Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
bluetooth phone/mp3 question with camaro

I know you can sync up a bluetooth phone to work with the audio system but it doesn't say anywhere about playing mp3 music from same phone anywhere. Can you play music from your phone wireless or does it not work that way. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I did order the conn/conv pack with my car.
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
baumy2eagle
Baumy2eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 96 GMC Jimmy
Send a message via Yahoo to baumy2eagle
i've read multiple answers saying you can't, but if you have the iphone it might work...I found this in another thread
"The first gen iPhones don't support music over Bluetooth. It has to be a 3G or 3GS for that to work. There are some Bluetooth software updates coming to the module, so that should hopefully improve the operation."

not saying you have an iphone but it gives u hope that they are trying to do it
4200- 9/09/09
Brian Dean Baumgartner
voice over artist for movie trailers
imaging and liners for music
KIXS 108 Morning Show
http://www.myspace.com/baumy2eagleproductions

http://www.kixs.com
baumy2eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Any phone that supports A2DP Bluetooth will work. Any recent Windows Mobile phone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Tmobile/google G1, or iPhone with OS 3.0 all will work. You go to the Aux mode and then hit the Menu button and then follow the menus. You control the music from your phone. On my Windows Mobile phone it's not just the media player but any/every sound that comes through.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
The bluetooth phone will play Pandora or Slacker mobile though. Kinda like Sirius XM for free.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
It plays my storm, but you have to register the phone a second time. Its kind of annoying. But you can control tracks by the steering wheel, but no search.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 AM   #6
stet

Drives: Victory Red 2SS/RS
I was able to get this to work with my BlackBerry 8830. You have to set up a second bluetooth connection "GMusicConnect". I had to start the BlackBerry media play and select a song to play. The Camaro didn't perform any indexing like it would for a USB memory stick but I could change tracks using the vehicle controls if I was playing an album. To change to a different band or album I had to use the BlackBerry. I wasn't impressed with the sound quality, it sounded like the music was being compressed too much to broadcast over bluetooth.
stet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stet View Post
I wasn't impressed with the sound quality, it sounded like the music was being compressed too much to broadcast over bluetooth.
Yeah this really depends on the sending device and how it is encoding the music for the BT connection. Some devices do a better job than others, thanks Bluetooth!

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #8
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
I paired up my Iphone 3G with 3.0 last night. No control of the music from the car....all music playing functions had to be done on the phone.

Disappointed because I'm getting tired of plugging/unplugging it in

Get my PDIM update tomorrow at the dealer, so hopefully there will be some improvement.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
I paired up my Iphone 3G with 3.0 last night. No control of the music from the car....all music playing functions had to be done on the phone.

Disappointed because I'm getting tired of plugging/unplugging it in

Get my PDIM update tomorrow at the dealer, so hopefully there will be some improvement.
No, there won't be any improvement on the Bluetooth operation with the iPhone. Apple chose not to support next track / previous track and keep it simple. They may be adding this feature in the future, but at least right now a PDIM update will not change anything.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 AM   #10
badkarma

Sorry, wasn't saying I expected improvement to the bluetooth functions, just frustrated with the unit not detecting my iphone half the time. Hoping the update will help with that.

Recently, music from the iphone through the usb has been skipping (like hitting a bump on the older CD players) occasionally. Also sometimes the unit will detect the iphone and start playing....but with no volume.

that's the type of stuff I'm hoping for improvement
Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
codeman71
GM Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
Sorry, wasn't saying I expected improvement to the bluetooth functions, just frustrated with the unit not detecting my iphone half the time. Hoping the update will help with that.

Recently, music from the iphone through the usb has been skipping (like hitting a bump on the older CD players) occasionally. Also sometimes the unit will detect the iphone and start playing....but with no volume.

that's the type of stuff I'm hoping for improvement
Yeah there were improvements to the USB and the Bluetooth parts so that operation should be improved from what you're already seeing. I don't know for sure about the skipping though...I know other iPhone users have talked about something similar. I'm not sure where that issue is coming from, the iPhone or the PDIM. If the update improves things, I guess we'll know the answer to that question

Have you already talked to your dealer about the update and they know where to go to get it? If not, it looks like it's taking other users like 3 or 4 hours to get everything done on the car

Old 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
Yeah there were improvements to the USB and the Bluetooth parts so that operation should be improved from what you're already seeing. I don't know for sure about the skipping though...I know other iPhone users have talked about something similar. I'm not sure where that issue is coming from, the iPhone or the PDIM. If the update improves things, I guess we'll know the answer to that question
I've heard sporadic "skipping" via USB Flash as well.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
badkarma

Just been flashed with the PDIM update. No problems on the way home. Guess only time will tell.

Took about an hour. Like said before, take a printout of the updates for you VIN. A lot of dealers have no knowledge of some of the available updates.