP, it ticks all the boxes for me. I will say after riding in my buddy's car which has the AWE exhaust it would definitely be my #1 choice if they had an option with NPP, but I'm totally happy with my SW system.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
Canadian ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I was in the same boat as you wanting a more deep, throaty sound which is very different than most of the aftermarket offerings (corsa, borla, etc..) and I also wanted to keep the NPP.

So I went with the Stainless Works 3" catback WITH NPP, it ticks all the boxes for me. I will say after riding in my buddy's car which has the AWE exhaust it would definitely be my #1 choice if they had an option with NPP, but I'm totally happy with my SW system.
Makes sense and I completely respect where you are coming from. At the end of the day it sounds like we will BOTH be happy campers!!
Old 03-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
GT-ER

I had the stainless works exhaust for 1 day and ditched it. I felt the NPP was almost useless on it as I could barely tell the difference and the drone was horrible. I was catless at the time so maybe that makes all the difference.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
what headers do you have and thats a nice looking exhaust!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I’m considering the AWE setup for my ZLE. It sure looks like a million bucks installed.

As far as the NPP, I’m ablittle confused. I pulled the fuse on my car to keep the valves constantly open BUT in highway driving after a certain amount of throttle input I hear a deeper tone in the exhaust.

I’m not sure where this deeper change in tone come from if the fuse is pulled.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Alanarchy

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS NGM, 2015 Murano Plt
Love that exhaust. It`s been since mid December since I`ve had it installed and I`m loving every minute of it. Got the non-resonated Touring cat w/ black diamond tips.
Enjoy!
Alanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Is everyone universally not in love with the NPP? Like the idea but not the implementation by Chevy since it’s ugly suitcases? I’m figuring out what I want and I was going to order NPP because it sounded great on the SS I heard it on. But I’d rather save the $900 and buy after market if it’s not worth it. In videos it sounds great but I’ve seen videos for the Borla too and that’s much louder. Is everyone just going for more noise?
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote