#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-17-2023, 06:00 AM   #15
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
With a brand-new car, use what it's got. This site has sections with a gazillion posts on drag and road course racing.
This is truly bad advice. I use Brembo HTC 64 and really like it and was designed to be used in Brembo systems. One thing though, it is not clear when new.

One thing not mentioned is I am assuming you are new to the track and something I did when new and have seen in others as well is that beginners tend to heat the brakes up significantly more than experienced drivers. Experienced drives will get on the brakes hard for a shorter period of time and then get off quickly. New drivers will get on the brakes softer earlier and stay on them longer causing more heat to build up. I ran with the stock fluid when I first started and got the soft pedal a couple times before I swapped the fluid, luckily I was at a short slow track when it happened.
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:32 AM   #16
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
definitely use a DOT 4 brake fluid with higher boiling temperature as mentioned above...the stock fluid is crap and will cause you grief. The statements above about the brake fluid freshness are sketchy to say the least. Top 3 fluids are Castrol SRF, Brembo HTC64, and Endless RF650 (my favorite). The major reason why I like Endless is that it starts out crystal clear and when bleeding you can see the new fluid is present at the bleeder. It also has very low compressibility and the pedal is rock hard compared to SRF. HTC64 is great too but I hate the dingy amber color when new and I cannot gauge the fluid condition with a visual inspection. All of this is personal preference and none of them are perfect. For the price, I also like Amsoil Dominator racing brake fluid which is rarely mentioned but performs well. Get the proper CT5v Blackwing air ducts as they help direct air to cool the rotors on track.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:16 AM   #17
OneLapWonder

Drives: 2008 Audi RS4
The car is heavy and powerful so it requires a lot of brake and heat generated to slow it down.

The first time you boil the brake fluid, whether due to age or incorrect temperature rating, you’ll feel the pedal sink more than it should and braking power start to fade so you’ll instinctively try to brake harder but without any additional reverse G’s felt.. Whether you catch it in time or have enough buffer to prevent deviating from the line is likely the only thing to save you. If you survive the first event, test the brake pedal firmness before the next typical begin of brake point.

I did my first track day on 2 year old DOT4 fluid (thinking it would be fine) and by the 5th lap of the first session, I had to come in and flush the fluid at the event. This was a short (1.4 mi) track with two long straights ending in threshold braking and a moderate but acute brake zone shortly after the first. A shorter track did not give much time to cool the brakes.

Don’t make the same mistake.
2018 Chebby Camaro ZLE HMB
OneLapWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:01 PM   #18
VaporPressure

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Stephen, I've thought a bit about going from SRF to Endless, for the pedal feel. But I like that I really don't have to change out the SRF except at the beginning of each season. How often does the Endless need to be changed?

As for OP - I agree with those saying the brake fluid is the most important. Nice thing about ZL1 1LE is that's really all you need in order to show up and lap all day.

As for other tips - depends on your pace and any previous experience tracking...but if you're totally new, I'd consider mounting tires that are a little less aggressive, and offer better cold grip. If you're new to the Supercar 3R it can be surprising how little grip you have on that first lap. You might not make the most of them. MP4S or Continental ECS are common options and lots of people like it for regular road duty as well, or maybe something like a 200TW tire if you want more grip (Regular Supercar 3, Falken 660, etc).

Last edited by VaporPressure; 07-18-2023 at 05:22 PM.
VaporPressure is offline   Reply With Quote