Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-06-2022, 08:39 AM   #1
Sayykidd

Drives: 2020 camaro ss
Speed engineering 2020 ss

Hey guys I want to buy speed engineering headers this week. My question is do I need everything from them like new bolts, spark plugs, 02 extension. Also another question I have the awe track exhaust and I know I got to change the x pipe if I don’t want to do any fabrication of the exhaust but there shouldn’t be any issues adding speed eng headers and they’re x pipe on to the exhaust correct ?
Sayykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:42 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayykidd View Post
Hey guys I want to buy speed engineering headers this week. My question is do I need everything from them like new bolts, spark plugs, 02 extension. Also another question I have the awe track exhaust and I know I got to change the x pipe if I don’t want to do any fabrication of the exhaust but there shouldn’t be any issues adding speed eng headers and they’re x pipe on to the exhaust correct ?
I wouldn’t install headers without ceramic coating first IMO. Your existing spark plugs should be fine depending on what you’re doing/have done for mods.

That will be loud AF, FYI lol. I have 2” headers to AWE Touring catback and was ear splitting. I ended up adding the Magnaflow center muffler so I guess you’ll have to see what you think.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
Sayykidd

Drives: 2020 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I wouldn’t install headers without ceramic coating first IMO. Your existing spark plugs should be fine depending on what you’re doing/have done for mods.

That will be loud AF, FYI lol. I have 2” headers to AWE Touring catback and was ear splitting. I ended up adding the Magnaflow center muffler so I guess you’ll have to see what you think.
Gonna do max n/a build
Sayykidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Get one of these and u will need wires. Need 1 extension for drivers side sensor..
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...k+plugs&pos=10

The best I have seen are the gpi. Great wires. Do take the time and get them coated. Very well worth it.

I would skip the wrapping thing and just getem coated. U can put the starter shield back on after install. Have to take the skid plate off and maybe loosen the starter and remove the shield to install. Passenger side is tight but will go. Steering link will need to be removed and no special bolt required their I don't think. Go for the 2 inch. Perfect fit and no rubbing. Little tight on drivers side knock sensor shield. I did clearance mine a tad.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #5
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
you will ultimately only need 1 o2 extension. plugs are not necessary but you will remove the factory spark plugs during header install anyway. i would suggest a good plug boot at minimum as the stock wires are very close to the primaries in most places and almost impossible to avoid contact. i run an ngk LTR5ix-11 plug (changed annually) and the granatelli plug wires with boots. no issues with lots of use.

i have had 2" primary speed engineering headers on my car since 3/20 (22k miles at this point) and have had 0 issues with the headers not being ceramic coated. i reinstalled the factory heat shield on the starter and haven't had any starter issues. car is still on the factory battery. only thing worth noting is the primary nearest the plastic collar on the steering shaft. the collar on mine got hot and deformed, self clearanced, if you will.

i had to remove the starter & passenger side valve cover and feed the header in from the top. remember how the dipstick comes out, it was the worst part of the install. drivers side slid right in with steering shaft removal.