Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Need some opinions/help...

So I'm going crazy trying to figure something out before the opportunity disappears: whether to pre-order.

First, here's what I want... Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS with the RS package (and probably black hockey stick stripes and rear blackout later). I'm leaning towards Black interior, but only because I'd want the black carpet/headliner. Otherwise I want the Gray.

I'm the type of guy who will typically wait for a deal to come up before buying something. A fantastic example would be the TV I bought recently. I saw it for a good deal, but was hoping to spend a little less. I waited and it sold out on Amazon, but then I found it for about $400 less, so I felt justified in pulling the trigger.

So here's my predicament. Since my fiancee is interested in getting my car ('07 G35S, fully paid), I won't be trading it in/selling it to knock off a significant amount of the initial cost of the Camaro. I can order the car I want through a dealer 5-10 miles away for $98 over invoice plus dealer fees, so I know the price I'm looking at, but without being able to trade my G35, I'd be looking at a car payment that's higher than I'd like (if I've done the math right, that is).

Factor in the notion that, if I wait, maybe the car I want will show up on a lot and sit there until I can get it cheaper and I just don't know what to do. Or maybe I'm wrong and, if I don't pre-order, I'll be screwed.

Thoughts?

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
The problem with waiting is not getting exactly what you want. At $98 over invoice, you need to drive down there now and pull the trigger...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
undrcop2010

Drives: 1LT/RS SIM
if you dont mind waiting, unlike alot of us who will probably steal the demo car at our dealerships, before our cars arrive, Then wait for a deal but you'll probably be waiting for awhile for one to be just sitting there getting cheaper.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Perhaps if this car didn't have 12,000+ sold preorders, it would make sense to wait a bit. But factoring in the fact that its doubtful many dealers will be getting "lot" cars until perhaps November, you're really not "pulling the trigger". I'd imagine you'd have to wait at least a year to see anything cheaper than MSRP off the lot. To me, the extra $2k or 3k I have to pay now vs a year from now is worth having it a year earlier.

Also, there is the notion that the price may increase post-preordering. If you order now, you know you're going to be able to get the Camaro at the lowest MSRP it will be offered at.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Miamimatt

Drives: 2 LT RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Miamimatt
its simple for me. im going to wait for at least 6 months. I am going to continue to save for a down payment. like you i do not want a high monthly payment. I figure its better to wait and be able to afford it then rush in and be over your head, especially in this economy. Money sense is smart sense. Waiting is hard to do, but in the end you may get it cheap when the hype dies down. goodluck
Miamimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
that's a real dilemma. it's gonna be real hard to say there will be a lot car sitting around long enough to have markdowns in the near future... especially in aqua blue. since that ain't one of the recommended color combos, it ain't likely a dealer will just order one for the lot.

then you have the incentives of 100 bucks over invoice, getting the exact car you want, and having the initial pricing fixed. yes, it will cost a little more, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth it to you.

another thing to consider is the fact you're getting married sometime soon. as you probably already know, that costs money too - not just the wedding & formalities, but the new expenses incurred with supporting two people now instead of one.

i hope at least some of that helps you reach a good decision!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
They just announced the price increase, so you're already behind the deal! See other threads relating to price increases...
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
VenomZ302

Bah. You guys are not helping... =P

Maybe I'll just make sure the deposit's refundable and order just in case.

7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
I say wait a year, especially if you're getting married and going to buy a new car with no trade in. You have a really nice paid-for G35 so what's the hurry? I bought a first-year 8th-gen Civic and it was back in several times for warranty work, and that's on a Honda. The Camaro is bound to have teething problems that you will escape by waiting for the '11 models, plus the initial price/scarcity issues will have settled down by then. A lot of folks here just have to have the first one their block and that's fine, but you don't strike me as set up for that. Getting married, a practically new paid-for G35, and worried about high car payments does not qualify you as an early adopter. My opinion.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 03-04-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suskam View Post
They just announced the price increase, so you're already behind the deal! See other threads relating to price increases...
What are you talking about? Are you thinking of the small invoice increase that happened on Feb 18th? If so, that didn't affect the MSRP - that stayed as it was. I think what he is worried is that the new MSRP *could* be higher (no confirmation yet) after the initial pre-orders.
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
VenomZ302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I say wait a year, especially if you're getting married and going to buy a new car with no trade in. You have a really nice paid-for G35 so what's the hurry? I bought a first-year 8th-gen Civic and it was back in several times for warranty work, and that's on a Honda. The Camaro is bound to have teething problems that you will escape by waiting for the '11 models, plus the initial price/scarcity issues will have settled down by then. A lot of folks here just have to have the first one their block and that's fine, but you don't strike me as set up for that. Getting married, a practically new paid-for G35, and worried about high car payments does not qualify you as an early adopter. My opinion.
Yeah. I think I probably agree with you. Aside from being an enthusiast, one of the reasons for wanting the Camaro over the G35 is that I'm next to positive the Camaro will get better mileage (even if I have to go with a V6). My G35 definitely gets a decent amount less than sticker MPG.

7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
Joe Remi

Drives: '17 Impala V6 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZ302 View Post
My G35 definitely gets a decent amount less than sticker MPG.
That's cuz your girlfriend's driving it with your credit card!
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

I think you have a heck of a deal there, I'd go for it.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #14
VenomZ302

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesserayjames View Post
I think you have a heck of a deal there, I'd go for it.
Edit: Nevermind. I figured out what you were saying.

Well, maybe the real question is how hard do you think it will be for me to find an Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS with the RS package if I don't order it myself?

7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579

Last edited by VenomZ302; 03-04-2009 at 03:05 PM.