Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #1
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
I’ve found the secret sauce (track pads) – Part 2

Disclaimer – these pads were used on the sister car to the 1LE, my beloved Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing. The brake system and weight of the car (3800 lb.) is so similar to the 1LE, that in my opinion it’s a valid way to compare between the 2 cars.

Several years ago, I’ve posted here about the Magic Pads (part 1) which were one of my favorite track pads for my 6Gen Camaro – Raybestos ST43. A lot have changed since then and Raybestos started to disappear from the track market.

As a background, I’ve been tracking various high horsepower / heavy cars in the past 10+ years and I’m currently running in the advance group with several organizations such as PCA and BMW.

A few months ago, I’ve seen a post about a new compound from EBC which claims to change the approach for track pads. They’ve created a pad using Sintered Technology, which is widely used in the motorcycle world, but have yet to be used for automobiles. This technology is supposed to increase pad life and to eliminate the bedding process (just drive 2 laps on the track and you are good to go).

In the past, I’ve used other track pads offered by EBC, but I’ve found them to be a better fit for lighter / lower HP cars.

I’ve been thru so many pads in the past years – from stock, Carbotech , Gloc, Ferodo , Pagid , PFC and more. These EBC SR series pads are THE NEW MAGIC PAD. I’ve chose to use the lower friction compound, SR11, which has a crazy linear torque curve (around 0.50 MU). These pads will smash your face into the windshield and are more than enough for aggressive street tires. If you are riding on slicks, you can try their SR21, but in my opinion, SR11 are already aggressive enough for 200TW tires and maybe even more. Modulation was pretty good for such high torque. It took me a couple of days of street driving to get used to it and I was good to go (in the Blackwing it’s better to set the brake pedal for track mode even for street driving).

Now – to the magic part: in the past, I would get no more than 4 days on a track pad. They would just get worn out / get tapered / create a bad rotor judder.
I’m happy to announce that after 3 hard days at VIR (very aggressive on pads), I’ve measured the pads and they lost anywhere from zero to 1 mm in thickness. My rotors lost 1-2 tenths of mm in thickness (similar to the wear I got after a track weekend with stock pads) and more than that – they didn’t even develop thin heat checks!

I’ve let a pro driver try these pads on my car for 1 session and he was pleasantly surprised.

All of this for a reasonable price of ~$300. I’m going to get a lifetime of these pads before they disappear…Please feel free to ask any question you might have.
The king is dead. Long live the new king!

PS- here's a little video with a few hot laps from the weekend
https://youtu.be/_whshb2Acws

Last edited by mbar; 04-26-2023 at 03:56 PM.
mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #2
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Old 04-26-2023, 05:29 PM   #3
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Many of the guys that were at Carbotech went to Gloc and definitely took some genius with them. I switched from Hawk DTC’s 60/70 (very hard on rotors) to Gloc. Definitely interested in hearing more about the EBC’s from other racers.

https://youtu.be/EKU9e19CBHY
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:13 PM   #4
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
I would be interested if EBC had a viable affordable option, but I've not had good results with EBC in the past.

Ex Spec Miata driver.
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:24 PM   #5
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Very cool feedback, thanks for sharing. I've stuck to the OEM Ferodo HP1000 pads since starting HPDE, but I'm about to try the DS1.11 pads at my next event. I killed my last set of OEM Ferodos at my last 3 day event at Watkins Glen.

I was planning to try G-Loc this season as well, but now you have me thinking these EBC pads may be worth a shot.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:45 PM   #6
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Very cool feedback, thanks for sharing. I've stuck to the OEM Ferodo HP1000 pads since starting HPDE, but I'm about to try the DS1.11 pads at my next event. I killed my last set of OEM Ferodos at my last 3 day event at Watkins Glen.

I was planning to try G-Loc this season as well, but now you have me thinking these EBC pads may be worth a shot.
Sounds like you are getting faster
DS1.11 are a great pad. But the price is very steep and not worth it IMHO.
Carbotec/Gloc 12 are good but last not more than 2-3 days. Higher compounds starting to chew up on the rotors. XP10 is good for light weight/novice driver.
Just my opinion. Everybody drives different and on a different track.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #7
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Used carbotech 12's last season, this season I switched to DTC 60 along with a new rotor. I might give these a go depending on how the DTC's work for me. Id rather change the compound when I do a new rotor. DTC's have a lot more bite but they don't stop any faster or slower than the carbotech. The carbotech lasted me 17 track days. If the DTC's truly are worse on rotors then I expect to them to not even last a whole year. We will see.
Christian1LE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:47 PM   #8
Ryfly05

Drives: 22 2SS 1LE
Thanks for the info! 3 trackdays down, I'm close to needing new pads and do need new tires. What is the actual part number that will fit our cars? I looked but couldn't find it.

438 whp 411 wtq -SAE- pump gas on mustang dyno.
Ryfly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:04 PM   #9
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryfly05 View Post
Thanks for the info! 3 trackdays down, I'm close to needing new pads and do need new tires. What is the actual part number that will fit our cars? I looked but couldn't find it.
For SS 1LE
Front: DP81853.15SR11
Rear: DP83023.15SR11
Old 04-26-2023, 09:10 PM   #10
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Thanks for the info, great data.

I just changed to Cobalts and will have a report after this weekend.

Ken
Old 04-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I have a hard time believing sintered is going to last longer. I use them for DH racing and long descents down 50% grades, but rotor heat capacity is a huge deal there too. Its the extended braking where these both shine, but they eat the rotors faster too. They dont glaze like organics, but I have my doubts here, theres always a tradeoff.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:15 PM   #12
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
At half the price of Ferodo 3.12 I'll have to try them when my 3.12s wear out. Thanks for the post!

Any comments on how these work cold? Right now I switch between 3.12 and OEM for street and autox use and wonder if the EBCs could possibly do both? Quote from EBC site:

"...we have many drivers who use these on the open road with no complaints..."

I know some guys who just leave 3.12s in all the time but I wince when I hit the brakes on cold 3.12s, lol.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:46 PM   #13
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Disclaimer – these pads were used on the sister car to the 1LE, my beloved Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing. The brake system and weight of the car (3800 lb.) is so similar to the 1LE, that in my opinion it’s a valid way to compare between the 2 cars.

Several years ago, I’ve posted here about the Magic Pads (part 1) which were one of my favorite track pads for my 6Gen Camaro – Raybestos ST43. A lot have changed since then and Raybestos started to disappear from the track market.

As a background, I’ve been tracking various high horsepower / heavy cars in the past 10+ years and I’m currently running in the advance group with several organizations such as PCA and BMW.

A few months ago, I’ve seen a post about a new compound from EBC which claims to change the approach for track pads. They’ve created a pad using Sintered Technology, which is widely used in the motorcycle world, but have yet to be used for automobiles. This technology is supposed to increase pad life and to eliminate the bedding process (just drive 2 laps on the track and you are good to go).

In the past, I’ve used other track pads offered by EBC, but I’ve found them to be a better fit for lighter / lower HP cars.

I’ve been thru so many pads in the past years – from stock, Carbotech , Gloc, Ferodo , Pagid , PFC and more. These EBC SR series pads are THE NEW MAGIC PAD. I’ve chose to use the lower friction compound, SR11, which has a crazy linear torque curve (around 0.50 MU). These pads will smash your face into the windshield and are more than enough for aggressive street tires. If you are riding on slicks, you can try their SR21, but in my opinion, SR11 are already aggressive enough for 200TW tires and maybe even more. Modulation was pretty good for such high torque. It took me a couple of days of street driving to get used to it and I was good to go (in the Blackwing it’s better to set the brake pedal for track mode even for street driving).

Now – to the magic part: in the past, I would get no more than 4 days on a track pad. They would just get worn out / get tapered / create a bad rotor judder.
I’m happy to announce that after 3 hard days at VIR (very aggressive on pads), I’ve measured the pads and they lost anywhere from zero to 1 mm in thickness. My rotors lost 1-2 tenths of mm in thickness (similar to the wear I got after a track weekend with stock pads) and more than that – they didn’t even develop thin heat checks!

I’ve let a pro driver try these pads on my car for 1 session and he was pleasantly surprised.

All of this for a reasonable price of ~$300. I’m going to get a lifetime of these pads before they disappear…Please feel free to ask any question you might have.
The king is dead. Long live the new king!

PS- here's a little video with a few hot laps from the weekend
https://youtu.be/_whshb2Acws
When you say pad judder is that because of how the pad tapered or from pad deposit? Thanks
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:27 AM   #14
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004YZFR1 View Post
When you say pad judder is that because of how the pad tapered or from pad deposit? Thanks
Judder from hot spotting the rotor / pad deposit