Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-18-2023, 09:48 PM   #15
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyB View Post
Well got my shipping information so patiently waiting. Got the JMS bap hooked up today so I'm ready for the rest of the work.
Good luck man, I think when you get it all figured out and dialed in your gonna be haulin the mail. Congrats on the purchase of a great mod.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #16
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Had a talk with my tuner and they aren't too high on the reflex kit. They did one for a customer a while back and said they were hard to tune to get them to ramp up easily its like a straight hit once in boost. I have been reading everyone's posts you all have mentioned that you have to play with the curve to get it to ease in but what are your thoughts?
Old 11-22-2023, 04:38 AM   #17
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Had a talk with my tuner and they aren't too high on the reflex kit. They did one for a customer a while back and said they were hard to tune to get them to ramp up easily its like a straight hit once in boost. I have been reading everyone's posts you all have mentioned that you have to play with the curve to get it to ease in but what are your thoughts?
I disagree. Yeah it takes some work upfront. But once you get it dialed in the reflex controller does closed loop fueling correction now.

You have to setup the cars ECU to never have positive long term fuel trims when going into PE mode. Then also set it up so so that you have plenty of fuel room for ethanol % increases and weather(meaning DI spray window SOI-EOI). And then you dial in the port system similarly as you would if running meth as a fuel source. It does take a little bit of a dance between tuning the ECU and the Reflex but I wouldn't call it "too hard" by any means.

Maybe the tuner didn't want to take the extra time to deal with it. Maybe they haven't used the newer closed loop WOT feature. Maybe they know about the DSX Kit that is coming out and prefer to wait and see if that is easier to work with.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:04 AM   #18
laynlo15

Quote:
I thought you already ordered the kit? Some on this board like to tinker for perfection, they are also amateur tuners like me that are still learning and don't do it for a living, King is the only regular tuner on the board that I know of, yes we have vendors that tune professionally. Mike wired mine up in the Drury in parking lot in a couple hours and did logs on I65 the night before the LS Fest in 2022 and I was drag racing the next day, we did have to do some addition tuning later because we went to more boost. If you do a Holley you'll spend twice as much on the kit and it's not easy to tune from what I understand, if you do a DSX you'll be buying something that's new to the market, I've met Dave from Dsx at the track in St Louis a couple times. Really smart guy with great products. I'd bet some will have tuning issues with his at some point also. If you look at the shops that use THPSI regularly like Nickey Performance, New Era Performance, they are using this kit on a regular basis with no issues as other big shops are, all tuning has a learning curve with new products, not sure how your tuner bases it on one tune for one customer. I bet when he as initially starting to tune he found some tunes harder than others because of different mods to the vehicle. Hey, I'm biased and as a disclaimer Mike has tuned both my Camaro's and he was my boss at Magnuson, but if was a bad product no matter the affiliation I wouldn't have used it or would I promote it.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff

Last edited by laynlo15; 11-22-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:34 AM   #19
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
You may be talking about RADZ methodology where he was learning a new tuning method.

For me it was really pretty straightforward.

All I can say, is if *I* could figure this out by myself, with only a little basic info from folks on this board, a true tuner should have no issues with it.

The ramp-in is a product of the MAF curve in both the Reflex and the ECU. The spreadsheet supplied by THPSI takes all the guesswork out really. It couldnt be more simple. Ok it COULD be more simple, but it wasnt hard thats for sure.

Theres about 1000-2000hz wide "blend range" built unto the spreadsheet were the DI tapers in less, and the reflex tapers in more. In my experience the "blend-over" happens in an area were you dont hang around much anyway. The blend-over happens on mine from about 8khz to 9.5khz and most part throttle is below 5-6khz with procharger, and WOT is 10khz and up. I suppose with road-style racing it might hang around in the blend area more where you are holding lower gears and feathering throttle, but even then its really not a problem because of the MAF math. The physical cross section where the MAF sits will affect the blend start point, with the 4" (i think) cross section of the PC intake tube being smaller than whats typical with a PD-style SC. I think on a PD the cutover starts around 6khz.

Maybe the DSX will be better/easier IDK, but the Reflex THPSI is not a hard cut into PI.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #20
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I thought you already ordered the kit? Some on this board like to tinker for perfection, they are also amateur tuners like me that are still learning and don't do it for a living, King is the only regular tuner on the board that I know of, yes we have vendors that tune professionally. Mike wired mine up in the Drury in parking lot in a couple hours and did logs on I65 the night before the LS Fest in 2022 and I was drag racing the next day, we did have to do some addition tuning later because we went to more boost. If you do a Holley you'll spend twice as much on the kit and it's not easy to tune from what I understand, if you do a DSX you'll be buying something that's new to the market, I've met Dave from Dsx at the track in St Louis a couple times. Really smart guy with great products. I'd bet some will have tuning issues with his at some point also. If you look at the shops that use THPSI regularly like Nickey Performance, New Era Performance, they are using this kit on a regular basis with no issues as other big shops are, all tuning has a learning curve with new products, not sure how your tuner bases it on one tune for one customer. I bet when he as initially starting to tune he found some tunes harder than others because of different mods to the vehicle. Hey, I'm biased and as a disclaimer Mike has tuned both my Camaro's and he was my boss at Magnuson, but if was a bad product no matter the affiliation I wouldn't have used it or would I promote it.
Oh yea should be here this coming Monday. Not changing my mind just asking questions since my go to is no longer an option. I'm kind of in your boat not really a tuner but willing to learn but I agree with you on your points.

Last edited by WiggyB; 11-22-2023 at 11:04 AM.
WiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:53 AM   #21
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
You may be talking about RADZ methodology where he was learning a new tuning method.

For me it was really pretty straightforward.

All I can say, is if *I* could figure this out by myself, with only a little basic info from folks on this board, a true tuner should have no issues with it.

The ramp-in is a product of the MAF curve in both the Reflex and the ECU. The spreadsheet supplied by THPSI takes all the guesswork out really. It couldnt be more simple. Ok it COULD be more simple, but it wasnt hard thats for sure.

Theres about 1000-2000hz wide "blend range" built unto the spreadsheet were the DI tapers in less, and the reflex tapers in more. In my experience the "blend-over" happens in an area were you dont hang around much anyway. The blend-over happens on mine from about 8khz to 9.5khz and most part throttle is below 5-6khz with procharger, and WOT is 10khz and up. I suppose with road-style racing it might hang around in the blend area more where you are holding lower gears and feathering throttle, but even then its really not a problem because of the MAF math. The physical cross section where the MAF sits will affect the blend start point, with the 4" (i think) cross section of the PC intake tube being smaller than whats typical with a PD-style SC. I think on a PD the cutover starts around 6khz.

Maybe the DSX will be better/easier IDK, but the Reflex THPSI is not a hard cut into PI.
Thanks this pretty much answers my question. I was kind of thinking that was the case but not knowing you won't unless you ask. I'm digging deeper into yours and laynlo15's threads for the next few days paying attention to what you guys have done. Not all cases are the same but being aware helps.
Old 11-22-2023, 11:12 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My case was complicated only in that hardly anyone, either, talks about it, or actually uses it.

I've come to the conclusion that the method I am using (and still, mostly, using) is, as far as I can tell, limited by the stock cam, and specifically - the fuel pump lobe. I'm updating my thread with my current findings and understanding, but, as already stated - that's more my method and combination more than anything, IMO. Any competent calibrator should be able to get this set-up going, and A LOT of information has been shared my MANY people in threads in this section.

IMO - if your tuner can't get the Reflex to work, I think you should reach out to a couple people here who can help. If you read what they post, you'll know who you can go to.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #23
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
My case was complicated only in that hardly anyone, either, talks about it, or actually uses it.

I've come to the conclusion that the method I am using (and still, mostly, using) is, as far as I can tell, limited by the stock cam, and specifically - the fuel pump lobe. I'm updating my thread with my current findings and understanding, but, as already stated - that's more my method and combination more than anything, IMO. Any competent calibrator should be able to get this set-up going, and A LOT of information has been shared my MANY people in threads in this section.

IMO - if your tuner can't get the Reflex to work, I think you should reach out to a couple people here who can help. If you read what they post, you'll know who you can go to.

I'm currently reading through your thread now. I think your situation is slightly different being a Zl1 (1 being the cam lobe) but same concept. Just paid closer attention to the other 2 being an SS like my setup. Either way each thread is showing me things to pay attention to so that's a big bonus.

If I haven't said it already thank you to the 3 of you and everyone that has offered some incite on how to approach the adjustments.

Last edited by WiggyB; 11-22-2023 at 11:56 AM.
WiggyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:11 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I'm currently reading through your thread now. I think your situation is slightly different being a Zl1 (1 being the cam lobe) but same concept. Just paid closer attention to the other 2 being an SS like my setup. Either way each thread is showing me things to pay attention to so that's a big bonus.

If I haven't said it already thank you to the 3 of you and everyone that has offered some incite on how to approach the adjustments.
Agreed. My point, as others, is that your set-up should totally be more than fine for the needs it looks like you have. And - the REFLEX should be pretty "easy" to integrate. You could spend a lot more to do what little you need to do, and with new stuff coming out, more options is never a bad thing.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #25
laynlo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Agreed. My point, as others, is that your set-up should totally be more than fine for the needs it looks like you have. And - the REFLEX should be pretty "easy" to integrate. You could spend a lot more to do what little you need to do, and with new stuff coming out, more options is never a bad thing.
Radz I was talking about your ass taking 2 years, 8 months, 7 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 4 seconds. I'm giving you 1 more year, 2 months, 6 days, 9 hours, 11 minutes and 32 seconds to finish. Can you do it Radz? Hee-Hee.
Old 11-22-2023, 03:18 PM   #26
jlaudio11

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I just realized you're in NC. Pray Performance might be someone for you to reach out to in regards to tuning. He does the conventional style of port add in, opposed to the way Radz28 and I do it. From our conversation he's been doing more and more of thpsi setups and having good success with them.
'94 Camaro Z28 6mt cc306 cam, 4:10's, longtubes with x pipe, getting an engine rebuild
jlaudio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 04:58 PM   #27
laynlo15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaudio11 View Post
I just realized you're in NC. Pray Performance might be someone for you to reach out to in regards to tuning. He does the conventional style of port add in, opposed to the way Radz28 and I do it. From our conversation he's been doing more and more of thpsi setups and having good success with them.
He's been buying them for quite sometime now. I think he's even working on one for his wife Zl1. He's got it figured out.
Old 11-22-2023, 07:45 PM   #28
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaudio11 View Post
I talked to Pray today and they won't do it unless I'm forged and at the moment that's not in my plans. Trust me once I found out they were selling them I was sending smoke signals to them.